Celtics, Cavs Haven't Been In Contact On Amended Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Celtics, Cavs Haven't Been In Contact On Amended Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics have not been in touch since reports surfaced more trade compensation would be needed to complete their trade of Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the Brooklyn Nets' 2018 first round pick.

Cleveland began to seek additional compensation after examining Thomas, who is recovering from a hip injury.

The sides have until Thursday to void the deal, agree upon an amended trade or extend the deadline.

The Celtics don't have a contingency plan in place on how to handle the stalemate.

Boston feels like they were transparent with Koby Altman when a trade agreement was reached about the timeline of when Thomas can return.

The Celtics refused to trade either Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown during initial talks with the Cavaliers and they're unlikely to include them now.

Via Mark Murphy/Boston Herald

smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Re: Celtics, Cavs Haven't Been In Contact On Amended Trade 

Post#2 » by smittybanton » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:19 pm

LOL. Doesnt matter what they told Cleveland. Trades aren't final until the physical. Cavs saw something they don't like. They don't have to go forward. Period. Cleveland can take Kyrie back and work another deal. Boston burnt their bridge entirely with Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder, and its hard to imagine them finding another player of Kyrie's caliber they can get with those two.

All these news stories keep pushing Boston's perspective. Just like the trade deadline. It won't matter. Cavs are going to do whats best for them, and the idea is not to commit to a dude who has hip issues and doesn't play defense to begin with.

They can move Kyrie to someone else. The Cavs want players they can build around once Lebron leaves. Denver has some nice pieces, if the goal is to match Jae Crowder, a first round pick, and a broke-down Isaiah Thomas.

As a fan of neither team, I'm not sure why this is seen as particularly vexing.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:23 pm

I feel like this is a move by Dan Gilbert, to try to negotiate with some other teams. Like "Look at what the Celtics have as a standing offer" and try to work something before Thursday.

If he doesn't find something he likes, then they'll go through with the trade on Thursday.

I honestly, wouldn't hate it if they voided it for a hypothetical Sun's or previous Buck's offer.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:26 pm

smittybanton wrote:LOL. Doesnt matter what they told Cleveland. Trades aren't final until the physical. Cavs saw something they don't like. They don't have to go forward. Period. Cleveland can take Kyrie back and work another deal. Boston burnt their bridge entirely with Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder, and its hard to imagine them finding another player of Kyrie's caliber they can get with those two.

All these news stories keep pushing Boston's perspective. Just like the trade deadline. It won't matter. Cavs are going to do whats best for them, and the idea is not to commit to a dude who has hip issues and doesn't play defense to begin with.

They can move Kyrie to someone else. The Cavs want players they can build around once Lebron leaves. Denver has some nice pieces, if the goal is to match Jae Crowder, a first round pick, and a broke-down Isaiah Thomas.

Nah. The Celtics were up front about Isaiah's health. It's been put out publicly that he isn't running yet, but he's doing shooting drills and working out on the bike.

Boston isn't going to have any trouble finding trade value for Jae Crowder on the market, with his league friendly contract. There will be plenty of suitors. Plus they keep the Nets Pick.

Cleveland, on the other hand HAS to trade Kyrie. He's said multiple times that he doesn't have an issue with not playing during Training Camp. Other teams already know the Celtics offer, so Cleveland isn't going to get a better deal than they currently got -- as Team's already know the Cav's have shown all their cards. They have no leverage.

On the other hand. Gilbert may just not see any offers he likes, and go through with this Trade on Thursday. Ho Hum.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,835

Post#5 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Donnyxc wrote:I feel like this is a move by Dan Gilbert, to try to negotiate with some other teams. Like "Look at what the Celtics have as a standing offer" and try to work something before Thursday.

If he doesn't find something he likes, then they'll go through with the trade on Thursday.

I honestly, wouldn't hate it if they voided it for a hypothetical Sun's or previous Buck's offer.

It really isn't a good trade for either party.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#6 » by TimRobbins » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Celtics just signed Hayward. Horford isn't getting any younger. Do they want to waste this season?
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:15 pm

OK, so the Cavs haven't called Ainge. Sounds like they're examining the hip, in the mean time, ah, why not troll them a bit and try to get some more stuff?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,781

Post#8 » by KamikazeK » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Basically, Cleveland believes that they have the right to agree to a deal and then turn around and demand more. What a pathetic showing by the Cavs organization. Rookies all around.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,864

Post#9 » by Duffman100 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:32 pm

KamikazeK wrote:Basically, Cleveland believes that they have the right to agree to a deal and then turn around and demand more. What a pathetic showing by the Cavs organization. Rookies all around.

If one of the assets of that deal isn't at the health they thought he was, sure. Of course they can.
Ayuandmi
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#10 » by Ayuandmi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:41 pm

Watch cavs pull this out and end up with a paul george kind of trade.. :crazy:
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#11 » by 2011Champs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 pm

Ainge would renegotiate and end up with even a better deal for Boston. Cavs best bet is to just take the trade as is and cut their losses.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#12 » by colaroaster » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:37 pm

cavs should be thankful to get a top 5 lottery pick and GTFO with anything else
jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#13 » by haste10176 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:12 am

Donnyxc wrote:
smittybanton wrote:LOL. Doesnt matter what they told Cleveland. Trades aren't final until the physical. Cavs saw something they don't like. They don't have to go forward. Period. Cleveland can take Kyrie back and work another deal. Boston burnt their bridge entirely with Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder, and its hard to imagine them finding another player of Kyrie's caliber they can get with those two.

Nah. The Celtics were up front about Isaiah's health. It's been put out publicly that he isn't running yet, but he's doing shooting drills and working out on the bike.

Boston isn't going to have any trouble finding trade value for Jae Crowder on the market, with his league friendly contract. There will be plenty of suitors. Plus they keep the Nets Pick.

Cleveland, on the other hand HAS to trade Kyrie. He's said multiple times that he doesn't have an issue with not playing during Training Camp. Other teams already know the Celtics offer, so Cleveland isn't going to get a better deal than they currently got -- as Team's already know the Cav's have shown all their cards. They have no leverage.

On the other hand. Gilbert may just not see any offers he likes, and go through with this Trade on Thursday. Ho Hum.

What is annoying here is Cavs are not saying they did not know Isiah had a problem with the hip they are saying after the examination it looks worse than what boston described and believe he may miss longer portions of the season than anticipated.. As far as have to trade Kyrie.. No cavs don't Kyrie is on a contract for two more years Cavs can keep him and play it out see if they can convince him to stay post LBJ by putting pieces around him he wants.. Boston on the other hand have to trade Thomas because he has one year left on his deal then wants max money but their bigger issue is they will have no starting point gaurd come the beginning of the season.. They have also sold the fan base on Kyrie/Hayward tandem... Kyrie is 25 and a super star on a good contract for the next two years allowing them to make further moves.. Boston have to make this trade happen they will give something up.. Its funny Kyrie is moving to a far worse team though... He is substituting LBJ for Hayward and Love for Horford.. That is clearly a weaker team... In fact that team reminds me somewhat of the Atlanta Hawks.. Good but not that good..
badax33
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#14 » by badax33 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:30 am

I agree that if Cleve doesn't agree with the Celtics medical evaluation it is their right to either ask for more assets or void the deal. However, they are not going to get a better deal, if they could, we wouldn't be here.

If I'm Danny Ainge and Cleve does decide it wants another asset, I may agree, but I'd place protection on the Net's pick, at least top 5 and maybe even top 7. Next year's draft class is outstanding and When LBJ leaves, Cleve will need that pick to begin it's rebuild.

Lastly, I saw someone say that Cleve should be talking to other team about Kyrie right now. That is illegal and would be considered tampering!!! The Celts and Cavs have a deal that is pending only physicals, it is not a period where the Cavs or Celtics can engage another team to for a better deal.
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#15 » by Donnyxc » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:36 am

haste10176 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

What is annoying here is Cavs are not saying they did not know Isiah had a problem with the hip they are saying after the examination it looks worse than what boston described and believe he may miss longer portions of the season than anticipated.. As far as have to trade Kyrie.. No cavs don't Kyrie is on a contract for two more years Cavs can keep him and play it out see if they can convince him to stay post LBJ by putting pieces around him he wants.. Boston on the other hand have to trade Thomas because he has one year left on his deal then wants max money but their bigger issue is they will have no starting point gaurd come the beginning of the season.. They have also sold the fan base on Kyrie/Hayward tandem... Kyrie is 25 and a super star on a good contract for the next two years allowing them to make further moves.. Boston have to make this trade happen they will give something up.. Its funny Kyrie is moving to a far worse team though... He is substituting LBJ for Hayward and Love for Horford.. That is clearly a weaker team... In fact that team reminds me somewhat of the Atlanta Hawks.. Good but not that good..

The Celtics are in a good place. You have to understand Brad Steven's offense to see why not having Isaiah to start the season is fine. Terry Rozier led the league in the playoffs in +/-. He is ready to step in as the primary ball handler when asked... but also Brad Steven's is going to have multiple people handle the ball in the Celtics spread offense. Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Smart can all handle the ball. Brad is focusing on positionless basketball, a la Golden State, with ball handler, wings, and bigs.

Last season Isaiah Thomas single handedly carried a team of "role players" to the Eastern Conference Finals. I think adding Kyrie actually makes them slightly weaker in the short term -- if that deal goes through. But the combinations of Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, the LAL/SAC pick, Hayward, Horford put this team in a great position in the long run. They may not be as good as the Cavs yet, but they are in a historically weak Eastern Conference.

If the trade gets voided, the Celtics can take their time with Isaiah Thomas offers. If his hip isn't as bad as they say it is, they can offer him a max contract next summer (assuming he isn't too hurt by the trade rumors, which I understand).
They can also take their time with Jae Crowder's AMAZING contract and offers for him. Plus they keep the Nets pick and Zizic.

If the trade does go through... then we're talking about the Team probably needing a year to Gel. I have faith in Brad, and a starting 5 of Kyrie + Jaylen/Smart + Hayward + Tatum/Morris + Horford/Baynes is going to do some damage in the East. So to answer your point, no, Kyrie isn't moving to a far worse team. He's moving to a team without LeBron which is not as good, but he still has a shot to lead that team and be "the guy". My one hope is that Brad beats the "ISO Joe" out of him and Defense into him.

The team is completely different than the Atlanta Hawks. That's a poor take. That team had aging vets, while the Celtics have two young studs, potentially 3 with Kyrie, and plenty of versatility. Their Bench is strong and full of young players... Semi Ojeleye, Guerschon Yabusele, Abdel Nader (D League MVP). There is a lot of potential. If they trade for kyrie, they benefit in the long run. If they keep Isaiah... they will have questions, but will also have opportunity to draft a young guard in next year's draft. These are good problems to have. I love Isaiah, and he had one of the most historic seasons in Celtic's history. But I think it may be a good business decision to trade him, whether to Cleveland or not.

Return to Wiretap Discussion