Re: NBA Approves Draft Lottery Reform

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Approves Draft Lottery Reform 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:52 pm

The NBA Board of Governors have voted to pass draft lottery reform legislation.

The NBA draft lottery reform passed 28-1-1 vote, with the Oklahoma City Thunder voting against and Dallas Mavericks abstaining.

The three teams with the worst records will share a 14 percent chance of getting the No. 1 overall pick, a change from the descending percentages of 25, 19.9, and 15.6 in the current system. 

There was some hesitancy on the plan from small market teams.

The changes will take effect for the 2019 lottery.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#2 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Last call if you're tanking for a 25% chance at the number one pick...
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:27 pm

The Mavs may lose a few games over the next few seasons so I can see them abstaining. But the Thunder voting "no" tells me they aren't super confident that they will be able to hold this thing together long term. If Russ, PG and Melo bolt it could be a quick fall to the bottom.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#4 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:37 pm

That's not going to stop tanking...
Meatcookie
Rookie
And1: 219

Post#5 » by Meatcookie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:The Mavs may lose a few games over the next few seasons so I can see them abstaining. But the Thunder voting "no" tells me they aren't super confident that they will be able to hold this thing together long term. If Russ, PG and Melo bolt it could be a quick fall to the bottom.

Or they could feel pretty good about their team right now... and not want other teams they are actually competing with these next few years to luck out and get a higher pick because the %s have changed slightly.
liquid_ja
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#6 » by liquid_ja » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Every team that misses the playoff should have equal chances. If you miss the playoff consecutive years (3-5) you have a higher chance but equal to everyone in that group. That should be it, then every team will use all resource available to make the league competitive and watchable.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#7 » by LaRance » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:Last call if you're tanking for a 25% chance at the number one pick...

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was a good 1 hahaha
don't panac
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#8 » by don't panac » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:20 pm

liquid_ja wrote:Every team that misses the playoff should have equal chances. If you miss the playoff consecutive years (3-5) you have a higher chance but equal to everyone in that group. That should be it, then every team will use all resource available to make the league competitive and watchable.

yes, keep it simple:
1 ping-pong ball for each year of consecutive playoff misses.
draw every lotto position.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#9 » by dice » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:That's not going to stop tanking...

nah. it'll reduce it a bit though
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#10 » by dice » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:06 pm

don't panac wrote:
liquid_ja wrote:Every team that misses the playoff should have equal chances. If you miss the playoff consecutive years (3-5) you have a higher chance but equal to everyone in that group. That should be it, then every team will use all resource available to make the league competitive and watchable.

yes, keep it simple:

that encourages borderline playoff teams to intentionally miss the playoffs. which is even worse

30 balls for worst team, 1 for champs, draw all 30 positions. best system, tv ratings gold

the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Vince604
Junior
And1: 359

Post#11 » by Vince604 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:19 pm

I actually wanted a system where if a team got the #1 pick this year, then they're unable to get the top 5 pick the next year. For example, if the lottery lands in the top 5 for the team who got the 1st pick the prior year, they'll automatically be slotted down to the 6th spot.
My all-time starting five: Hakeem Olajuwan, Michael Jordan, and three 3nD role players.

I follow the NBA, not just one team.

Vancouver Crows NBA expansion team
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,962

Post#12 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:05 am

philly voted against, right?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,996

Post#13 » by LascelleL » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:55 am

don't panac wrote:

yes, keep it simple:

Really like this idea
don't panac
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#14 » by don't panac » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:37 am

dice wrote:
don't panac wrote:

yes, keep it simple:

that encourages borderline playoff teams to intentionally miss the playoffs. which is even worse

30 balls for worst team, 1 for champs, draw all 30 positions. best system, tv ratings gold

i really don't think it would. if teams are borderline playoffs team, they will want to get to the playoffs.

if that was really a concern, you could just have 1 ball for each team that doesn't make it out of the first round, plus one for each year of consecutive playoff misses, so even teams that barely make it still have some chance of getting a high pick.
but i like better the simpler setup i proposed before.

as far as drawing all 30 positions, you would inevitably end up with one of the top teams winning the lottery and/or getting e high picks, which is the exact opposite of what the lottery is supposed to achieve.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#15 » by deeps6x » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:37 am

I told ya OKC would vote against it.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#16 » by totalrekall » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:35 am

all non-playoff teams should have the exact same odds. the real problem is the NBA rigs the lottery to suit their own interests and always has. why should a team be rewarded for losing more? it has never made any sense
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#17 » by jason bourne » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:34 am

PeoplesChamp wrote:That's not going to stop tanking...

It was always the smart play for a losing team to tank, but the fair-minded fans complained. This draft lottery reform is supposed to even out the chances so more non-lottery teams have a better chance at moving up. This is not about getting rid of tanking, but reducing the complaints.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#18 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:37 am

Would never happen.....

But do what they do in European soccer: The bottom 2-3 teams get sent to the D-League, and the top 2-3 D-League teams come up to the NBA. It would take a little more investment in the D-League....and would prob take about a decade to iron out the kinks, and get the D-League team spread out to other cities (Seattle, San Diego, San Jose, Santa Fe.... <---didnt mean to make all "S" teams, I promise, but you get the idea: get D-League teams in other large cities without NBA teams) with fan-bases.

It would take a little while....but I think it would be an awesome system. Every once in a while you would see a great team (like the Lakers the last few years) get relegated to the D-League. All the Santa Fe fans would go ape-s** when their team got promoted to the NBA. I think it would be alot of fun....and It would COMPLETELY eliminate tanking. ANNNNND.....you get all that excitement for the bottom 5-6 teams fighting tooth and nail the last 3 weeks of the season.

It'll never happen...but that would be pretty cool.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#19 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:03 am

danfantastk32 wrote:Would never happen.....

But do what they do in European soccer: The bottom 2-3 teams get sent to the D-League, and the top 2-3 D-League teams come up to the NBA. It would take a little more investment in the D-League....and would prob take about a decade to iron out the kinks, and get the D-League team spread out to other cities (Seattle, San Diego, San Jose, Santa Fe.... <---didnt mean to make all "S" teams, I promise, but you get the idea: get D-League teams in other large cities without NBA teams) with fan-bases.

It would take a little while....but I think it would be an awesome system. Every once in a while you would see a great team (like the Lakers the last few years) get relegated to the D-League. All the Santa Fe fans would go ape-s** when their team got promoted to the NBA. I think it would be alot of fun....and It would COMPLETELY eliminate tanking. ANNNNND.....you get all that excitement for the bottom 5-6 teams fighting tooth and nail the last 3 weeks of the season.

It'll never happen...but that would be pretty cool.

Great idea, love it. It would raise level of play across the board, be awesome for g league teams.

No reward for tanking.
Metsis
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#20 » by Metsis » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Equal odds for no-playoff teams... Do lottery for top 5 picks and set rest according their record. So you could tank for the guarranteed 6th pick. Not much of a prize there... So no more tanking. Usually there are 1 to 3 players that every one is drooling after and then it is hard work from the scouting teams to find the best picks for your franchise.

Return to Wiretap Discussion