Steve Kerr: This Year Will Be A Lot Harder Than First Year

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Steve Kerr: This Year Will Be A Lot Harder Than First Year 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Nov 2, 2017 2:21 pm

The Golden State Warriors have been to three straight Finals and are widely expected to reach their fourth this season, but the grind of playing that many games over a short period has historically been difficult for great teams in NBA history.

The Chicago Bulls in the nineties won six titles but Michael Jordan took a break to play baseball. The Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers began to fall apart after winning three in a row.

"In [1997] with the Bulls, we started off 8-7 ... and we were having all these team meetings," Kerr said. "[This] feels exactly the same. The fatigue, the emotional and spiritual fatigue that sets in when you've been going to the Finals.

"That's why LeBron [James] going to the Finals seven years in a row, to me, is one of the most amazing accomplishments ever for a player in this league."

The Warriors are currently 5-3 and haven't looked as sharp as they have in the past.

"I want to snap. I'm competitive. I want to win every game," Kerr said. "But I recognize, especially having been in their shoes, literally, with that Bulls team. I recognize that we're gonna be fine. I know we're gonna be fine.

"If you're a yoga person, you talk about prana. This life force in you," Kerr said. "Each team has its own personality.

"We have to get there. And I can't force that. As a coach, it's my job to recognize that and adapt to that and try to guide us and navigate us. I can tell you this year is gonna be a lot harder than that first year."

The Warriors won the title in Kerr's first season with the team.

Via Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Re: Steve Kerr: This Year Will Be A Lot Harder Than First Year 

Post#2 » by chipchipperson » Thu Nov 2, 2017 2:43 pm

Slightly harder than incredibly easy is still a cake walk. That's if you're humoring kerr's laughable assessment that this season will be tougher than the last one.
IkeDoIt
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#3 » by IkeDoIt » Thu Nov 2, 2017 2:55 pm

chipchipperson wrote:Slightly harder than incredibly easy is still a cake walk. That's if you're humoring kerr's laughable assessment that this season will be tougher than the last one.

The West has gotten tougher this year. OKC and Minnesota have improved dramatically and can compete with the Warriors very well on paper. Houston and San Antonio need to get healthier, but can also present problems for Golden State as well.
Hopefully no major players on these teams get hurt come playoff time. The West is WILD this year
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#4 » by JohnPferdelack » Thu Nov 2, 2017 3:33 pm

All NBA fans hope that this will happen.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,372

Post#5 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Nov 2, 2017 3:48 pm

We keep hearing about how the Cavs will be fine and are coasting until after the asg. The same can be said of the warriors. The difference is the warriors will win 60-65 wins while not caring. There is no drama or mystery here.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#6 » by MegaK » Thu Nov 2, 2017 3:59 pm

God i hate the warriors. Steph and Durant are great players but they are so arrogant it becomes annoying to watch them. I hope the Thunder take them down this year or any other team in the west.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 387

Post#7 » by hyberx » Thu Nov 2, 2017 5:46 pm

chipchipperson wrote:Slightly harder than incredibly easy is still a cake walk. That's if you're humoring kerr's laughable assessment that this season will be tougher than the last one.

If the West is a cakewalk, what is the minor league East? LOL. Just look at all the good players moved West, then wait for the final west-east head to head game record like last 20 years.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#8 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Nov 2, 2017 7:39 pm

This is a real threat to their Chip chances this season. They looked bored in the playoffs last yr. They look completely uninterested this yr. Theyre going through the motions, Draymond's tantrum routine doesnt wakeup the teammates at all anymore. They dont feel challenged by any of the WC teams or Bron's Cavs.
This team is so talented, they can play like trash for 3QTs and still win by 10.
anthony00
Analyst
And1: 1,514

Post#9 » by anthony00 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 8:10 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:This is a real threat to their Chip chances this season. They looked bored in the playoffs last yr. They look completely uninterested this yr. Theyre going through the motions, Draymond's tantrum routine doesnt wakeup the teammates at all anymore. They dont feel challenged by any of the WC teams or Bron's Cavs.
This team is so talented, they can play like trash for 3QTs and still win by 10.

ehh
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 756

Post#10 » by Hold That » Thu Nov 2, 2017 8:18 pm

Players realize they can coast through the regular season and regardless of what seed they fall, they will still breeze through the playoffs.. Hard to get up for the regular season, when you've been dominating for the past 3 seasons with not much else competition.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,973

Post#11 » by spree2kawhi » Thu Nov 2, 2017 9:59 pm

They can be beaten. The playoff format allows for it. A lead is never really comfortable. While not a fan, I'm still rooting for their greatness. People, overall, are too jealous.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Nov 3, 2017 1:47 am

IkeDoIt wrote:

The West has gotten tougher this year. OKC and Minnesota have improved dramatically and can compete with the Warriors very well on paper. Houston and San Antonio need to get healthier, but can also present problems for Golden State as well.
Hopefully no major players on these teams get hurt come playoff time. The West is WILD this year

It's super tough for newish teams to beat a well oiled machine like that.

The only possibility I see is if Kawaii and Parker are healthy and LMMA has a breakout year.

In the East, maybe if IT comes back and plays even better.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#13 » by Cookin Baskets » Fri Nov 3, 2017 6:53 pm

Yea nba history has taught us once you accomplish a certain goal you start to lose your edge as part of being a human.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#14 » by luss54321 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 8:34 pm

Kevin Durant is going to share this quote with every single person he knows LOL look everyone! Steve said it's going to be harder! Wow so glad my competitive nature led me to taking on this incredible challenge! What would they do without me!
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#15 » by chipchipperson » Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:19 pm

hyberx wrote:

If the West is a cakewalk, what is the minor league East? LOL. Just look at all the good players moved West, then wait for the final west-east head to head game record like last 20 years.

The west isnt a cakewalk... It's a cakewalk for the warriors, specifically. The east is laughably bad and so far not a single team looks like they'd have a chance to even steal 1 finals win from a keyed-in warriors squad. I don't even understand what you're trying to get at here.

Return to Wiretap Discussion