Re: Rick Carlisle On Nerlens Noel DNP: Minutes Have To Be Earned

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rick Carlisle On Nerlens Noel DNP: Minutes Have To Be Earned 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Nerlens Noel was a DNP-Coach's Decision in the Dallas Mavericks' 111-104 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Rick Carlisle said Salah Mejri has earned playing time over Noel at this point.

"Look, minutes have to be earned," Carlisle said. "At this point, if it's between him and Salah, Salah has earned the minutes. There's no doghouse here. There just isn't. It's pretty simple: You compete, and if you earn minutes, you get minutes. And you've got to compete to keep them, because it's a competitive situation."

Noel said he wasn't bothered by sitting in the game and is trying to stay ready.

"I'm good, I'm good," Noel said. "I'm a very self-confident player. I know I can go in there and change games. When my number is called, I'll do just that and help some winning efforts. That's all my play style is about, is just winning. When I'm called on, I'll bring my winning effort."

Noel turned down a four-year, $70 million contract offer by the Mavericks this offseason.

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#2 » by dan-man » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:46 pm

He's gotta be thinking about that 70 mil as he's riding that bench. WOOPS! :banghead: What a terrible gamble it was to decline the 70 mil offer without a reasonable stretch of healthy playing time to show for himself.
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#3 » by chipchipperson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:47 pm

dan-man wrote:He's gotta be thinking about that 70 mil as he's riding that bench. WOOPS! :banghead: What a terrible gamble it was to decline the 70 mil offer without a reasonable stretch of healthy playing time to show for himself.

If he'd signed that contract he'd be getting 35 mpg. It seems like the mavs are just trying to spite him at this point. He's clearly their best option at center.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#4 » by rzzzzz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:18 pm

my imagination, or was Nerlens playing pretty good for the Mavs last year? he and Carlisle both have well deserved reputations for stubborness. Nerlens, once again, in need of a change of scene.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#5 » by inquisitive » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:28 pm

Since he only signed this 1 yr deal, he knows better to have a good attitude and try to get more minutes for a huge payday this summer. should've taken that contract with mavs, but now he needs to step up.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
MovieMuscle
Starter
And1: 949

Post#6 » by MovieMuscle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm

lol I knew the coach was salty and spiteful after the offseason happenings. Horrible example for your team, dude...
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#7 » by Sam195 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:11 pm

inquisitive wrote:Since he only signed this 1 yr deal, he knows better to have a good attitude and try to get more minutes for a huge payday this summer. should've taken that contract with mavs, but now he needs to step up.

He wanted max offer sheet money like Otto Porter Jr at 4 years 106M last summer but no other team seem interested or saw pursuing him as a pointless effort because mavs would match regardless and you would just be brewing bad blood with Cuban by forcing him to overpay. Apparently Noel was willing to settle for Harrison Barnes money 4 years 94M but Mavs were only willing to offer him the same money as comparable centers - Enes Kanter, Jonas Valanciunas, Joakim Noah (before injuries and suspension) & Bismack Byombo (before he declined in Orlando) at 4 years 70M.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 pm

chipchipperson wrote:
dan-man wrote:He's gotta be thinking about that 70 mil as he's riding that bench. WOOPS! :banghead: What a terrible gamble it was to decline the 70 mil offer without a reasonable stretch of healthy playing time to show for himself.

If he'd signed that contract he'd be getting 35 mpg. It seems like the mavs are just trying to spite him at this point. He's clearly their best option at center.

IDK, Carlisle plays who he wants to play. I don't think he cares what you make after taxes. And you're going to have to prove Noel is clearly their best center. Or, more importantly to Carlisle, Noel has to prove it.

Per 36 numbers:
Noel- 11.5 points 11.7 rebounds 1.7 blocks 6.8 eDiff
Mejri- 10 points 15.7 rebounds 5.3 blocks 30.0 eDiff
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Re: Rick Carlisle On Nerlens Noel DNP: Minutes Have To Be Earned 

Post#9 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Oh no! That contract!

It's not like Carlisle didn't give him opportunities. He didn't produce as a starter playing major minutes.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Re: Re: Rick Carlisle On Nerlens Noel DNP: Minutes Have To Be Earned 

Post#10 » by nedleeds » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:37 pm

A no skill banger energy guy, where will they ever find another one if he leaves?
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#11 » by dan-man » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:56 am

chipchipperson wrote:

There would certainly be more pressure on the team to develop him given that kind of commitment. At this point, they might just try to sandbag his market value by riding him some pine.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#12 » by gordoncatrell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:51 am

Slight quicker, less-clumsy Thabeet.
dont let the door hit you on the way out, Nerlens.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#13 » by BigTex » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:52 am

chipchipperson wrote:

I don't think so. Carlise plays whoever is playing well. Salah has been playing excellent defense lately around the basket. And as porous as the rest of our defense has been, that is important. Noel got a few minutes in at the end of tonight's game and showed nothing. Granted it was in so-called "garbage time," but when you're riding the pine, there is no such thing as garbage time. Two wasted minutes for Noel. Salah was 2-3, 5 rebounds, one block, +2 , and a number of effected shots in a bit over eleven minutes.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#14 » by MitchB3 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 am

Then why did Dallas trade for him last season then? So I'm also guessing Dirk has to "earn" his minutes then?
ToJoBuckets
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#15 » by ToJoBuckets » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:50 am

HOT TAKE INCOMING... I think Carlisle lost his edge I think the NBA has moved on past his style.... I might be wrong but just seems like less coaching and more demanding. I dont think it works with these new guys
chipchipperson
Junior

Post#16 » by chipchipperson » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:45 pm

BigTex wrote:
chipchipperson wrote:

I don't think so. Carlise plays whoever is playing well. Salah has been playing excellent defense lately around the basket. And as porous as the rest of our defense has been, that is important. Noel got a few minutes in at the end of tonight's game and showed nothing. Granted it was in so-called "garbage time," but when you're riding the pine, there is no such thing as garbage time. Two wasted minutes for Noel. Salah was 2-3, 5 rebounds, one block, +2 , and a number of effected shots in a bit over eleven minutes.

The inconsistency of noel's playing time seems to have affected his rhythm, but there's no aspect of defense in which salah is superior to noel. It's also telling that this team has absolutely nothing going for it and won't even put the guy on the floor. It's not like it's going to affect their ability to win games, and if noel isn't in their plans they should at least be letting him get some run so as to up his trade value. This dirk at center **** is clearly a terrible idea, and the other young bigs getting playing time over noel don't have half his abilities or potential(salah being a possible exception).
chipchipperson
Junior

Post#17 » by chipchipperson » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
chipchipperson wrote:

IDK, Carlisle plays who he wants to play. I don't think he cares what you make after taxes. And you're going to have to prove Noel is clearly their best center. Or, more importantly to Carlisle, Noel has to prove it.

Per 36 numbers:
Noel- 11.5 points 11.7 rebounds 1.7 blocks 6.8 eDiff
Mejri- 10 points 15.7 rebounds 5.3 blocks 30.0 eDiff

Salah's been put in positions to succeed, and noel's been put in positions to fail(I will grant this is a subjective take). More importantly, salah's 31 already, has clear stamina issues. For a team that's playing for nothing, there's no reason for a relatively young big with potential to not be able to get on the floor. You're also ignoring the fact that dirk is getting the bulk of the center minutes. There's no reason noel can't start with mejri getting his <15 mpg behind him.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,560

Post#18 » by Harry Garris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:09 pm

chipchipperson wrote:

In the minutes he has played this season he has the worst net rating of anyone on the team, and this team has some BAD players. He's been awful. Because he has no real basketball skills, the main thing he provides as a player is energy and hustle on defense, but he's even been terrible defensively this year. There's just no reason to play the guy as he kills the team's offense because he can't really do anything on that end of the floor and he's constantly gambling for steals and out of position on defense. He was always their best option at center if he developed, but he didn't. He's regressed over the offseason. I don't understand why anyone would want this guy because he's been in the league for 4 years now and is still unable to do anything other than occasionally make an athletic play on defense and catch lobs. There has been so little development from him as a player that we can't just blame the coaches anymore, this is on Nerlens.
chipchipperson
Junior

Post#19 » by chipchipperson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
chipchipperson wrote:

In the minutes he has played this season he has the worst net rating of anyone on the team, and this team has some BAD players. He's been awful. Because he has no real basketball skills, the main thing he provides as a player is energy and hustle on defense, but he's even been terrible defensively this year. There's just no reason to play the guy as he kills the team's offense because he can't really do anything on that end of the floor and he's constantly gambling for steals and out of position on defense. He was always their best option at center if he developed, but he didn't. He's regressed over the offseason. I don't understand why anyone would want this guy because he's been in the league for 4 years now and is still unable to do anything other than occasionally make an athletic play on defense and catch lobs. There has been so little development from him as a player that we can't just blame the coaches anymore, this is on Nerlens.

He's playing poorly in a broken system that sees dirk's corpse getting starters minutes at center? He's been given no opportunity to succeed, so he's checked out. It's not the most professional approach, but I can't really blame the guy since it's become clear the mavs have no plans for utilizing him in any meaningful way. At this point he just needs a change of scenery.
As for who would want him...I can't speak for anyone else but I would be ecstatic if the nets took Noel off your hands. He has plenty of productive basketball ahead of him, Dallas just doesn't seem to be the place where he's going to get an opportunity to show it.
My biggest issue with this situation is this: why are the mavs and their fan base so quick to give up on a potential-laden young big when they have literally nothing going for them whatsoever save for a top three pick in next years draft? There is literally nothing to lose in giving him burn.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#20 » by The_Hater » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:22 pm

chipchipperson wrote:

If he'd signed that contract he'd be getting 35 mpg. .

Most coaches don’t consider salary when putting players on the floor, Carlisle would be near the top of this list.

Noel was in the rotation for 10 games and was subsequently benched because he played awful. It’s not anymore complicated than that.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Wiretap Discussion