Mark Cuban Offended By Draymond Green Wanting To Stop Using 'Owner' Term

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mark Cuban Offended By Draymond Green Wanting To Stop Using 'Owner' Term 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:17 pm

Mark Cuban took offense to comments made by Draymond Green about the use of the word "owner" in sports.

Green was responding to comments from Bob McNair of the Houston Texans, who said the NFL "can't have inmates running the prison."

"For starters, let's stop using the word owner and maybe use the word Chairman," Green wrote. "To be owned by someone just sets a bad precedent to start. It sets the wrong tone. It gives one the wrong mindset."

"For him to try to turn it into something it's not is wrong," Cuban told ESPN. "He owes the NBA an apology. I think he does, because to try to create some connotation that owning equity in a company that you busted your ass for is the equivalent of ownership in terms of people, that's just wrong. That's just wrong in every which way.

"People who read that message and misinterpret it -- make it seem like we don't do everything possible to help our players succeed and don't care about their families and don't care about their lives, like hopefully we do for all of our employees -- that's just wrong."

Cuban attempted to explain the difference.

"We own equity. We don't own people," Cuban said. "And there's a big difference. This is a country where we have corporations, and you put up your money and buy equity. E-Q-U-I-T-Y. It translates into shares of stock. People who bust their ass and work hard and get a little bit lucky have enough money to buy enough shares of stock to buy a company.

"To try to turn it into something that it's not is ridiculous. Draymond can trash-talk on the court, but when he comes into our world, it doesn't fly. ... I guess it's because he went to Michigan State and didn't take any business classes, but you own equity. When you own a team, you own equity, shares of stock. That's called ownership. Tell him if he wants to take classes at Indiana's business school, I'll even pay for his classes and we'll help him learn that stuff."

Cuban's argues players are treated as people, not property.

"If you want to talk about slavery and everything that's important about it and some people who make comments and don't respect other individuals, great, let's have that conversation about people who don't respect others," Cuban said. "But don't try to suggest that because we have a team and the nomenclature is 'owners' because we own shares of stock, own equity, that it's analogous to slavery. That's just as bad [as McNair's comment]. It's just as bad.

"Don't ask me. Ask anybody who's ever played for me. Ask anybody who's ever worked for me. I'm far from perfect, but that's certainly not a connotation that you're going to hear from anybody that I've ever been associated with. I've been brutally honest about racism and how we have to work hard to overcome it, but to suggest that an NBA team is some sort of ... I'm not even going to go there."

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Re: RE: Mark Cuban Offended By Draymond Green Wanting To Stop Using 'Owner' Term 

Post#2 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:05 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Mark Cuban took offense to comments made by Draymond Green about the use of the word "owner" in sports.
Green was responding to comments from Bob McNair of the Houston Texans, who said the NFL "can't have inmates running the prison."
"For starters, let's stop using the word owner and maybe use the word Chairman," Green wrote. "To be owned by someone just sets a bad precedent to start. It sets the wrong tone. It gives one the wrong mindset."
"For him to try to turn it into something it's not is wrong," Cuban told ESPN. "He owes the NBA an apology. I think he does, because to try to create some connotation that owning equity in a company that you busted your ass for is the equivalent of ownership in terms of people, that's just wrong. That's just wrong in every which way.
"People who read that message and misinterpret it -- make it seem like we don't do everything possible to help our players succeed and don't care about their families and don't care about their lives, like hopefully we do for all of our employees -- that's just wrong."
Cuban attempted to explain the difference.
"We own equity. We don't own people," Cuban said. "And there's a big difference. This is a country where we have corporations, and you put up your money and buy equity. E-Q-U-I-T-Y. It translates into shares of stock. People who bust their ass and work hard and get a little bit lucky have enough money to buy enough shares of stock to buy a company.
"To try to turn it into something that it's not is ridiculous. Draymond can trash-talk on the court, but when he comes into our world, it doesn't fly. ... I guess it's because he went to Michigan State and didn't take any business classes, but you own equity. When you own a team, you own equity, shares of stock. That's called ownership. Tell him if he wants to take classes at Indiana's business school, I'll even pay for his classes and we'll help him learn that stuff."
Cuban's argues players are treated as people, not property.
"If you want to talk about slavery and everything that's important about it and some people who make comments and don't respect other individuals, great, let's have that conversation about people who don't respect others," Cuban said. "But don't try to suggest that because we have a team and the nomenclature is 'owners' because we own shares of stock, own equity, that it's analogous to slavery. That's just as bad [as McNair's comment]. It's just as bad.
"Don't ask me. Ask anybody who's ever played for me. Ask anybody who's ever worked for me. I'm far from perfect, but that's certainly not a connotation that you're going to hear from anybody that I've ever been associated with. I've been brutally honest about racism and how we have to work hard to overcome it, but to suggest that an NBA team is some sort of ... I'm not even going to go there."Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN
Wow look at Cuban channeling his inner Trump and calling out Draymond for being an idiot. Interesting indeed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Re: Mark Cuban Offended By Draymond Green Wanting To Stop Using 'Owner' Term 

Post#3 » by dan-man » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:07 pm

Agreed. Stay in your lane Draymond. There have been "owners" and "players" in this league long before it was predominately african american so lets not twist things around. I admire DGs willingness to speak his mind but he's a little ignorant on this one.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#4 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:15 pm

dan-man wrote:Agreed. Stay in your lane Draymond. There have been "owners" and "players" in this league long before it was predominately african american so lets not twist things around. I admire DGs willingness to speak his mind but he's a little ignorant on this one.

Let's make another fake controversy!!! Tell you what player green, sit on the floor during the anthem if you don't like the definitions of words.... Oh wait, the nba backed down on that once they saw fans burning nfl jerseys after that millionaire protest .... Hmmmmmm.... What to get angry about this week?????

Id say work on your jumper... The all star game isnt looking like a lock for you this year.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#5 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:49 pm

New Jerry Jones, just louder and without the rings.

"We do everything possible to try to help the players". Like get offended and LITTERALLY spell out equity when a man says he would prefer his teams owners went by the term "chairman". Yeah. g"[color=#00FF00] That's "everything" Cubes.[/color
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Mark Cuban Offended By Draymond Green Wanting To Stop Using 'Owner' Term 

Post#6 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:00 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:New Jerry Jones, just louder and without the rings.

"We do everything possible to try to help the players". Like get offended and LITTERALLY spell out equity when a man says he would prefer his teams owners went by the term "chairman". Yeah. g"[color=#00FF00] That's "everything" Cubes.[/color
I don't even like Cuban but he's 100% right on this issue. Draymond is an ignoramus.

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: RE: Re: Mark Cuban Offended By Draymond Green Wanting To Stop Using 'Owner' Term 

Post#7 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:04 pm

BetterCallSkal wrote:

I don't even like Cuban but he's 100% right on this issue. Draymond is an ignoramus.

I don't like the term owner either. I don't care that it is about E-Q-U-I-T-Y. When it becomes a power struggle it is the "owners" against the "players". And the common shorthand is, they are the owners. I can definitely see how that would get under African-Americans skin. Power struggles with white owners. If Cuban really "did EVERYTHING to help the players" why not concde on this issue? Honestly, why address it at all?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#8 » by hyberx » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:05 pm

So now Cuban is not liking the PC culture anymore? LOL.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#9 » by hyberx » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:08 pm

I love my Ws and Green. But this is silly. Sure let's do away with owner. Then we need to do away with player too. You aren't there to play a game, you are there to work for a living. How does worker sound to you? Oh, no All Star either. You are employee of the season.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mark Cuban Offended By Draymond Green Wanting To Stop Using 'Owner' Term 

Post#10 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:15 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
BetterCallSkal wrote:

I don't like the term owner either. I don't care that it is about E-Q-U-I-T-Y. When it becomes a power struggle it is the "owners" against the "players". And the common shorthand is, they are the owners. I can definitely see how that would get under African-Americans skin. Power struggles with white owners. If Cuban really "did EVERYTHING to help the players" why not concde on this issue? Honestly, why address it at all?
You don't have to like it. But it's a basic premise in business and quite frankly the English language. His intent is trying to stir the pot. Make something out of nothing.

Move along. There's nothing to see here.

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#11 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:16 pm

Draymond is either as dumb as Kyrie or he's auditioning for his future career as a TV personality by making these obnoxious statements. Or both. No matter what, it's not a good look for him.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#12 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:24 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:I don't like the term owner either. I don't care that it is about E-Q-U-I-T-Y. When it becomes a power struggle it is the "owners" against the "players". And the common shorthand is, they are the owners. I can definitely see how that would get under African-Americans skin. Power struggles with white owners. If Cuban really "did EVERYTHING to help the players" why not concde on this issue? Honestly, why address it at all?

Cuban owns the Dallas Mavericks franchise. Hence, he is an owner. It has nothing to do with "owning" players. And helping the players is not the same as blindly agreeing with everything they say or do at all times.

I also fail to see how using the word "chairman" instead somehow brings about equity. Mao called himself a "chairman," after all.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#13 » by mg » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:51 pm

My guess is many of these players, maybe even Draymond himself, "own" shares in some company as a stockholder if they have a savvy person handling their money. Stupid controversy.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#14 » by TMU » Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:00 pm

This guy is just a brainless tool. Always stirring **** up and trying to act important and make a big deal over nothing. Chairman? So instead of "owner of a team", "owner of stocks", "owner of a book", Wanna start calling "chairman of a team", "chairman of stocks", "chairman of a book"? How does the word "owner" bring about any injustice to society?

Cuban is 100% correct on this. Team owners DO NOT OWN players. Similarly, companies DO NOT OWN employees. So, feel free to quit whenever you'd like Draymond and become a chairman of your own team.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,077

Post#15 » by MrBigShot » Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:08 pm

Kudos to Cuban for putting Draymond in his place. What a stupid comment.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,356

Post#16 » by PerfectJab » Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:10 pm

Cuban is right when it comes to the ownership part. Where he is wrong is how he describes the players as not property. Technically they are human capital and you can argue that this human capital is owned by the organization. He is right that this is a far stretch from the word being used to describe actual ownership of a player from a slavery sense. That's just silly as the players had the option to not play for an organization or not play basketball in the league altogether.

Good point from Cuban saying that players that choose to become human capital are paid handsomely for the right to be considered this. Again, it was their choice.

I think Green's recent success and subsequently his pride/ego has gotten to his head. Nobody likes to feel owned, but the reality is, your paycheck is being paid by the owner of your team, which translates to agreed upon expectations not ownership of your choices. To change the terms from owner, which it is, to Chairman sits well with the bleeding hearts but wouldn't be reality.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Post#17 » by lakerz12 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:39 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
BetterCallSkal wrote:

How about Green just stops looking for a problem where it doesn't exist? Why should everyone have to change their vocabulary just to make Green feel more comfortable?

This is a clear example of trying to "racialize" something that isn't racial. This is a business arrangement, it's not racial. Isn't JayZ part owner of the Nets? And there will be more black owners in the future.

When people look for racism where it doesn't exist, they sadly set themselves backward.

In case Draymond didn't notice, he gets paid millions per year. If he plays his cards right in the business world, he could be an "owner" someday if he wants to be. He should be grateful he gets to play basketball for millions, something we'd all like to do.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#18 » by TKainZero » Sat Nov 4, 2017 6:03 pm

Draymond has been hanging with too many far-left Bay Area boshilvicks...

"Dude man, working is like slavery... you work for the evil white men, he like... owns you..."

"Yea man, he shouldn't own anything man, people can't own things, that's crazy, it should be all of ours together"

"Just more evil white man games in trumps fascist America"

"Yea, America is so horrible, it's basically all modern slavery"

There are dangerously stupid people out there. Generations of bad ideologies are fundamentally changing how the average American thinks about things.

Here is an example of an average American (average being very loosely applied here) who has been brainwashed into thinking the term "owner" (thus ownership of ANYTHING) is a dirty word, and needs to be changed to a more appropriate "PC" word that is 'New Speak' approved.

These are dangerous times
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#19 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 6:27 pm

I heard Charles Woodson and Randy Moss bring this up last week and laughed and thought to myself, man theyre really reaching, no one else is going to go along with this. Welp thanks Draymond for proving me wrong on that.

This is just beyond reaching in my opinion, are we supposed to just get rid of the word "owner"? Because there is really no better and more simple way to put it, Mark Cuban owns the Dallas Mavericks. I dont think a single person or owner believes when they say theyre the owners, it means they own the players. Ive always hated when athletes try and make a slavery comparison to their situation, this isnt that bad. But still Draymond is still trying to make the connection and it is stupid.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,064

Post#20 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Nov 4, 2017 6:57 pm

TKainZero wrote:Draymond has been hanging with too many far-left Bay Area boshilvicks...

"Dude man, working is like slavery... you work for the evil white men, he like... owns you..."

"Yea man, he shouldn't own anything man, people can't own things, that's crazy, it should be all of ours together"

"Just more evil white man games in trumps fascist America"

"Yea, America is so horrible, it's basically all modern slavery"

There are dangerously stupid people out there. Generations of bad ideologies are fundamentally changing how the average American thinks about things.

Here is an example of an average American (average being very loosely applied here) who has been brainwashed into thinking the term "owner" (thus ownership of ANYTHING) is a dirty word, and needs to be changed to a more appropriate "PC" word that is 'New Speak' approved.

These are dangerous times

Well said.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.

Return to Wiretap Discussion