Andre Iguodala Nearly Left Warriors For Rockets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Andre Iguodala Nearly Left Warriors For Rockets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Andre Iguodala was disappointed by the Golden State Warriors' opening contract offer in free agency of $36 million over three years with a partial guarantee in the final year.

Rival teams believed Iguodala wanted a three-year deal close to $50 million that was fully guaranteed.

Iguodala felt as though he had already sacrificed financially when he signed with the Warriors on a four-year, $48 million deal and then accepted a lesser role when Steve Kerr became coach.

Bob Myers increased the Warriors' offer to $42 million over three years with a partial guarantee in the third year.

Iguodala ceased communication with the Warriors at that point.

When free agency began, Iguodala took a conference call with the Los Angeles Lakers and then met in person with representatives from the San Antonio Spurs. San Antonio offered Iguodala a four-year deal that was fully guaranteed starting at the $8.4 million non-taxpayer midlevel.

The Sacramento Kings were the final team to meet with Iguodala on the opening night of free agency. They were committed to giving him the highest offer on the market but only if he accepted it on the spot.

The Houston Rockets' meeting lasted almost two hours and was termed as "the best recruiting presentation of all time," according to a source within Iguodala's camp. The Rockets offered a four-year, $32 million deal via their mid-level exception, but Daryl Morey also talked about various sign-and-trade scenarios that would be more lucrative. After the meeting, there was a strong sense Iguodala would end up with the Rockets.

Iguodala reopened communication with the Warriors later on July 1st and met in-person with Myers and Kerr. The objective from Iguodala's perspective was to personally say goodbye, according to sources. Iguodala wasn't budging from his request of at least $16 million per season and he was prepared to join the Rockets.

After the meeting, Iguodala's rep called Myers one last time to see if they could get a deal done. Myers then called Joe Lacob who approved a three-year, $48 million deal.

Via Chris Haynes/ESPN

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: Andre Iguodala Nearly Left Warriors For Rockets 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm

The Rockets have had a nightmare offseason after Chris Paul arrived. No Mel, no Riddick, no Iguodala.

At least we made the Warriors pay which is important.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#3 » by dan-man » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:31 pm

I would gladly "sacrifice" for a 48 million dollar pay day.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#4 » by BallerTalk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:02 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:The Rockets have had a nightmare offseason after Chris Paul arrived. No Mel, no Riddick, no Iguodala.

If that isn't a nominee for clueless comment of the month, I don't know what is. :lol:

The Rockets have had one of the best summers in the league.
They acquired a hall of fame point guard for Pat Beverley and change.
Re-signed NeNe on another team friendly deal and added Tarik Black.
Got PJ Tucker and Luc Mbah a Moute to come to Houston for less money.
And secured their franchise player for the foreseeable future by extending Harden on a max deal.

That's a helluva off-season...and that's not even counting the Melo situation.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Tofupimp
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#5 » by Tofupimp » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 pm

48m for a bench warmer
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,645

Post#6 » by DimesandKnicks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Tofupimp wrote:48m for a bench warmer

Finals MVP* Best Defender on Lebron In the League*
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,130

Post#7 » by Wallace_Wallace » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Let me get this straight, he did not want to sign a 3 year, 36 million dollar contract with GSW, but he's enticed to Houston that offered a 4 year, 32 million contract? I'm not math genius or anything, but that's a 12mil/yr (Warriors) and 8mil/yr(Rockets) contract. Even if the 3rd is partial for the Warriors, they'd probably resign him for a 2 year for about 14 million, which is still more than what the Rockets offer after 4 year......am I missing something?
Warrior-Poet
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Warrior-Poet » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:Let me get this straight, he did not want to sign a 3 year, 36 million dollar contract with GSW, but he's enticed to Houston that offered a 4 year, 32 million contract? I'm not math genius or anything, but that's a 12mil/yr (Warriors) and 8mil/yr(Rockets) contract. Even if the 3rd is partial for the Warriors, they'd probably resign him for a 2 year for about 14 million, which is still more than what the Rockets offer after 4 year......am I missing something?

I know right? I guess he was just pissed that the Warriors didn't immediately cave to his salary demands so he was willing to take way less to play for the Rockets? It doesn't make sense, but it worked - he got his payday.
TheGameWinner
Veteran
And1: 1,362

Post#9 » by TheGameWinner » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Warrior-Poet wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:Let me get this straight, he did not want to sign a 3 year, 36 million dollar contract with GSW, but he's enticed to Houston that offered a 4 year, 32 million contract? I'm not math genius or anything, but that's a 12mil/yr (Warriors) and 8mil/yr(Rockets) contract. Even if the 3rd is partial for the Warriors, they'd probably resign him for a 2 year for about 14 million, which is still more than what the Rockets offer after 4 year......am I missing something?

I know right? I guess he was just pissed that the Warriors didn't immediately cave to his salary demands so he was willing to take way less to play for the Rockets? It doesn't make sense, but it worked - he got his payday.

No state tax
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#10 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:20 pm

TheGameWinner wrote:
Warrior-Poet wrote:

No state tax

Iggy is smart. Rockets will run his body into the ground early defensively and devalue him quicker(similar to the Nuggets draining Al Harrington's body in the mid 2000s). he's on the Lakers/Spurs Robert Horry chapter of his career; save his body during the season, make some noise during the playoffs to keep his name up.
Knickstape7
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#11 » by Knickstape7 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Kawhi?
DimesandKnicks wrote:
Tofupimp wrote:48m for a bench warmer

Finals MVP* Best Defender on Lebron In the League*
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:32 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote:The Rockets have had a nightmare offseason after Chris Paul arrived. No Mel, no Riddick, no Iguodala.

If that isn't a nominee for clueless comment of the month, I don't know what is. :lol:

And secured their franchise player for the foreseeable future by extending Harden on a max deal.

Pat Beverly and Trevor Ariza were the only willing defenders (Capela still figuring out D) on last season's team. Mbah wont see the floor on D'Antoni's team unless he can hit corner 3s. PJ/CP3/Nene have old legs and are heavier which makes them remain injury proned. This Rockets team will struggle to defend 3 pass posessions the same way D'Antonis NYK teams struggled.40-45 win team.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#13 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Him & Tucker would have been a good defensive/3 point tandem.
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#14 » by mawbsta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:53 pm

BallerTalk wrote:

not getting Melo is a blessing in disguise. And to echo your sentiment, teams that are already at the top of their game don't have a lot of wiggle room and usually make "tweaks." Just because a team doesn't make earth shattering moves (and chris paul was certainly all that) dosn't mean it's a total disaster. Your points here are bang on. Houston is poised to take that step to 60-win super team. If they get Melo for scraps, that won't change the fact the Rockets have had one of - if not the best - summer roster building.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:55 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:Him & Tucker would have been a good defensive/3 point tandem.

i hope so bc i like Tucker alot. he plays the game the right way. at this stage of his career his legs are burnt up playing Defense he loses his jumpshot due to tired legs. thank goodness they still have Ariza, but Ariza getting up there in age too.
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Post#16 » by Adam Stern » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:08 pm

A nightmare?

David Aldridge/NBA.com says the exact opposite.
Houston Rockets Find Way to Get Better --Even After Blockbuster Chris Paul Trade

I remember when the news broke that Iggy was strongly considering Houston. I was surprised because I knew the Rockets couldn't offer more money. I guess they really impressed him.

It still worked out well for both sides since Iggy got the money he wanted and although getting Iguodala would have been an upgrade over Ariza, getting Tucker and Mbah a Moute for the same money while keeping Ariza was one of the best lowkey moves of the summer for Houston.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:16 pm

Adam Stern wrote:

A nightmare?

David Aldridge/NBA.com says the exact opposite.
Houston Rockets Find Way to Get Better --Even After Blockbuster Chris Paul Trade

I remember when the news broke that Iggy was strongly considering Houston. I was surprised because I knew the Rockets couldn't offer more money. I guess they really impressed him.

It still worked out well for both sides since Iggy got the money he wanted and although getting Iguodala would have been an upgrade over Ariza, getting Tucker and Mbah a Moute for the same money while keeping Ariza was one of the best lowkey moves of the summer for Houston.

David Aldridge also praised Nash to LAK. pointless
i think Hou's or Harden's people are just leaking this to keep their Value up; make sure the player reps are mindful of them as a top tier program. If i were to guess; the real threat to GSW for Iggy was truly the Spurs, Kawhi needs just a little help. An injured Kawhi almost single handedly took it to the Dubs
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,218

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:23 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

Pat Beverly and Trevor Ariza were the only willing defenders (Capela still figuring out D) on last season's team. Mbah wont see the floor on D'Antoni's team unless he can hit corner 3s. PJ/CP3/Nene have old legs and are heavier which makes them remain injury proned. This Rockets team will struggle to defend 3 pass posessions the same way D'Antonis NYK teams struggled.40-45 win team.

CP3 is nasty on D. For instance, Dalian Lillard has averaged under 17 points per game against CP3's Clippers and over 21 per game against the Rockets. That includes a 5 point 1-13 game and an 8 point 1-10 game against CP3. In fact, CP3 has held Lillard to single digits 4 out of 18 meetings which is something Beverley has never done. Stop underrating him, please.
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Post#19 » by Adam Stern » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:27 pm

gordoncatrell wrote: An injured Kawhi almost single handedly took it to the Dubs

Didn't they get swept?
Lol.

And if you think Aldridge is in the Rockets' pocket, you really haven't been paying attention.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Adam Stern wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote: An injured Kawhi almost single handedly took it to the Dubs

Didn't they get swept?
Lol.

And if you think Aldridge is in the Rockets' pocket, you really haven't been paying attention.

Game recognize Game. Iggy sees Kawhi. Iggy's Nuggets also beat down a young GSW squad the yr before Iggy went to GSW

Return to Wiretap Discussion