76ers Confident Extension Agreement Will Be Reached With Joel Embiid

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

76ers Confident Extension Agreement Will Be Reached With Joel Embiid 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:17 pm

Joel Embiid has yet to be cleared by the Philadelphia 76ers for five-on-five drills. The 76ers will take a cautious approach as he returns from his meniscus surgery.

"If you walk in the gym, it looks like he could play 5-on-5 basketball," Bryan Colangelo said. "But we're going to take our cues from the people who know best."

According to Colangelo, those people favor a "hyper-conservative progression" for Embiid.

Colangelo also said he was optimistic the 76ers and Embiid could agree to a contract extension before the deadline.

Via ESPN

Factorq
Sophomore
And1: 333

Re: 76ers Confident Extension Agreement Will Be Reached With Joel Embiid 

Post#2 » by Factorq » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:28 am

The 76ers are in a fairly unfortunate situation with Embiid. His injury history makes giving him an extension a huge risk, but another team will gladly throw him the max.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#3 » by Revived » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:52 am

This could be like a Steph Curry type thing where a player deals with injury history during his rookie contract and then balls out during his second contract.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 am

Tough situation, health first

Not conservative enough last season
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Vince604
Junior
And1: 359

Post#5 » by Vince604 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:48 am

Revived wrote:This could be like a Steph Curry type thing where a player deals with injury history during his rookie contract and then balls out during his second contract.

Exactly, which is why I'm not too concerned when people talk about Embiid's health and call him an 'injury prone' player. I actually think Steph Curry back then wasn't an injury prone player, but instead, he just waited for the right opportunity to play with the right group of players that can maximize his potential. I think Embiid is doing the same.
My all-time starting five: Hakeem Olajuwan, Michael Jordan, and three 3nD role players.

I follow the NBA, not just one team.

Vancouver Crows NBA expansion team
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#6 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:02 am

Vince604 wrote:
Revived wrote:This could be like a Steph Curry type thing where a player deals with injury history during his rookie contract and then balls out during his second contract.

Exactly, which is why I'm not too concerned when people talk about Embiid's health and call him an 'injury prone' player. I actually think Steph Curry back then wasn't an injury prone player, but instead, he just waited for the right opportunity to play with the right group of players that can maximize his potential. I think Embiid is doing the same.
so hes been purposely breaking
His legs for last 3yrs cause he didnt like the scrub teammates hes had? :lol:
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,080
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#7 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:22 am

Vince604 wrote:

Steph played 74 games or more 3 of his first 4 years. Embiid hasn't played half of 74 games in 3 years combined. This isn't the same kind of injury concerns.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:41 am

Just hope it's not like Oden, rest, rest, rest.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#9 » by Simmons25 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:09 am

Vince604 wrote:

Don't think that was the situation at all with Steph. Curry's ankles were like tissue paper and it seemed at one point he literally almost couldn't walk up the court without turning his ankle. There were grave concerns Steph's ankle may never hold up and it was the reason he was signed on such a small contract by Golden State. I remember at the time several Warriors fans not being happy that Steph had been given $11 mill a year over 4 years.

I expect similar with Embiid in that he won't get the max... he will sign at a discounted rate but enough that if he did become Greg Oden he will set himself up for life.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#10 » by njknicks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 am

Given Embiid's injury history, Sixers would be wise to fully insure the contract and have it partially guaranteed with actual playing time incentives (i.e. playing at least 65 games, averaging 2.5 bpg, 10rpg). Embiid is extremely high risk with high reward at this point - can not reward a player with an extensive contract for constantly missing entire seasons based on health even if if his potential is tantalizing. Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum are recent examples of this.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#11 » by CobraCommander » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:30 am

Vince604 wrote:

Interesting...so you for giving a guy an extension that hasn't played a full season for you? Wow i can see getting drafted on potential but getting paid on potential seems foolish.
Simmons25
Analyst

Post#12 » by Simmons25 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 am

njknicks wrote:Given Embiid's injury history, Sixers would be wise to fully insure the contract and have it partially guaranteed with actual playing time incentives (i.e. playing at least 65 games, averaging 2.5 bpg, 10rpg). Embiid is extremely high risk with high reward at this point - can not reward a player with an extensive contract for constantly missing entire seasons based on health even if if his potential is tantalizing. Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum are recent examples of this.

Problem with that is even last year Embiid was frustrated with shortened playing time and not being allowed to play back to backs.

You can't penalise the guy based on playing time and games played incentives.. when it's not him driving that. If it was up to Embiid he would be playing 40 minutes a night every night.
Simmons25
Analyst

Post#13 » by Simmons25 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:20 am

CobraCommander wrote:
Vince604 wrote:

Interesting...so you for giving a guy an extension that hasn't played a full season for you? Wow i can see getting drafted on potential but getting paid on potential seems foolish.

We are no longer paying someone based on "potential". We already know Embiid's ability based on his 31 games... he is a hall of famer if he stays fit.

You are paying him on his ability to get fit and stay fit. I would be much more concerned if he hurt his foot again last year... the knee is a new injury and can happen to any player.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#14 » by dan-man » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:50 am

Factorq wrote:The 76ers are in a fairly unfortunate situation with Embiid. His injury history makes giving him an extension a huge risk, but another team will gladly throw him the max.

I think GMs have wised up and and guys like this won't get the Max until the demonstrate the ability to be healthy over a prolonged period. Brandon Roy and Oden pushed "them" over the edge...
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#15 » by King4Day » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 pm

I could see 4 years @ 40mil total. Similar to what Curry did. And Embiid should take it.
Get security first and then worry about the big money during his next Free Agency go-round.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#16 » by Donnyxc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:54 pm

The Curry comparisons are spot on. Sixers can't pay on potential yet. Obviously they hope Embiid will become the healthy superstar, but this extension is happening in 2017, not 2019.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#17 » by Sam195 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
Vince604 wrote:

Don't think that was the situation at all with Steph. Curry's ankles were like tissue paper and it seemed at one point he literally almost couldn't walk up the court without turning his ankle. There were grave concerns Steph's ankle may never hold up and it was the reason he was signed on such a small contract by Golden State. I remember at the time several Warriors fans not being happy that Steph had been given $11 mill a year over 4 years.

I expect similar with Embiid in that he won't get the max... he will sign at a discounted rate but enough that if he did become Greg Oden he will set himself up for life.

I think he will get a 3 year max deal with no opt out. The term is more important to the sixers especially if he is still injury prone or medically retires like Bynum then his contract is off the books before likely max extensions for the likes of Fultz, Saric and Simmons start kicking in. Even Okafor might be extended by sixers as security if Joel doesn't work out.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#18 » by Sam195 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:11 pm

njknicks wrote:Given Embiid's injury history, Sixers would be wise to fully insure the contract and have it partially guaranteed with actual playing time incentives (i.e. playing at least 65 games, averaging 2.5 bpg, 10rpg). Embiid is extremely high risk with high reward at this point - can not reward a player with an extensive contract for constantly missing entire seasons based on health even if if his potential is tantalizing. Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum are recent examples of this.

His contract is uninsurable like Chandler Parsons and Amare Stoudemire (both were signed with their current past teams knowing the risk - suns and mavs jumped a bullet) - if sixers sign him to a big contract and he medically retires - they eat every penny. The opposite is what happened in Miami where Chris Bosh was healthy his entire career before blood clots and his last contract was iron-clad insured so heat had every incentive to keep him off the the court and force a medical retirement so they would get the cap space and force the insurance company to foot the bill for most or if not all of his remaining contract.
eddie jerel
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#19 » by eddie jerel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 pm

If the Sixers are smart they would wait,since Embiid hasn't played but 35 games. Really in the last 4 yrs,which includes at Kansas,he's played 66 games. Waiting hurts no one, but can help both if they really Trust The Process
Simmons25
Analyst

Post#20 » by Simmons25 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:59 am

eddie jerel wrote:If the Sixers are smart they would wait,since Embiid hasn't played but 35 games. Really in the last 4 yrs,which includes at Kansas,he's played 66 games. Waiting hurts no one, but can help both if they really Trust The Process

It hurts Embiid. He could be 1 injury away from never playing again.

Sure Embiid could hold out for the max and get $150 over 5 years... but why not sign for $60 mill over 3 years now and set yourself up for life anyway... and if you are fit/all-star etc in 3 years time he can sign his massive deal then and get close to making $130 mill anyway in that 5 years.

Return to Wiretap Discussion