Neil Olshey Agrees To Extension With Blazers Through 2021

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Neil Olshey Agrees To Extension With Blazers Through 2021 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Neil Olshey has agreed upon a contract extension with the Portland Trail Blazers to remain with the franchise through 2021.

Olshey was entering the final guaranteed year of his contract extension signed in 2015.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: Neil Olshey Agrees To Extension With Blazers Through 2021 

Post#2 » by The_Hater » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:40 pm

He was doing a good job until he signed Crabbe, Turner and Leonard to those huge contracts. Now he's locked the Blazers into a 45 win-ish ceiling.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#3 » by the_process » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:57 pm

The Allen Crabbe trade saved his job! :lol:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:09 pm

The_Hater wrote:He was doing a good job until he signed Crabbe, Turner and Leonard to those huge contracts. Now he's locked the Blazers into a 45 win-ish ceiling.

Crabbe proved to be a good signing that was easy to get out from under. He had the second best 3pt% in the league last year. Evan Turner could still turn into something because wings are at a premium in the NBA right now. At least that was the gamble at the time of the signing. Leonard was the real blunder but I'm guessing that was at the direction of owner Paul Allen. He tends to get attached to keeping fan favorites around. And as disappointing as he is, the fans love them some Meyers Leonard!

the_process wrote:The Allen Crabbe trade saved his job! :lol:

Of the three guys mentioned above, Crabbe was probably the guy they would have most liked to hang onto. I think Olshey was coming back either way.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
The_Hater wrote:He was doing a good job until he signed Crabbe, Turner and Leonard to those huge contracts. Now he's locked the Blazers into a 45 win-ish ceiling.

Crabbe proved to be a good signing that was easy to get out from under. He had the second best 3pt% in the league last year. Evan Turner could still turn into something because wings are at a premium in the NBA right now. At least that was the gamble at the time of the signing. Leonard was the real blunder but I'm guessing that was at the direction of owner Paul Allen. He tends to get attached to keeping fan favorites around. And as disappointing as he is, the fans love them some Meyers Leonard!

Of the three guys mentioned above, Crabbe was probably the guy they would have most liked to hang onto. I think Olshey was coming back either way.

Crabbe was still a terrible signing, he's not even an NBA starter. And Olshey basically had to eat $6 million for the last 3 years of his contract by taking on Nicholson. That wasn't easy to get out from under, he was lucky that Brooklyn would rather have an overpaid Crabbe then use their cappsace more efficiently.

There's really no way to spin signing 3 bench players to those terrible deals. He would take do-overs in all 3 if given the chance again.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#6 » by monopoman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:27 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Crabbe was still a terrible signing, he's not even an NBA starter. And Olshey basically had to eat $6 million for the last 3 years of his contract by taking on Nicholson. That wasn't easy to get out from under, he was lucky that Brooklyn would rather have an overpaid Crabbe then use their cappsace more efficiently.

There's really no way to spin signing 3 bench players to those terrible deals. He would take do-overs in all 3 if given the chance again.

Crabbe could be a starter on a team that had worse starting guards than Portland. He may not be a great starter but I think he would look better in a starting role. Anyways everyone wants to get tunnel vision and only discuss his misses when he has done a lot of good for this team.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:39 pm

monopoman wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Crabbe proved to be a good signing that was easy to get out from under. He had the second best 3pt% in the league last year. Evan Turner could still turn into something because wings are at a premium in the NBA right now. At least that was the gamble at the time of the signing. Leonard was the real blunder but I'm guessing that was at the direction of owner Paul Allen. He tends to get attached to keeping fan favorites around. And as disappointing as he is, the fans love them some Meyers Leonard!

Crabbe could be a starter on a team that had worse starting guards than Portland. He may not be a great starter but I think he would look better in a starting role. Anyways everyone wants to get tunnel vision and only discuss his misses when he has done a lot of good for this team.

Crabbe will almost certainly be a starter this year. But you can't look at these three deals like they were one deal. These guys were signed for three different reasons. Crabbe is a lights out 3pt shooter in a league that continues to move in that direction. Turner was an asset stockpile for a future season when the cap was supposed to take another big leap. (The 2nd best free agent SF this summer was either Gallinari or Gay.) Leonard is essentially a mascot at this point. Nobody is trying to justify that.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#8 » by monopoman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Yep, I agree I also think people vastly underrate how hands on Paul Allen is with this team he needs a GM who won't fight him and Olshey does not fight him when he wants to make moves like say keeping Leonard.

Paul Allen might be the most hands on owner in the entire league, plenty of owners care about their teams but he does do a bit of backseat GMing and he expects the GM to follow his lead when he wants to get a deal done.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#9 » by Shem » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:15 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:Leonard was the real blunder but I'm guessing that was at the direction of owner Paul Allen. He tends to get attached to keeping fan favorites around. And as disappointing as he is, the fans love them some Meyers Leonard!

How many Blazer fans have you surveyed before saying that statement? :crazy:
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 am

Shem wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Leonard was the real blunder but I'm guessing that was at the direction of owner Paul Allen. He tends to get attached to keeping fan favorites around. And as disappointing as he is, the fans love them some Meyers Leonard!

Seems to be the consensus here in Portland. But out of curiosity, which part of that statement do you disagree with?
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#11 » by tester551 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:05 am

monopoman wrote:Yep, I agree I also think people vastly underrate how hands on Paul Allen is with this team he needs a GM who won't fight him and Olshey does not fight him when he wants to make moves like say keeping Leonard.

Paul Allen might be the most hands on owner in the entire league, plenty of owners care about their teams but he does do a bit of backseat GMing and he expects the GM to follow his lead when he wants to get a deal done.

I can't agree with your assertion that PA is hands on. He loves the draft & wants to know plans & targets (ie- involved), but he leaves the decision making to the GM (ie - hands off).

I can't believe for a second that PA directs any FA signings or other personal moves. He likes to be informed (maybe more than most owners), but approves what the GM recommends.
Shem
RealGM

Post#12 » by Shem » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:24 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Shem wrote:

Seems to be the consensus here in Portland. But out of curiosity, which part of that statement do you disagree with?

Except that it's not the consensus. Most Blazer fans can't stand Meyers.
April 4, 2014:

monopoman
RealGM

Post#13 » by monopoman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:51 am

tester551 wrote:
monopoman wrote:Yep, I agree I also think people vastly underrate how hands on Paul Allen is with this team he needs a GM who won't fight him and Olshey does not fight him when he wants to make moves like say keeping Leonard.

I can't agree with your assertion that PA is hands on. He loves the draft & wants to know plans & targets (ie- involved), but he leaves the decision making to the GM (ie - hands off).

I can't believe for a second that PA directs any FA signings or other personal moves. He likes to be informed (maybe more than most owners), but approves what the GM recommends.

Well Rich Cho was fired for wanting to take the team in a different direction than PA approved so he will at times fire a GM for not appeasing his direction with the team.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:51 am

Shem wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Shem wrote:How many Blazer fans have you surveyed before saying that statement? :crazy:

That isn't true. He was absolutely appreciated when he was on his rookie scale and shooting 50/40/90 in 15 minutes per game. The hate didn't come until he got overpaid. But casual basketball fans (which is most fans) don't know what he's getting paid. They still think his goofiness is adorable. And seriously, have you ever seen a scrub get more media attention?
Shem
RealGM

Post#15 » by Shem » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Shem wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Seems to be the consensus here in Portland. But out of curiosity, which part of that statement do you disagree with?

That isn't true. He was absolutely appreciated when he was on his rookie scale and shooting 50/40/90 in 15 minutes per game. The hate didn't come until he got overpaid. But casual basketball fans (which is most fans) don't know what he's getting paid. They still think his goofiness is adorable. And seriously, have you ever seen a scrub get more media attention?

Whatever! The hate was there well before it. Your head was just in the sand.
April 4, 2014:

Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#16 » by Soulyss » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:59 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Shem wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Seems to be the consensus here in Portland. But out of curiosity, which part of that statement do you disagree with?

I think there are some truths and overstatements here..

Generally speaking people were positive about Meyers after the 50/40/90 season... Shooting like that made his lack of a BBIQ and Horrendous Defense... something people were hopeful would get fixed with experience and time... That has NOT been the case... this all happened before the contract happened.

Meyers hasn't approached those numbers since, and hasn't shown any real defensive instincts... his contract was unjustifiable for the player he is...

I disagree with you that Casual fans "love" Meyers... They might like him off the court, but no one wants to see him on the court.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#17 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Olshey did a good job in his early tenure as the GM- Paul Allen is a great owner he never shies away from spending.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Soulyss wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Shem wrote:Except that it's not the consensus. Most Blazer fans can't stand Meyers.

I think there are some truths and overstatements here..

Generally speaking people were positive about Meyers after the 50/40/90 season... Shooting like that made his lack of a BBIQ and Horrendous Defense... something people were hopeful would get fixed with experience and time... That has NOT been the case... this all happened before the contract happened.

Meyers hasn't approached those numbers since, and hasn't shown any real defensive instincts... his contract was unjustifiable for the player he is...

I disagree with you that Casual fans "love" Meyers... They might like him off the court, but no one wants to see him on the court.

I think we agree on all counts but one. I don't think casual fan separate their on-court/off-court opinions of players. They don't follow the day to day happenings. When Aldridge left , Meyers' image replaced him in a lot of the promo materials. He is just a player they know is on the squad. I think Paul Allen gave him that contract more because fans liked him than because of what he brought to the team. Clearly the situation has evolved some, but at the time he signed the contract Leonard's image was used almost as much as Lillard's in local team promotional materials. I never said it was rational.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Shem wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Shem wrote:Except that it's not the consensus. Most Blazer fans can't stand Meyers.

Whatever! The hate was there well before it. Your head was just in the sand.

Anyone that hated Meyers Leonard when he was playing 15 minutes on rookie scale needs a big hug!

Return to Wiretap Discussion