Re: Andrew Wiggins, Wolves Nearing Five-Year, $148M Max Contract

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Andrew Wiggins, Wolves Nearing Five-Year, $148M Max Contract 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Andrew Wiggins and the Minnesota Timberwolves are expected to soon finalize a five-year, $148 million max contract.

Wiggins was the first overall pick in the 2014 draft out of Kansas by the Cleveland CAvaliers and was subsequently traded to the Wolves in the Kevin Love trade.

Wiggins and the Wolves have seemingly been on the verge of an extension for several weeks.

Via Shams Charania/The Vertical

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:57 pm

He fired his agent - the hold up is he wants the rose rule provision and a 5th year opt out. The Rose Rule is as follows;

The 2017 CBA changed the qualification criteria for "5th Year, 30% Max" contracts. Players who come off rookie contracts at the end of the 2017–18 season, or later, must meet any of the following criteria to qualify:
Selection to an All-NBA team (at any level) in the player's fourth season, or in two of the three seasons between his second and fourth seasons.
Selection as Defensive Player of the Year in the player's fourth season, or in two of the three seasons between his second and fourth seasons.
Selection as MVP in any season from the player's second onward.

If Wiggins can get a max starting at 30% the valuation of his deal could be closer to 5 years 175M assuming he meets an above criteria this upcoming season. If he doesn't get this 5th year opt out he could just play season out sign a max 4 year offer sheet like Otto Porter Jr/Harrison Barnes which he will 100% get and leave wolves in 3 seasons for fingers crossed his hometown Toronto Raptors lol
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#3 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:40 pm

interesting to see how this unfolds - two iso centric wing players in butler and wiggins.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Sam195 wrote:He fired his agent - the hold up is he wants the rose rule provision and a 5th year opt out. The Rose Rule is as follows;

The 2017 CBA changed the qualification criteria for "5th Year, 30% Max" contracts. Players who come off rookie contracts at the end of the 2017–18 season, or later, must meet any of the following criteria to qualify:
Selection to an All-NBA team (at any level) in the player's fourth season, or in two of the three seasons between his second and fourth seasons.
Selection as Defensive Player of the Year in the player's fourth season, or in two of the three seasons between his second and fourth seasons.

If Wiggins can get a max starting at 30% the valuation of his deal could be closer to 5 years 175M assuming he meets an above criteria this upcoming season. If he doesn't get this 5th year opt out he could just play season out sign a max 4 year offer sheet like Otto Porter Jr/Harrison Barnes which he will 100% get and leave wolves in 3 seasons for fingers crossed his hometown Toronto Raptors lol

He'd really have to get better defensively and helps his team win more.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#5 » by dice » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:26 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:interesting to see how this unfolds - two iso centric wing players in butler and wiggins.

I don't think there's any actual plan in this regard. best case scenario is that butler teaches wiggins how to play basketball before leaving in free agency. worst case (and more likely) scenario is that wiggins gradually becomes irritated by butler's work ethic/insistence that he learn how to play basketball. variation on the lebron/kyrie dynamic, but on a minnesota scale, and it won't be the lesser player wanting out
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#6 » by dice » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:27 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Sam195 wrote:He fired his agent - the hold up is he wants the rose rule provision and a 5th year opt out. The Rose Rule is as follows;

He'd really have to get better defensively and helps his team win more.

and pass, and score more efficiently, and not suck in the clutch...and do it all real, real fast. basically, it ain't gonna happen. Andrew wiggins will not sniff all-nba in the near future and likely ever

nba's new ad campaign: "got talent? come to the nba, convince your coach/team to let you take a lot of shots and you will make hundreds of millions of dollars"
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#7 » by haste10176 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:59 pm

dice wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:interesting to see how this unfolds - two iso centric wing players in butler and wiggins.

I don't think there's any actual plan in this regard. best case scenario is that butler teaches wiggins how to play basketball before leaving in free agency. worst case (and more likely) scenario is that wiggins gradually becomes irritated by butler's insistence that he learn how to play basketball. variation on the lebron/kyrie dynamic, but on a minnesota scale, and it won't be the lesser player wanting out

I give wiggins the max no opt out or I trade him.. He will sign the max with no opt out you can be sure of that.. If he wants to play hard ball with this then seeya later.. The organization gets zero benefit max a player like him and giving him an opt out at the time he might actually be worth the max...
King Rube
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#8 » by King Rube » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:46 am

dice wrote:

I don't think there's any actual plan in this regard. best case scenario is that butler teaches wiggins how to play basketball before leaving in free agency. worst case (and more likely) scenario is that wiggins gradually becomes irritated by butler's work ethic/insistence that he learn how to play basketball. variation on the lebron/kyrie dynamic, but on a minnesota scale, and it won't be the lesser player wanting out

Didn't know Butler already said he wanted out. Of course, if you're from Minnesota and had to read how you structured your sentences, he probably wants out.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#9 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 am

King Rube wrote:
dice wrote:

Didn't know Butler already said he wanted out. Of course, if you're from Minnesota and had to read how you structured your sentences, he probably wants out.

they definitely have overlapping skillsets. Maybe Thibs sees them as a your-turn my-turn type of offense similar to what JKidd does w Giannis and Jabari. I just dont see how adding a ball-dominant high usage player like Butler will develop guys (Wiggins & Kat) who need the ball. Maybe Thibs thinks he can scale Butler's Offensive game back to 2014 levels; make him be a high energy OnBall and Weakside Defender again, and shoot hockey-asst corner 3s. Wiggins and Kat should be a poor man's 2009 Kobe/Pau.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#10 » by Psubs » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:44 am

gordoncatrell wrote:
King Rube wrote:
dice wrote:I don't think there's any actual plan in this regard. best case scenario is that butler teaches wiggins how to play basketball before leaving in free agency. worst case (and more likely) scenario is that wiggins gradually becomes irritated by butler's work ethic/insistence that he learn how to play basketball. variation on the lebron/kyrie dynamic, but on a minnesota scale, and it won't be the lesser player wanting out

they definitely have overlapping skillsets. Maybe Thibs sees them as a your-turn my-turn type of offense similar to what JKidd does w Giannis and Jabari. I just dont see how adding a ball-dominant high usage player like Butler will develop guys (Wiggins & Kat) who need the ball. Maybe Thibs thinks he can scale Butler's Offensive game back to 2014 levels; make him be a high energy OnBall and Weakside Defender again, and shoot hockey-asst corner 3s. Wiggins and Kat should be a poor man's 2009 Kobe/Pau.

More like Penny and Shaq.
dice
RealGM

Post#11 » by dice » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:33 pm

King Rube wrote:
dice wrote:

Didn't know Butler already said he wanted out.

i didn't either. where did you read that?

Of course, if you're from Minnesota and had to read how you structured your sentences, he probably wants out.

it requires several readings of this to figure out what the hell you're even talking about. you're the last person who should be discussing sentence structure. the appropriate way to say what you are trying to say would be this:

'if you're from Minnesota and jimmy has to read how you structure your sentences, it would make sense if he already wants out'

since you clearly whiffed on the point that I made, i'll break it down into rube-sized bites for you:

1) jimmy and wiggins will not work out
2) jimmy plays the game effectively
3) wiggins does not play the game effectively

if the wolves are lucky...

4) jimmy's game will rub off on wiggins
5) wiggins raises his game to becomes a younger, poor-man's jimmy butler
6) a past-his-prime jimmy leaves so that wiggins can fulfill his promise and the roster chemistry can be improved
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#12 » by Killboard » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Butler was effective playing off ball too, I think he was elite last season in points per play in cuts type of plays. Plus, he is a great passer.

Wiggins still learning how to be a initiatior, and since the wolves done have any depth, they will stagger minutes a lot to have one of them on the court at all times. He will have a lot of reps to learn that in the 10 minutes Bulter will be resting on the bench,

Also, Wiggins playing against SG most of the night will allow him to leak in transition more freely, since Butler can rebound a lot better than Lavine last season (who was paired with Wiggins most of the time). Also, Wiggins catch and shoot 3pt's was around .400 last season. Thats enough to give Butler a lot of room to work with.

Return to Wiretap Discussion