Re: Isaiah Thomas Could Miss Most Of 17-18 If Recovery Doesn't Proceed Smoothly

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Isaiah Thomas Could Miss Most Of 17-18 If Recovery Doesn't Proceed Smoothly 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:22 pm

According to sources, there is a slight chance Isaiah Thomas could miss most of the 17-18 season if recovery from his various hip ailments does not proceed smoothly. Thomas has a bone bruise in addition to his right femoral-acetabular impingement with labral tear.

The Boston Celtics believe they were transparent with the Cleveland Cavaliers about the extent of Thomas' injury during their trade talks.

If the Cavaliers void the trade, the Celtics are confident they can get by with more playmaking from Gordon Hayward and Al Horford, while Terry Rozier and Marcus Smart would offer better defense at Thomas' position.

Thomas has publicly vowed to return from the injury as the same player.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#2 » by ZeroTolerance » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:38 pm

I hope IT stays in Boston.....

Let Cleveland wallow in their own load of crap that they are trying to peddle.....

Let that rookie GM try to explain why he balked on the Brooklyn first round pick.....

Let him also explain to his fan base how he had to take less for Kyrie from someone else.....

I'm fine with all of that....

Maybe that also means LBJ will seek greener pastures somewhere else next season?.....That will be compensation enough to the Celtics for having had to put up with this "clown circus" way of doing business....

Let them whine and cry all they want in Cleveland.... enough is enough....

No more compensation.....Not a penny more!
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#3 » by King4Day » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Well if he could miss nearly the whole year, I can get why the Cavs want more.
That Nets pick is good but it is a toss up. Chances are the Nets, while in the east, won't be terrible.
Adding a late first or a couple 2nd's shouldn't turn away the C's. It's either that or be stuck with IT, who won't be himself, and a pick that might not be as valuable as it once seemed.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
xJumpManx
Junior
And1: 23

Post#4 » by xJumpManx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:00 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:I hope IT stays in Boston.....

Let Cleveland wallow in their own load of crap that they are trying to peddle.....

Let that rookie GM try to explain why he balked on the Brooklyn first round pick.....

Let him also explain to his fan base how he had to take less for Kyrie from someone else.....

Maybe that also means LBJ will seek greener pastures somewhere else next season?.....That will be compensation enough to the Celtics for having had to put up with this "clown circus" way of doing business....

I hope its voided too. Let Celtics have no PG for the season, let the celtics deal with the fallout from Crowder being traded , I hope the Nets make the playoffs . And foremost I hope the Danny Ainge gets fired after trying to pull a fast one over another team by not fully disclosing how injured a player is.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#5 » by haste10176 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Clearly Bostons assessment was more optimistic than the cavs so cavs asking for a late first rounder to me seems easy enough.. If not Cavs should void the deal Id rather Bledsloe and Phoniex draft pick next year the west is wild and I suspect the suns will have a tougher time than the Nets.. Brooklyn have no reason to tank they will be bad but other teams are worse and have a reason to lose.. i.e. Pacers, Atlanta and the Bulls... I still think the nets pick could be top 5 but at this point even that is pretty iffy..
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#6 » by Jaw » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:36 pm

haste10176 wrote:Clearly Bostons assessment was more optimistic than the cavs so cavs asking for a late first rounder to me seems easy enough.. If not Cavs should void the deal Id rather Bledsloe and Phoniex draft pick next year the west is wild and I suspect the suns will have a tougher time than the Nets.. Brooklyn have no reason to tank they will be bad but other teams are worse and have a reason to lose.. i.e. Pacers, Atlanta and the Bulls... I still think the nets pick could be top 5 but at this point even that is pretty iffy..

Bledsoe isn't exactly a beacon of health himself. The Phoenix pick wouldn't be bad (although with Irving they'd be better and if they traded it to the Cavs they'd also have no reason to tank) but there is no guarantee Suns would even include it in a trade.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#7 » by TimRobbins » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:48 pm

Cavs should void the trade. What's the point of getting a player who can't play this season?
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#8 » by Temuhjan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:08 pm

TimRobbins wrote:Cavs should void the trade. What's the point of getting a player who can't play this season?

I do not recall any one saying IT will be out for Season 2017/18. In fact, people are saying IT COULD be out for most of 2017/18 IF recovery does not proceed smoothly. IF IT does indeed recover smoothly, you probably will see him playing by X'mas. What a Festive Giving for the Cavs!
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Re: Re: Isaiah Thomas Could Miss Most Of 17-18 If Recovery Doesn't Proceed Smoothly 

Post#9 » by fuller4379 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Never trade with the Celtics. They will screw you over every time.
Pukovnik
Senior
And1: 168

Post#10 » by Pukovnik » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:24 pm

"if the recovery doesn't go well"....isn't that the case with all injuries?

Media, again, is trying to put forward something that isn't true.
Jonosterman
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Jonosterman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Temuhjan wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:Cavs should void the trade. What's the point of getting a player who can't play this season?

IF IT does indeed recover smoothly, you probably will see him playing by X'mas. What a Festive Giving for the Cavs!

LOL you're basing your X'mas timeline on what exactly? :banghead:
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#12 » by ZeroTolerance » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

xJumpManx wrote:

I hope its voided too. Let Celtics have no PG for the season, let the celtics deal with the fallout from Crowder being traded , I hope the Nets make the playoffs . And foremost I hope the Danny Ainge gets fired after trying to pull a fast one over another team by not fully disclosing how injured a player is.

IT will be back and Danny will offer him an extension.....maybe not the Brinks truck variety, but Isaiah will be paid fairly....

Danny signed Shane Larkin as a backup insurance policy should IT be out for awhile...And Marcus Smart can handle the point just fine.....

IMO...Maybe we offer up that Brooklyn first rounder along with Crowder and one of either Tatum or Brown and get AD from the Pelicans....That would be money better spent even if we threw in the Laker pick as well...

You guys go ahead and sign LBJ next season.....beat Golden State and we will see you in the finals.....just like old times....

And Cleveland will get just what they deserve for being such a weasel....
osucavs33
Sophomore
And1: 61

Post#13 » by osucavs33 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:11 pm

It really wouldn't be hard for Koby to explain balking on the Brooklyn pick. The Brooklyn pick is the best part, but they are also banking on IT producing to make up for Kyrie. If he can't do that and can't play then the trade isn't worth it. The fan base easily would understand that. Most fans in Cleveland don't want the deal if IT can't play this year. I would be 100% ok if it is voided and then we take another deal, as long as IT can't play. If he can play then the deal won't be voided. It is that simple.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 374

Post#14 » by Elnegron » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:14 pm

haste10176 wrote:Clearly Bostons assessment was more optimistic than the cavs so cavs asking for a late first rounder to me seems easy enough.. If not Cavs should void the deal Id rather Bledsloe and Phoniex draft pick next year the west is wild and I suspect the suns will have a tougher time than the Nets.. Brooklyn have no reason to tank they will be bad but other teams are worse and have a reason to lose.. i.e. Pacers, Atlanta and the Bulls... I still think the nets pick could be top 5 but at this point even that is pretty iffy..

Lol the pick phoenix was trading is not their own. Miami owns and that would be in the 20s. Cavs better get Boston offer cause that would be the best. Boston should know cavs have 0 leverage
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#15 » by theman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Headline wrote: [enter name] Could Miss Most Of [enter season] If Recovery Doesn't Proceed Smoothly

Couldn't this be said of almost any injury?
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#16 » by theman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:28 pm

The Cavs had all of IT's medical records before the trade there was nothing hidden from them.

Thomas is better than Bledsoe, Crowder is a starter, Zizic is a talented big man, and the Bkn pick will be better than Phx. Bkn had no reason to tank last season. How did they do? Then they traded away their best player. There is no reason for them to get good players because they can finally tank next season. Pacers, Atlanta and the Bulls all have more talented rosters than Brooklyn.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#17 » by BarneyGumble » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Seriously! I mean isnt a guy who is hurt and cant play, and a gamble draft pick ENOUGH!? Greedy bastards :lol:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#18 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 pm

theman wrote:

The Cavs had all of IT's medical records before the trade there was nothing hidden from them.

Thomas is better than Bledsoe, Crowder is a starter, Zizic is a talented big man, and the Bkn pick will be better than Phx. Bkn had no reason to tank last season. How did they do? Then they traded away their best player. There is no reason for them to get good players because they can finally tank next season. Pacers, Atlanta and the Bulls all have more talented rosters than Brooklyn.

Disastrous injury problems last year in Brooklyn, otherwise would have been closer to 30 wins.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Re: Isaiah Thomas Could Miss Most Of 17-18 If Recovery Doesn't Proceed Smoothly 

Post#19 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 pm

"slight chance"?

There is a slight chance any player would be injured and be out for most of a season?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:14 am

I wish I could vow to come back as the same player... My back is killing me!

Return to Wiretap Discussion