Bobby Portis 'Can't Control' Fallout Of Nikola Mirotic Situation

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Bobby Portis 'Can't Control' Fallout Of Nikola Mirotic Situation 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:11 pm

Bobby Portis returned from his eight-game suspension on Tuesday but his future with the Chicago Bulls remains uncertain. Portis and Nikola Mirotic had a fight at practice that left Mirotic with a concussion and facial fracture. 

"No, I haven't talked to Niko," Portis said before the game.

In his first public comments after the fight last month, Portis said he texted and called Mirotic but did not hear back from him. On Tuesday, Portis noted that he has not tried to reach out to Mirotic since.

"I just let bygones be bygones with that," Portis said before the game. "I can't control that. Only thing I can control is myself at this point. I'm not worried about who goes, who stays. Only thing I'm worried about is coming in trying to play at the highest level possible. I'm living my dream right now. This is my dream. I've always wanted to play in the NBA. I'm here, and that's all I want to do at this point."

Portis didn't seem concerned with recent reports that Mirotic's representatives have made it clear to the Bulls that Mirotic isn't interested in sharing the floor with Portis again in Chicago.

"I'm just here to play basketball," Portis said before Tuesday's game. "I can't control who goes. I go, he goes, I don't control that. Only thing I can control is me coming in to work every day, working hard, being the same kid that I've always been. If I can continue to do that, then that's all I can really control."

Via Nick Friedell/ESPN

pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Re: Bobby Portis 'Can't Control' Fallout Of Nikola Mirotic Situation 

Post#2 » by pwrshft99 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:25 pm

Crazy Eyes not concerned, he knows he can switch over to WWE and be a star
#sadbullsfan
bgrep14
Veteran
And1: 211

Post#3 » by bgrep14 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:45 pm

Portis must have never heard the old fashion motto "there's no I in team". The guy clearly only cares about himself, the Bulls should trade him for Okafor and a 2nd.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#4 » by GaaBaaBoo » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:53 pm

A ton of nonsense from a selfish prick.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#5 » by RememberLu » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:56 pm

Niko started it, Bobby finished it
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#6 » by Stratmaster » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:26 pm

So the one thing you can control is yourself. Too bad you didn't have that thought right before you decked Niko. He acts like this whole situation was just "beyond his control".
Chucky_Atkins7
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Chucky_Atkins7 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:38 pm

lol he showed his game like he's better than Markkanen. especially on the defensive end. im not a bulls fan, but i think he deserves more of a starter role instead of Markkanen. that finland guy can develop his skills in practice and come off the bench, replacing Portis. just look at Portis' young age, he still has the potential and i really like his maturity on court. not talking about that incident, but he knows what he's doing on court.
Image #INSTANWETRUST
The Senator
Junior
And1: 340

Post#8 » by The Senator » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:58 pm

Chucky_Atkins7 wrote:lol he showed his game like he's better than Markkanen. especially on the defensive end. im not a bulls fan, but i think he deserves more of a starter role instead of Markkanen. that finland guy can develop his skills in practice and come off the bench, replacing Portis. just look at Portis' young age, he still has the potential and i really like his maturity on court. not talking about that incident, but he knows what he's doing on court.

Are you serious? Portis has shown very little maturity on the court, and Markkanen has demonstrated that he's shown flashes of real potential, and is nowhere near as bad of a defender as I was expecting him to be, especially at this early point. He's the sort that you want to throw good minutes at, not a career backup type, which Portis projects to be, if he stays in the league. His lack of athleticism, gunner mentality and underwhelming sense of the court is going to hold him back, and I don't see this defensive acumen that you refer to. Yes, Portis is still young, but I don't think he's got a high level NBA skillset.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#9 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:41 pm

RememberLu wrote:Niko started it, Bobby finished it

What I don't like is he suckerpunched him according to all the reports that came out which is some foul **** that shouldn't happen. At least go at him when he's in your face.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#10 » by RememberLu » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:48 pm

Boston34Bg wrote:
RememberLu wrote:Niko started it, Bobby finished it

What I don't like is he suckerpunched him according to all the reports that came out which is some foul **** that shouldn't happen. At least go at him when he's in your face.

You were reading the wrong reports then. Niko started it, charged Bobby twice and Bobby laid him out. No sucker punch, he just got caught after starting ish.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,483

Post#11 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:17 pm

Chucky_Atkins7 wrote:lol he showed his game like he's better than Markkanen. especially on the defensive end. im not a bulls fan, but i think he deserves more of a starter role instead of Markkanen. that finland guy can develop his skills in practice and come off the bench, replacing Portis. just look at Portis' young age, he still has the potential and i really like his maturity on court. not talking about that incident, but he knows what he's doing on court.

Wow this post is so bad LMFAO
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#12 » by papidulo » Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:05 pm

The way i see the situation:

1. Bobby and Niko got into a fight (they say Niko charged Bobby twice before Bobby broke his face)
2. Nikos face and ego are broken
3. He doesnt want to come back to the team bc Bobby will always have that mental edge of " i whupped you" over him
4. Niko tried to make it a "him or me" situation with management; the rest of the team is on Portis's side
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#13 » by uraverage » Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:48 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:"I can't control who goes. I go, he goes, I don't control that. Only thing I can control is me coming in to work every day, working hard, being the same kid that I've always been . If I can continue to do that, then that's all I can really control."Via Nick Friedell/ESPN

I didn't know that 22 years old was still considered a kid....
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,665

Post#14 » by ChuckChilly » Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:50 pm

I don't understand why most people on here think Portis is to blame and want him off the roster when the actual Bulls players are siding with Portis.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Harduke
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#15 » by Harduke » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:08 pm

Initial reports were it was a sucker punch. Unless that changed that would be why people blame him.

That's a coward... also, you make it seem like being more popular on a losing team/ locker room is admirable.

ChuckChilly wrote:I don't understand why most people on here think Portis is to blame and want him off the roster when the actual Bulls players are siding with Portis.

ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,665

Re: RE: Re: Bobby Portis 'Can't Control' Fallout Of Nikola Mirotic Situation 

Post#16 » by ChuckChilly » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:12 pm

Harduke wrote:Initial reports were it was a sucker punch. Unless that changed that would be why people blame him.

That's a coward... also, you make it seem like being more popular on a losing team/ locker room is admirable.

ChuckChilly wrote:I don't understand why most people on here think Portis is to blame and want him off the roster when the actual Bulls players are siding with Portis.

No. But do you think players would be backing Portis if it really was just some out of the blue sucker punch? I don't think so. You didn't hear anyone vouching for Ron Artist during his craziness.

macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#17 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:51 pm

Indeed he can't control it, but he should have thought twice before his actions.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#18 » by johanliebert » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:22 pm

Harduke wrote:Initial reports were it was a sucker punch. Unless that changed that would be why people blame him.

yes but it was later revealed mirotic charged him twice and initiated everything.

coward is a very strong word to use if you admit your not sure what happened. sure they are a losing team but they wre in that practise and know what really happened.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#19 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:17 pm

Would like to know how it started and what was said.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#20 » by urinesane » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:00 am

The only thing we know for sure is that none of the posters in this thread were there, so they can't really say what happened.

Sounds like there's all sorts of reports, doesn't mean any of you know the truth.

The facts are the Portis punched Mirotic and put him out of the lineup.

Portis should learn how to use his words if he wants to be an adult, rather than a kid. Mirotic should sue for damages.

Return to Wiretap Discussion