Klay Thompson: Warriors Rejecting Trade Offers 'Really Cool'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Klay Thompson: Warriors Rejecting Trade Offers 'Really Cool' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Klay Thompson has been the subject of trade interest this offseason from both the Indiana Pacers for Paul George and the Cleveland Cavaliers for Kyrie Irving.

The Warriors passed on both proposals for Thompson.

“It's really cool,” he said. “It shows the Warriors believe in me and these other teams want me to be a part of their success. So I appreciate it. I've been in trade rumors forever. Everyone has. Except for maybe LeBron James, Steph — well, even Steph early in his career. It's part of the business. It is flattering and I do appreciate it.”

Thompson was asked about his involvement in trade rumors.

"Yeah. They're just rumors. You gotta deal with that as a professional. The only untouchables in this league, there might be like five or six of them. Other than that, you have to expect it. When you hear the rumors, it means you're wanted. You're doing something right. Look at the bright side. But I'm happy I'm still with the Warriors. I hope to be here my whole career. It's a great place to play."

Via Anthony Slater/The Athletic

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Klay Thompson: Warriors Rejecting Trade Offers 'Really Cool' 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:34 pm

Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Curry and KAT are probably the only untouchables in the nba not just because they are cream of the crop in talent but they are also on teams be it organizationally or talent wise that is prime for success. Westbrook and Harden are tradeable because many people doubt wither can lead a team to a title as #1 option because of high usage and in harden's case atrocious defense. And Anthony Davis is not on the list because I think everyone and their nephew thinks he will end his career somewhere else than New Orleans.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Sam195 wrote:Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Curry and KAT are probably the only untouchables in the nba not just because they are cream of the crop in talent but they are also on teams be it organizationally or talent wise that is prime for success. Westbrook and Harden are tradeable because many people doubt wither can lead a team to a title as #1 option because of high usage and in harden's case atrocious defense. And Anthony Davis is not on the list because I think everyone and their nephew thinks he will end his career somewhere else than New Orleans.

I don't know man, don't love this take.
Russ is pretty untouchable, unless he forces his way out. What fair trade could you make for him?

Think of it this way:
When has Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Curry, and KAT led their team to a title as the #1 option - without other greats?
Lebron had D Wade + Chris Bosh (+Ray Allen) in Miami, Kyrie and K Love (+ a cast of 3 pt shooters) in Cleveland -- a roster perfectly built for him to succeed. KD had Steph, Klay, and Dray. KD had Russ (and early Harden) to get to the Finals. Steph had Klay, Dray, (and a prime Andre Igoudala). KAT doesn't have a title. Kawhi played with 3 future Hall of Famers.

I get the AD and Harden take, but even they are pretty untouchable now. NOLA has two stud bigs with no incentive to move either while they try to keep AD happy. Harden has CP3 and can focus more on the defensive side now that he doesn't have to spend all his energy on offense. I think it really just comes down to what potential fair trades you would make for these superstars.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#4 » by FreeBoosie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:05 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
Sam195 wrote:Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Curry and KAT are probably the only untouchables in the nba not just because they are cream of the crop in talent but they are also on teams be it organizationally or talent wise that is prime for success. Westbrook and Harden are tradeable because many people doubt wither can lead a team to a title as #1 option because of high usage and in harden's case atrocious defense. And Anthony Davis is not on the list because I think everyone and their nephew thinks he will end his career somewhere else than New Orleans.

I don't know man, don't love this take.
Russ is pretty untouchable, unless he forces his way out. What fair trade could you make for him?

Think of it this way:
When has Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Curry, and KAT led their team to a title as the #1 option - without other greats?
Lebron had D Wade + Chris Bosh (+Ray Allen) in Miami, Kyrie and K Love (+ a cast of 3 pt shooters) in Cleveland -- a roster perfectly built for him to succeed. KD had Steph, Klay, and Dray. KD had Russ (and early Harden) to get to the Finals. Steph had Klay, Dray, (and a prime Andre Igoudala). Kawhi and KAT don't have a title.

I get the AD and Harden take, but even they are pretty untouchable now. NOLA has two stud bigs with no incentive to move either while they try to keep AD happy. Harden has CP3 and can focus more on the defensive side now that he doesn't have to spend all his energy on offense. I think it really just comes down to what potential fair trades you would make for these superstars.

Kawhi has a title. 2014 when he the finals MVP.
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#5 » by Donnyxc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:13 pm

FreeBoosie wrote:

Thanks -- Yeah I forgot to mention that initially then edited my OP.

Kawhi played with 3 future Hall of Famers and one of the best coaches of all time.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#6 » by DaddyCool19 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
FreeBoosie wrote:

Kawhi played with 3 future Hall of Famers and one of the best coaches of all time.

Yeah, it's not like that 2 of the future HOF's were past their primes. Duncan was a 15/10ish guy while Manu only 12/3/4 ish
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#7 » by Donnyxc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:16 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:
FreeBoosie wrote:

Yeah, it's not like that 2 of the future HOF's were past their primes. Duncan was a 15/10ish guy while Manu only 12/3/4 ish

They were a good overall team though. They won 62 games, Boris Diaw and Danny Green were also very clutch players for them. Tony Parker, Duncan, and Manu were definitely past their prime no question.

I guess my original point was more that you rarely see #1 options lead a team to to a title without other greats. Like Dirk with the 2011 Mavs, that was an amazing exception.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,171

Post#8 » by cpower » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:51 pm

Klay should play with the warriors as long as he could, it's his golden ticket to the HOF.
He is also getting a lot of endorsement from outside of America. There is literally nothing for him to prove unless he wants to be alpha but he is simply not good enough.
t-rexCity
Junior
And1: 79

Post#9 » by t-rexCity » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:09 pm

You left off Javale McGee. I wouldn't trade him for a goat
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:23 pm

He's real lucky

OTOH, no wonder the Warriors don't want to trade for Kyrie and PG13?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion