Luol Deng Seeking Trade Or Buyout From Lakers

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Luol Deng Seeking Trade Or Buyout From Lakers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:35 pm

Luol Deng and his agent are seeking a trade or buyout from the Los Angeles Lakers.

Deng signed a four-year, $72 million contract with the Lakers in 2016 under the previous regime. 

Deng has remained out of the rotation for most of the season even after the injury to Larry Nance Jr.

"It definitely hurts," Deng told ESPN on Monday after the Lakers practiced. "But the only answer for me now is to prove myself away from L.A. I'm not asked to play, I'm not in the rotation, so I can't prove myself here.

"Most of these young guys don't understand the business of basketball, so if I come in here and I'm angry every day, I'm taking something away from them. I have to be smiling, I have to be in the best mood I can be in, because they're living their dream of being an NBA player."

A Lakers source confirmed that the team has met with Deng's representatives to find a solution, via trade or buyout, that would allow him the opportunity to play more.

"You just never know. It could be a month, it could be a week, it could be three months," Deng said. "I don't want something to happen and I'm called upon but my shape holds me back. The challenge is to challenge yourself to be in better shape than if I was playing. Then if I fall short I'm still in good shape."

Luke Walton has attempted to be upfront with Deng about his role.

The Lakers owe Deng $36 million over the next two seasons. While prioritizing cap space for next season, the Lakers either need to trade Deng in a salary dump or waive and stretch him.

"I'm just being patient," said Deng, who has been inactive for nine of the Lakers' first 10 games. "Throughout my career I've never really been a guy who created drama or wanted to deal with drama. At the end of the day I know what it is, I know I can play the game. But it's the situation that I came into."

Via Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Re: Luol Deng Seeking Trade Or Buyout From Lakers 

Post#2 » by 12footrim » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:29 pm

When you sign an overpriced contract on a bad team and can't even win a spot in the rotation what do you expect.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,209

Post#3 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:48 pm

It's not Deng. It's Dang. As in DANG, I stole all this money!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,060

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:53 pm

Arguably the worst contract in the league right now and he’s makng a trade demand. Too funny. I’m sure that everyone sympathizes with the terrible situation he’s in right now.

These guys who want buyouts still want 80-90% of their money, he’s free to walk away and leave the money on the table if he wants out that badly but the Lakers are in better off cutting him and stretching his contract out next summer to max their cap space.

They could probably trade him straight up for Noah considering the Knicks have to many bigs, I’m just not sure that does anything for the Lakers.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
BasketballJosh
Junior
And1: 35

Post#5 » by BasketballJosh » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:37 pm

The_Hater wrote:Arguably the worst contract in the league right now and he’s makng a trade demand. Too funny. I’m sure that everyone sympathizes with the terrible situation he’s in right now.

These guys who want buyouts still want 80-90% of their money, he’s free to walk away and leave the money on the table if he wants out that badly but the Lakers are in better off cutting him and stretching his contract out next summer to max their cap space.

They could probably trade him straight up for Noah considering the Knicks have to many bigs, I’m just not sure that does anything for the Lakers.

No, I think that still belongs to Mosgov -- who the Lakers signed last offseason as well.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#6 » by Killboard » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:54 pm

12footrim wrote:When you sign an overpriced contract on a bad team and can't even win a spot in the rotation what do you expect.

He doesnt have the responsability for the decision making changing in the Lakers organization. If the lakers wont be using him I dont know how is better to have him in the bench than stretch him, and this was a so bad overpay that no team is taking him without at least a first pick attached (and the lakers dont have his next year pick).
The_Hater

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:07 pm

BasketballJosh wrote:
The_Hater wrote:Arguably the worst contract in the league right now and he’s makng a trade demand. Too funny. I’m sure that everyone sympathizes with the terrible situation he’s in right now.

No, I think that still belongs to Mosgov -- who the Lakers signed last offseason as well.

At least Mozgov starts. I’ll take the rotation player over the non-rotation player every time.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#8 » by NormanDale » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:11 pm

Killboard wrote:
12footrim wrote:When you sign an overpriced contract on a bad team and can't even win a spot in the rotation what do you expect.

He doesnt have the responsability for the decision making changing in the Lakers organization. If the lakers wont be using him I dont know how is better to have him in the bench than stretch him, and this was a so bad overpay that no team is taking him without at least a first pick attached (and the lakers dont have his next year pick).

Stretching him means he's on their books for 4 more years though, right? Wouldn't they rather free up that cap space in two years? I'm not sure which option maximizes their chances of signing LeBron and George or whoever, but whichever one that is, that's what they should go with.

How would a buy-out affect their cap position in future years? If they could eat the whole contract this year, it seems like that would be best for them.
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by 12footrim » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:41 pm

Killboard wrote:

He does have a responsibility to shut up about it and do his job and like he said smile and be a good employee, yet he's out in the media doing just what he said he isn't doing pushing for a trade :roll:

Take your 17 million and shut up. Seriously, just do the job your last boss overpaid you to do. If he doesn't like it he can void his contract or give back a huge portion so they can buy you out or cut you. I'm sure they would love to do that and get rid of you.

It's not the lakers responsibility either. They will have to attached valuable assets just to move him somewhere so he could be happier either.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
teebonze
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#10 » by teebonze » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:50 pm

The_Hater wrote:Arguably the worst contract in the league right now

Somewhere at this moment, Chandler Parsons is reading this sentence while smiling then thinking "thank you" in his head.
What you know about Dirk’s leadership skills is non existent. You don’t have a clue. Your ability to evaluate leadership skills….well you obviously have an overinflated value of your own. Did you take business classes at Marquette?
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by 12footrim » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:51 pm

NormanDale wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Stretching him means he's on their books for 4 more years though, right? Wouldn't they rather free up that cap space in two years? I'm not sure which option maximizes their chances of signing LeBron and George or whoever, but whichever one that is, that's what they should go with.

How would a buy-out affect their cap position in future years? If they could eat the whole contract this year, it seems like that would be best for them.

They are in a bad spot. If they stretch him or even buy him out for any kind of money that will cut into their cap space. Any team taking him on whole and freeing up his cap space will demand an asset like the nets did Russell to take on Mosgov. Mosgov probably has more value as well. He at least looks semi playable and cost less.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by 12footrim » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:57 pm

teebonze wrote:

Somewhere at this moment, Chandler Parsons is reading this sentence while smiling then thinking "thank you" in his head.

He's not playing many minutes but he's actually been damn good when he has played. Actually he's been significantly better per minute than at any point in his career through 8 games. It's probably fueled by unsustainable shooting, but at least their is some hope for him being somewhat useful if he can stay healthy because he's looked much better this year. Certainly not what they paid for to be playing 18 minutes a game but if he can get his minutes back up and stay healthy and playing even less than this it wouldn't be as bad because he's has looked better than last year.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 366

Post#13 » by dan-man » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:07 pm

Woah, you have 3 years left on a deal NOBODY in their right mind would trade for and the Lakers are not going to give you a free 50 mil. What on earth are you thinking?
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 366

Post#14 » by dan-man » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:09 pm

This is the last toxic asset from the Fredo Buss & Mitch era. Lets see if Polinka can jedi mind trick someone into trading for him.
The_Hater

Post#15 » by The_Hater » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:18 pm

teebonze wrote:

He's on the list but he's playing about 20 relatively effective mpg right now for the Grizzlies. (PER 21.8. TS% 66.2)

Or about 20 more than Deng is playing.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,233

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Nov 7, 2017 6:10 pm

The_Hater wrote:
BasketballJosh wrote:

At least Mozgov starts. I’ll take the rotation player over the non-rotation player every time.

The Lakers deciding not to play him doesn't make it a bad contract. Or I should say, it's bad for the team situation but that has no reflection on the player. The Lakers can't win this year so they are developing their youth. It's that simple. But wings are at a premium in the league right now and I would take Deng over a handful of players that are making more than him. He would make NO instantly a playoff lock because he fits their specific need.

And if you count injured players than we must remember that Bosh is getting paid through next year.
The_Hater

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Tue Nov 7, 2017 6:56 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
BasketballJosh wrote:

The Lakers deciding not to play him doesn't make it a bad contract. Or I should say, it's bad for the team situation but that has no reflection on the player. The Lakers can't win this year so they are developing their youth. It's that simple. But wings are at a premium in the league right now and I would take Deng over a handful of players that are making more than him. He would make NO instantly a playoff lock because he fits their specific need.

And if you count injured players than we must remember that Bosh is getting paid through next year.

I'm pretty certain, based on what we saw in almost 1500 minutes last season, that Deng is a very bad basketball player now. A 10.1 PER and a 47.0 TS% doesn't get you you playing time on good teams either. Even New Orleans has better options which is more a indictment on Deng than an endorsement for the NO wing players.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#18 » by colaroaster » Tue Nov 7, 2017 7:13 pm

deng could use a stint in the G league to get his skills in game shape - this new nba's fast and no match for an old man in the box
jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge
rgm70
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#19 » by rgm70 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 7:21 pm

NormanDale wrote:
Killboard wrote:

If Deng is desperate enough to leave some money on the table, then the lakers should do it because that would decrease the yearly cap hit of his stretched contract. right now, with 2 last two years of Dengs contract, they could stretch two two years to 5 at about 7.3 million a year (about 36 million).
If lakers FO can reduced that in the buyout to say 20-25 millioin, then the cap hit on the 5 stretched years would go down considerably (to somewhere in the 4-5 mil a year).
so def worth it to negociate Deng down on a possible buyout.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#20 » by gordoncatrell » Tue Nov 7, 2017 7:37 pm

i Love Deng, but he cant ball anymore. his Body is out of gas. no legs. he should be a good Vet and teach the kids how to compete and play D...

Return to Wiretap Discussion