Andrew Wiggins, Wolves Expected To Finalize $148M Extension Before Camp

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Andrew Wiggins, Wolves Expected To Finalize $148M Extension Before Camp 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:10 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves and Andrew Wiggins are expected to finalize a five-year, $148 million extension before the start of training camp.

Wiggins and the Wolves have been close to agreement on an extension for several weeks.

Glen Taylor has reportedly wanted a sit down with Wiggins before finalizing the extension.

Via Darren Wolfson/ESPN

Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,267

Re: Andrew Wiggins, Wolves Expected To Finalize $148M Extension Before Camp 

Post#2 » by Frank Dux » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 pm

This cant be real.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,553

Post#3 » by adjacent2bench » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Frank Dux wrote:This cant be real.

You expect a 20 year old 20 ppg scorer/former #1 draft pick to get anything less than the max?
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#4 » by dice » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:35 pm

adjacent2bench wrote:

You expect a 20 year old 20 ppg scorer/former #1 draft pick to get anything less than the max?

he's been in the league 3 years. his draft status is entirely irrelevant at this point. if an inefficient 20ppg (terrible in crunch time) and bad defense is worthy of a max deal, then...
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,553

Post#5 » by adjacent2bench » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 pm

dice wrote:
adjacent2bench wrote:

he's been in the league 3 years. his draft status is entirely irrelevant at this point. if an inefficient 20ppg (terrible in crunch time) and bad defense is worthy of a max deal, then...

#1 factors because of potential.

If he was say maybe the 25th pick and 24 years old with same stats, doubt he gets this type of max.
dice
RealGM

Post#6 » by dice » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm

adjacent2bench wrote:
dice wrote:
adjacent2bench wrote:

#1 factors because of potential.

which only matters if a guy isn't living up to his potential but for some reason that is expected to change. if tom thibodeau couldn't get him to play defense last season...

If he was say maybe the 25th pick and 24 years old with same stats, doubt he gets this type of max.

that's true
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#7 » by Sam195 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:28 pm

dice wrote:
adjacent2bench wrote:

He was offered this contract on July 1 - and fired his agent like a week later. Wiggins wants more money - he wants the rose rule provision in his deal so if he makes an all nba team or meets some other set requirement next season - his max starts at 30% of the cap instead of 25%. So he could make a contract close to 5 years 175M instead of 5 years 148M. He also wants an opt out on the final year of the deal but wolves owner wants a firm 5 year commitment if he is spending this much cash - Wiggins however knows he will get a max offer sheet if he pursued free agency and potentially bigger endorsements in a bigger market if he becomes a ufa like Nerlens Noel by signing a 1 - year qualifying offer deal.
eddie jerel
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#8 » by eddie jerel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:02 am

Why they are "playing" games i don't know,but not giving him Max will end up costing them more. Since if he makes it to an RFA some team WILL give him the Opt Out he wants in addition to Max money meaning IF Deal is matched T'Wolves would only have him 3 more yrs instead of 5. He'd also most likely leave then. Teams give Max Deals to anyone,but Wiggins deserves One if only b/c of his Age and Production.
dice
RealGM

Post#9 » by dice » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:14 am

eddie jerel wrote:Why they are "playing" games i don't know,but not giving him Max will end up costing them more. Since if he makes it to an RFA some team WILL give him the Opt Out he wants in addition to Max money meaning IF Deal is matched T'Wolves would only have him 3 more yrs instead of 5. He'd also most likely leave then. Teams give Max Deals to anyone,but Wiggins deserves One if only b/c of his Age and Production.

what will cost them the most is if they re-sign him, period

and his production sucks. he just shoots a lot
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#10 » by haste10176 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:16 am

Honestly wolves should trade him.. His contract will drag this team down.. KAT and Butler and another star and wiggins is not that other star..
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#11 » by Sam195 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 am

dice wrote:
eddie jerel wrote:Why they are "playing" games i don't know,but not giving him Max will end up costing them more. Since if he makes it to an RFA some team WILL give him the Opt Out he wants in addition to Max money meaning IF Deal is matched T'Wolves would only have him 3 more yrs instead of 5. He'd also most likely leave then. Teams give Max Deals to anyone,but Wiggins deserves One if only b/c of his Age and Production.

He's 22 and missed one game in 3 seasons. This contract even without opt out for 5 years will end the same season when he's 28 and the middle of his prime. His first three seasons in the league are actually better than comparable small forwards in Paul George, Gordon Hayward and Jimmy Butler. And he is already a better defender than Melo and Durant. Raptors and other teams would kill to trade Derozan or w.e to get him and even max him out.

And I think wolves caved if they didn't offer the rose rule and the opt out - he is better off playing the season then inking a 4 year max offer sheet with opt out and becoming a ufa in 3 seasons. He just saw Otto Porter get 4 years 106m and they are not close to the same level or have same ceiling.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#12 » by deeps6x » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:52 am

Sam195 wrote:
dice wrote:

He's 22 and missed one game in 3 seasons. This contract even without opt out for 5 years will end the same season when he's 28 and the middle of his prime. His first three seasons in the league are actually better than comparable small forwards in Paul George, Gordon Hayward and Jimmy Butler. And he is already a better defender than Melo and Durant. Raptors and other teams would kill to trade Derozan or w.e to get him and even max him out.

And I think wolves caved if they didn't offer the rose rule and the opt out - he is better off playing the season then inking a 4 year max offer sheet with opt out and becoming a ufa in 3 seasons. He just saw Otto Porter get 4 years 106m and they are not close to the same level or have same ceiling.

28 is the statistical PEAK of a player's prime. Only the freaks hang on and do better later in life.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#13 » by Donnyxc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Didn't he play good defense in college? I find it hard to believe that he's still adjusting to effort spent in the NBA.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#14 » by Stratmaster » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Oh Oh. They better have an extension ready for Jimmy Buckets next season.

Looking like ~90 mil for Wiggins, Butler and KAT by 2019-2020 if they want to keep all 3.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#15 » by hyberx » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:40 am

There is your Harrison Barnes v2.0, without the defense HB played with the Ws.

Return to Wiretap Discussion