JaMychal Green, Grizzlies Not Close To Long-Term Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

JaMychal Green, Grizzlies Not Close To Long-Term Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:39 pm

JaMychal Green and the Memphis Grizzlies are not close to agreeing upon a long-term deal.

Green has until Sunday to accept the $2.8 million qualifying offer from the Grizzlies. If Green accepts the qualifying offer, he will become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

“We’re not going to go into negotiations. That’s been our policy with any player,” Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said.

“Everyone knows how we feel about him. I love him. He knows that,” David Fizdale said. “The fact that I was willing to start him over an All-Star (Zach Randolph) means my actions say enough about how I feel about him. Right now, I have to coach the living, the guys on the court.”

Said center Marc Gasol: “He’s somebody we really need in today’s NBA. I hope he gets here soon.”

Via Ronald Tilley/Memphis Commercial Appeal

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Re: JaMychal Green, Grizzlies Not Close To Long-Term Deal 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:27 pm

I feel like restricted free agency has lost it's purpose. The idea was that players coming off their rookie deal could test the waters, get their maximum value and still allow the team that developed them to have a last crack at keeping them. Now players are asking for more than they are worth, getting no offers and holding it over their teams.

It's simple... If you are asking for more than 29 other teams are willing to offer you, you are asking for too much.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#3 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:I feel like restricted free agency has lost it's purpose. The idea was that players coming off their rookie deal could test the waters, get their maximum value and still allow the team that developed them to have a last crack at keeping them. Now players are asking for more than they are worth, getting no offers and holding it over their teams.

It's simple... If you are asking for more than 29 other teams are willing to offer you, you are asking for too much.

When there are teams like the Knicks throwing contracts of $17mil a year around to players like Hardaway Jr it really messes up the market for all the other fringe starters. Look at some of the contracts thrown around over the last few seasons - it's hard to argue that Green is not worth it; this might be his one and only payday and chance to hold a team over a barrel for his services.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:14 am

Yuri Vaultin wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I feel like restricted free agency has lost it's purpose. The idea was that players coming off their rookie deal could test the waters, get their maximum value and still allow the team that developed them to have a last crack at keeping them. Now players are asking for more than they are worth, getting no offers and holding it over their teams.

When there are teams like the Knicks throwing contracts of $17mil a year around to players like Hardaway Jr it really messes up the market for all the other fringe starters. Look at some of the contracts thrown around over the last few seasons - it's hard to argue that Green is not worth it; this might be his one and only payday and chance to hold a team over a barrel for his services.

Sure, they worked it out. But I'm also sure he wanted more and flinched at the last minute. Some FA's will get overpaid (Hardaway, Evans, Mozgov, etc.) but watching players holdout when none of the 30 teams is in your ballpark is ridiculous. And asking too much early in free agency (see Nerlens Noel) leads to a lack of leverage when most teams are capped out.

Return to Wiretap Discussion