Thunder Unlikely To Afford Current Roster Beyond 17-18

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Thunder Unlikely To Afford Current Roster Beyond 17-18 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:03 pm

The Oklahoma City Thunder are unlikely to continue with their current trajectory of an expensive roster and the luxury tax ramifications.

The Thunder signed Russell Westbrook to a $233 million extension in training camp while Paul George can sign a new deal this offseason.

"If we're being honest with ourselves, this is a one-year run with this team," said Wojnarowski on his podcast. "They have one chance with this team because they cannot bring back this team together next year. Even if Paul George re-signs and says 'I want to stay.' Financially, it is impossible for this team, I don't want to say remotely look the same, but the idea of Carmelo, Westbrook and George on the same roster withe Melo opting into his salary next year.

"This would be an incredible bill for the New York Knicks, the Lakers or Steve Ballmer to pay, nevermind Clay Bennett in a small market like Oklahoma City."

Wojnarowski, Royce Young and Bobby Marks talked about how their decision to decline the option on Josh Huestis as an example of how they're already making cost conscious moves.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,673

Re: Thunder Unlikely To Afford Current Roster Beyond 17-18 

Post#2 » by the_process » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:28 pm

OKC should look into moving Melo to CLE or HOU at the deadline.
Vince604
Junior
And1: 359

Post#3 » by Vince604 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Paul George is not playing his best and he doesn’t mind losing as a Thunder, which will give him a valid reason to bolt to LA for next season.
My all-time starting five: Hakeem Olajuwan, Michael Jordan, and three 3nD role players.

I follow the NBA, not just one team.

Vancouver Crows NBA expansion team
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,384

Post#4 » by Jody Smokz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:19 pm

For what? What sense does it make for any of the 3 teams?

the_process wrote:OKC should look into moving Melo to CLE or HOU at the deadline.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#5 » by PDXKnight » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:30 pm

That roster looks way better on paper than on the floor. There's a lot of season left but I felt this going into the season and Contjnue to feel the same way: this okc team is a second round exit team if I ever saw one
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#6 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:31 pm

not surprised to here this. if they weren't so cheap they could have still had Harden.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#7 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:47 pm

good thing okc didnt give up much for pg/melo.....melo is opting in, even if okc loses, melo loves his $, hes not gona get anirher annual $ like that again
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,160

Post#8 » by Tofubeque » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Too bad they're not owned by Paul Allen in Seattle.
props Turbozone
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#9 » by Scalabrine » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:39 pm

BallnIngram wrote:good thing okc didnt give up much for pg/melo.....melo is opting in, even if okc loses, melo loves his $, hes not gona get anirher annual $ like that again

Jrue Holiday, Andre Drummond, Bradley Beal, Paul Milsap, CJ McCollum, Otto Porter all make more then him.

Ryan Anderson, Harrison Barnes, Nic Batum, Chandler Parsons, Dwight Howard, JJ Reddick, Serge Ibaka, Danilo Gallinari all make close to as much as him.

He should be able to get another 2 or 3 year deal worth at least 20 million annually I'd think.
Go Knicks!
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#10 » by NoZoLakers » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:13 am

Scalabrine wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:good thing okc didnt give up much for pg/melo.....melo is opting in, even if okc loses, melo loves his $, hes not gona get anirher annual $ like that again

Jrue Holiday, Andre Drummond, Bradley Beal, Paul Milsap, CJ McCollum, Otto Porter all make more then him.

Ryan Anderson, Harrison Barnes, Nic Batum, Chandler Parsons, Dwight Howard, JJ Reddick, Serge Ibaka, Danilo Gallinari all make close to as much as him.

He should be able to get another 2 or 3 year deal worth at least 20 million annually I'd think.
any one still paying this dude 20mill/yr for multiple yrs will get fired before melo contract expires
Makaveli2
Junior
And1: 56

Post#11 » by Makaveli2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:03 am

He obviously doesn’t mind losing. If he wanted to win he wouldn’t want to go to the lakers.
Vince604 wrote:Paul George is not playing his best and he doesn’t mind losing as a Thunder, which will give him a valid reason to bolt to LA for next season.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#12 » by cheese318 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:43 am

If JJ Reddick just got paid 23 million dollars for one season you are going to argue with me saying Carmelo Anthony couldn’t get that same contract this upcoming offseason? Personally he could probably get 2-3 year deal given the right team. 2/40 or maybe 3/50-5

l do agree that Melo loves his money over winning so that’s a given as to what his top priority will be. Winning comes 3rd in Melos book. If he cared about winning he never would have forced a trade to NYK. Funny that team could have been very good and Chris Paul could have joined him if He would have just signed as a free agent with the Knicks. He forced the Knicks to give up all their assets just to add him they could have signed him outright and kept them all in-house. Melo was worried about the cap situation changing how contracts would be prorated and wanted his max contract before the threat occurred in the offseason. Nets being involved forced the Knicks hand and of course the brilliance of the New York Knicks ownership James Dolan got involved and forced the trade to happen with Donnie Walsh having no say in the matter

Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:

Return to Wiretap Discussion