Chris Paul Told Celtics, Warriors He Wouldn't Re-Sign During 2011 Trade Talks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Chris Paul Told Celtics, Warriors He Wouldn't Re-Sign During 2011 Trade Talks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Sep 8, 2017 10:57 pm

The Boston Celtics and Golden State Warriors pursued a trade for Chris Paul in 2011 when he was put on the trade market by the New Orleans Pelicans.

Paul preferred a trade to the Los Angeles Lakers but ended up being traded to the Los Angeles Clippers.

"When Chris Paul was in New Orleans, there were two teams that wanted to be aggressive in trading for him and he said 'I will not re-sign with you,'" said Wojnarowski about the Celtics and Warriors.

The Celtics attempted to acquire Paul by trading Rajon Rondo to the Pelicans. The advanced age of Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce was a significant reason why Paul didn't want to join the Celtics.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,189

Re: Chris Paul Told Celtics, Warriors He Wouldn't Re-Sign During 2011 Trade Talks 

Post#2 » by cedric76 » Sat Sep 9, 2017 4:39 am

Lol

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Chris Paul Told Celtics, Warriors He Wouldn't Re-Sign During 2011 Trade Talks 

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Sep 9, 2017 4:51 am

Dang, that was long long time ago.

Why suddenly resurface?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Sat Sep 9, 2017 12:04 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Dang, that was long long time ago.

Why suddenly resurface?

Cause Trump steals all the headlines and espn is trying to be relevant again - they even signed worj despite beefing with him for years. Also the GSW offer was not that great did not include Curry but Monta Ellis and picks I think. Ellis was flipped for Bogut later in the season.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#5 » by GBPackers47 » Sat Sep 9, 2017 3:48 pm

Sam195 wrote:

Why suddenly resurface?

Cause Trump steals all the headlines and espn is trying to be relevant again - they even signed worj despite beefing with him for years. Also the GSW offer was not that great did not include Curry but Monta Ellis and picks I think. Ellis was flipped for Bogut later in the season.

Funny thing is the Warriors wanted to give the Bucks Curry in that Bogut deal.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#6 » by cdubbz » Sat Sep 9, 2017 5:18 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Why suddenly resurface?

That is false.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Pandetta
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Pandetta » Sat Sep 9, 2017 5:31 pm

GBPackers47 wrote: Funny thing is the Warriors wanted to give the Bucks Curry in that Bogut deal.

The entire point of that trade was to give the keys to Curry.

This could not be more wrong.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Sat Sep 9, 2017 6:24 pm

Pandetta wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote: Funny thing is the Warriors wanted to give the Bucks Curry in that Bogut deal.

The entire point of that trade was to give the keys to Curry. This could not be more wrong.

That's also how I remember it, general consensus that Ellis wasn't conducive to winning and wasn't interested in a smaller role so they were cutting bait on him rather than investing huge in the walking surgery advertisement that was 2012 Andrew Bogut.
Spangerang
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#9 » by Spangerang » Sat Sep 9, 2017 7:33 pm

This wasnt actually a headline. This was said in passing during a larger conversation on Woj's podcast with Zach Lowe. It's now being taken out of context and made into a headline because its the beginning of September and theres no other NBA news.

Sam195 wrote:

Why suddenly resurface?

hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#10 » by hyberx » Sat Sep 9, 2017 8:35 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Why suddenly resurface?

It is definitely funny given that never happened as something Warriors wanted. Curry was on a rookie deal and younger than Monta, whom has proven not to be a winner over the years. Eventually Ws signed Curry to a bargain contract on that worrisome ankle at the time. Thinking Ws wanted to give Curry out for Bogut is quite hilarious indeed.
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#11 » by IgorK » Sat Sep 9, 2017 9:17 pm

Chris is a smart guy. C's were done at that point and Clippers were a much better fit in the end. He ran the show for the Clips, and he & Blake were LA basketball for the last few years while the Lakers took a spectacular nosedive. Great foresight by an intelligent human being.
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#12 » by JellosJigglin » Sat Sep 9, 2017 11:55 pm

IgorK wrote:Chris is a smart guy. C's were done at that point and Clippers were a much better fit in the end. He ran the show for the Clips, and he & Blake were LA basketball for the last few years while the Lakers took a spectacular nosedive. Great foresight by an intelligent human being.

Lakers took a nosedive BECAUSE of the rescinded trade for him. Pau and Odom had negative trade value after that.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#13 » by We Are Groot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:58 am

IgorK wrote: ... He ran the show for the Clips, and he & Blake were LA basketball for the last few years ...

if your intent was to say that the Clippers were the better NBA team in LA for the last few years - certainly nobody could argue that. But it's obvious you're not from LA. The Clippers have never been, nor will they ever be "LA Basketball." The City of Angels will never be a Clipper town no matter how much the gap in competitiveness is in the the Clips' favor. The Lakers were on national TV more, they made more money and had higher attendance the whole time CP3 was in LA.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#14 » by BallerTalk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:39 am

JellosJigglin wrote:
IgorK wrote:Chris is a smart guy. C's were done at that point and Clippers were a much better fit in the end. He ran the show for the Clips, and he & Blake were LA basketball for the last few years while the Lakers took a spectacular nosedive. Great foresight by an intelligent human being.

Lakers took a nosedive BECAUSE of the rescinded trade for him. Pau and Odom had negative trade value after that.

Nah, it was horrible management decisions that caused the Lakers nosedive.

Initially the Lakers recovered better than any other team in that rescinded deal and were actually able to put together an All-Star lineup the very next season.
The problems began when self-imposed urgency and egos led management to go through 3 coaches in less than one month at the start the season, culminating in hiring Mike D'Antoni over Phil Jackson (whom Kobe and Dwight wanted).

They overpaid for Nash, failed to resign Dwight, and handcuffed their salary cap to an injured Kobe. Those three things had a much bigger impact on the Lakers nosedive than anything else.
Don't blame the trade, blame Jim Buss.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#15 » by NashtyNas » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:25 am

JellosJigglin wrote:

Eric Gordon (who looked like a potential star at the time), Al-Farouq Aminu (who looked like a longterm NBA player which he has been) and what turned out to be a lottery pick is what Paul netted.... if that's what you consider "negative" value, sure - Paul had "negative" trade value. :roll:

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#16 » by Rek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:19 am

NashtyNas wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:

Eric Gordon (who looked like a potential star at the time), Al-Farouq Aminu (who looked like a longterm NBA player which he has been) and what turned out to be a lottery pick is what Paul netted.... if that's what you consider "negative" value, sure - Paul had "negative" trade value. :roll:

He said Pau - as in Gasol - Not Paul.
We Are Groot
Sophomore

Post#17 » by We Are Groot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:09 pm

BallerTalk wrote:Nah, it was horrible management decisions that caused the Lakers nosedive.

Initially the Lakers recovered better than any other team in that rescinded deal and were actually able to put together an All-Star lineup the very next season.
The problems began when self-imposed urgency and egos led management to go through 3 coaches in less than one month at the start the season, culminating in hiring Mike D'Antoni over Phil Jackson (whom Kobe and Dwight wanted).

They overpaid for Nash, failed to resign Dwight, and handcuffed their salary cap to an injured Kobe. Those three things had a much bigger impact on the Lakers nosedive than anything else.

Huh? What are you talking about?

- If the CP3 trade goes thru, there is no Nash trade. Can't overpay for a player you never trade for.

- Dwight not signing was a blessing. he peaked in ORL and we all see the player he's become. if you're saying giving Kobe a big contract after his injury was a bad move; how is maxing a declining Dwight a good one? but if you're being insistent ... a healthy Kobe and CP3 backcourt & Ron Ron @ the 4 instead of Gasol probably makes for smoother sailing for D'Antoni & Co. w/a more cohesive roster and, likely, better results. maybe Dwight is swayed @ that point.so yah, if you're saying Dwight re-signing would've been a good thing, then surely having CP3 instead of Nash that season would have helped.

- Does Kobe blow out his achilles with a healthy CP3 on the roster instead of Nash? Probly not. He wldnt have had to push as hard as he was to get them into the playoffs. So with no torn achilles, how would that extension look then? i mean, did you see Kobe playing to close out that season? he was maniacal. and just for reference, CP3 started 70 games that season. so once again, having CP3 instead of Nash may have had a profound impact here.

the three things you claim "had a much bigger impact on the Lakers nosedive than anything else" were greatly influenced by the CP3 trade getting rescinded.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#18 » by BallerTalk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:55 am

We Are Groot wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:Nah, it was horrible management decisions that caused the Lakers nosedive.

Huh? What are you talking about?

- If the CP3 trade goes thru, there is no Nash trade. Can't overpay for a player you never trade for.

- Dwight not signing was a blessing. he peaked in ORL and we all see the player he's become. if you're saying giving Kobe a big contract after his injury was a bad move; how is maxing a declining Dwight a good one? but if you're being insistent ... a healthy Kobe and CP3 backcourt & Ron Ron @ the 4 instead of Gasol probably makes for smoother sailing for D'Antoni & Co. w/a more cohesive roster and, likely, better results. maybe Dwight is swayed @ that point.so yah, if you're saying Dwight re-signing would've been a good thing, then surely having CP3 instead of Nash that season would have helped.

- Does Kobe blow out his achilles with a healthy CP3 on the roster instead of Nash? Probly not. He wldnt have had to push as hard as he was to get them into the playoffs. So with no torn achilles, how would that extension look then? i mean, did you see Kobe playing to close out that season? he was maniacal. and just for reference, CP3 started 70 games that season. so once again, having CP3 instead of Nash may have had a profound impact here.

the three things you claim "had a much bigger impact on the Lakers nosedive than anything else" were greatly influenced by the CP3 trade getting rescinded.

Too much of your comment is hindsight and speculation.

Saying Dwight was declining is clearly a hindsight statement, and not particularly accurate either. Howard was still the biggest free agent on the market that summer and he faired quite well his first couple of seasons in Houston, eventually helping them reach the WCF in just his 2nd season.
I don't think there's any question the Lakers would have been a better team then had they retained him.

Speculation over injuries is pointless on its face.
Players get injured all the time and for a myriad of reasons. Moreover, the risk of injury increases as a player ages.
Considering Kobe was 17 seasons into his NBA career when the first injury happened, it seems silly to try to attribute it to a failed trade from nearly 2 years before.

To reiterate my original point, it makes no sense to blame the Lakers demise on the CP3 trade when the franchise bounced back almost immediately. The very next season they fielded one of the most celebrated lineups in NBA history!
Granted that endeavor failed (for the reasons I pointed out) but it still marked an amazing reset for the Lakers after losing out on Chris Paul. Meanwhile the other two teams involved in the trade (New Orleans and Houston) had to find alternate routes for rebuilding.
That further highlights the fallacy of the narrative that the Chris Paul trade is responsible for the Lakers' decline.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
We Are Groot
Sophomore

Post#19 » by We Are Groot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 am

BallerTalk wrote:Too much of your comment is hindsight and speculation.

Saying Dwight was declining is clearly a hindsight statement, and not particularly accurate either. ... I don't think there's any question the Lakers would have been a better team then had they retained him.

Speculation over injuries is pointless on its face.
Players get injured all the time and for a myriad of reasons. Moreover, the risk of injury increases as a player ages.
Considering Kobe was 17 seasons into his NBA career when the first injury happened, it seems silly to try to attribute it to a failed trade from nearly 2 years before.

... To reiterate my original point, it makes no sense to blame the Lakers demise on the CP3 trade when the franchise bounced back almost immediately. The very next season they fielded one of the most celebrated lineups in NBA history! .

EDIT - and previously, from your OG post:

so i guess you had 2 "original" points ... and to re-iterate my point EVERYTHING you cited as reasons for the Lakers fall from grace was greatly influenced by the rescinded Paul trade. Which is not the same as saying the trade directly causing things. You're taking a very beyond a reasonable doubt approach to this, but surely you can't possibly think those factors were not at all affected by Paul never making it to LA.

What isn't speculation is the link bw fatigue and injuries. What also isn't speculation is, if players shoulder a lesser burden, they wear down less. So, yes, i'm speculating, but @ least imho, they're reasonable speculations. if Kobe is the same guy that closed out that season when he signs his extension, the narrative is completely different. and for the record, i'm attributing all of this (feeling a bit like a broken record here, but u keep misquoting me) to the ripple effects the rescinded trade had. No Kobe wasn't doomed to tear his achilles the day Stern intervened, but a series of events was triggered.

as far as re-signing Dwight ... better than really, really bad (not speculation btw, the past few years have been the worst run in Lakers history) is still bad. btw, speculation alert, so brace yourself (altho you speculating the Lakers would have been unquestionably better with Dwight seems to not qualify); So the team becomes Dwight's team as Kobe essentially misses the next two years. Aren't they still in a tailspin if that's the case? Or is your contention that Dwight was so good @ the time, they would have been contenders? (long version below) i say even if the team was marginally better, that would be offset by the lack of assets gained by being really bad (draft picks & cap space). So, even if Dwight is as good as you say, and he impacts the team positively, they're a better team with a messier cap sheet and lesser long term assets. Long story short, they'd be in an arguably worse situation even if you say the team would be better on the court, which of course is no way shape or form speculation bc u said it.

yes they pivoted and recovered (?) ... but they did that in reaction to the rescinded trade!! how much more black and white can it get? that's not to say there's a definite causal relationship, but only strong contributing factors.

=Long version of Dwight staying in LA=
let's compromise and say the team is an OK team, but instead of just Kobe's bad contract, they have max money tied up in Dwight (not that it mattered as they didn't do anything of note w/that cap space). Further, had the team invested in Dwight and built around him, the problems are compounded as that would be a shift away from the modern NBA. So @ best, if Dwight was the very good player you say he was (Rox went to the playoffs cuz of Harden, not Dwight; if anything he got in the way more than he helped; if he was so good, why'd they let him walk?) the Lakers are a fringe playoff team (better than 14 Dallas? 15 Pels or Mavs?) and don't get the picks they got, bc Dwight "saved" them. Well my friend, this is still "nosedive" territory; only now they're even less asset rich and our current rebuild would only be in year 1. Unless ofc, you think Dwight is so good we cldv snagged a noteworthy FA while he's with LA; i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that doesn't happen, besides, it would be speculation.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#20 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Boston still should've made the trade. I said
it then and continue to now. The offense would've been tremendously better. the defense would've been better consistently. There may have been chemistry problems initially but i doubt it. Ray Allen would've loved playing with CP3

Return to Wiretap Discussion