Steve Kerr: Boston Looks Like The Team Of The Future In The East

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Steve Kerr: Boston Looks Like The Team Of The Future In The East 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Steve Kerr described the Boston Celtics as the next great team in the Eastern Conference.

"It sure looks like Boston is the team of the future in the East, with the assets that they still have and their young talent and their coaching, and Kyrie [Irving] is amazing," Kerr said after practice Tuesday. "That looks like a team that is going to be at the top of the East for a long time to come. Whether their time is now or the future, that's to be determined, but they sure look like they want it to be right now."

Kerr complimented the Celtics for how they've worked in younger players while continuing to play excellent basketball at the top of league.

"They're really sound, and they're motivated," he said. "It's a team that's been on the rise the last couple of years. They lost in the conference finals. They want to win a championship, and it looks like it. Even without Gordon Hayward and that awful injury, Boston is just crushing people. So, it's going to be really fun to go against them on Thursday. We know how tough it's going to be."

The Warriors will play at the Celtics on Thursday.

Via Chris Haynes/ESPN

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Re: Steve Kerr: Boston Looks Like The Team Of The Future In The East 

Post#2 » by Donnyxc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:36 pm

This feels like a game where the Warriors put up a 20 point lead in the first half, and the Celtics make a comeback in the 4th.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#3 » by the_process » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:36 pm

I think there are at least a couple of East teams who beg to differ.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,730

Post#4 » by KamikazeK » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 pm

the_process wrote:I think there are at least a couple of East teams who beg to differ.

crappy teams don't count
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#5 » by the_process » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 pm

KamikazeK wrote:
the_process wrote:I think there are at least a couple of East teams who beg to differ.

crappy teams don't count

Thoughts from Boston fans don’t count.
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#6 » by Pedro » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Such as whom?
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 660

Post#7 » by DelMonte West » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Cool story, bro. How many of them have won 13 games in a row without one of their all-stars for the season and are fielding 11 new players to the system? Feel free to respond to this directly any time now.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,228

Post#8 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:48 pm

DelMonte West wrote:

Cool story, bro. How many of them have won 13 games in a row without one of their all-stars for the season and are fielding 11 new players to the system? Feel free to respond to this directly any time now.

Not gonna mention the East, but I will leave this here.

Source: http://www.nba.com/history/top-moments/2008-rockets-22-game-win-streak#/

What ended up happening that season? A 1st round loss in 6 games.

Conclusion: THIS IS ALL PREMATURE.
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#9 » by Donnyxc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:57 pm

the_process wrote:
KamikazeK wrote:

crappy teams don't count

Thoughts from Boston fans don’t count.

Guys, we and Philly already have the worst fans in all Sports. Please don't enhance that reputation! haha
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#10 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:00 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
DelMonte West wrote:

Not gonna mention the East, but I will leave this here.

Source: http://www.nba.com/history/top-moments/2008-rockets-22-game-win-streak#/

What ended up happening that season? A 1st round loss in 6 games.

Just FYI, nobody is saying the Celtics have a bright future because they've won 13 games in a row. They're saying the Celtics have a bright future because they have a collection of really good young players aged 19-27, some potentially good draft picks, and a universally admired, top-tier coach.

None of that is premature.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#11 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:09 pm

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
DelMonte West wrote:

Just FYI, nobody is saying the Celtics have a bright future because they've won 13 games in a row. They're saying the Celtics have a bright future because they have a collection of really good young players aged 19-27, some potentially good draft picks, and a universally admired, top-tier coach.

Premature.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#12 » by Wo1verine » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:18 pm

I think ownership is key here when it comes to Boston - Ainge was allowed to trade players while he could for assets even if it meant taking a couple steps back.

Here in Toronto, we have been spinning our wheels with the same damn garbage core for many years despite total underwhelming results.

Only thing that matters for Toronto is making the post-season as much as possible they rather not take chances if it meant sacrificing a playoff team.
BrunoSkull
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager

Post#13 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:

Premature.

So you think his sole basis for saying the Celtics have a bright future is their winning streak? Not the fact that we' have enough talent to win games despite having a new team and missing our second-best player?

Presumably you're not using "premature" in response to what I wrote. So terrific job thoroughly beating that straw man.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#14 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:

Premature.

So you think his sole basis for saying the Celtics have a bright future is their winning streak? Not the fact that we' have enough talent to win games despite having a new team and missing our second-best player?

Presumably you're not using "premature" in response to what I wrote. So terrific job thoroughly beating that straw man.

"So you think his sole basis for saying the Celtics have a bright future is their winning streak? Not the fact that we' have enough talent to win games despite having a new team and missing our second-best player?"

No, I was responding to your questioning what East teams can "beg to differ" in the first place.

Great presumption. I wish you had done that before saying what you first said. Stop making things personal with the "terrific job" comments. It's not about you.
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#15 » by NormanDale » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Are you saying Kerr is wrong?
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager

Post#16 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:

Premature.

"So you think his sole basis for saying the Celtics have a bright future is their winning streak? Not the fact that we' have enough talent to win games despite having a new team and missing our second-best player?"

No, I was responding to your questioning what East teams can "beg to differ" in the first place.

Great presumption. I wish you had done that before saying what you first said. Stop making things personal with the "terrific job" comments. It's not about you.

Huh? I didn't question what teams can "beg to differ." I think you're a little confused.

My comment made things personal? Saying that you're whacking a straw man because you're a Raps fan who doesn't want to admit the Celts have a really bright future isn't exactly a vicious ad hominem attack.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#17 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:52 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:

Huh? I didn't question what teams can "beg to differ." I think you're a little confused.

My comment made things personal? Saying that you're whacking a straw man because you're a Raps fan who doesn't want to admit the Celts have a really bright future isn't exactly a vicious ad hominem attack.

Once again, did I say the Celts don't have a bright future?

And I'm the toughest Raptors fan I know. I think our team is pathetic.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#18 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:54 pm

sure does steve, sure does.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#19 » by HotelVitale » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:36 pm

NormanDale wrote:
Are you saying Kerr is wrong?
Kerr probably hasn't even watched them play a game this year. Busy dude, doesn't sit around watching teams from different conferences whom he hasn't played yet.

He's probably just seeing their record and win streak--all without Hayward--and making the logic assumption that a young team doing that will be a major force for years to come. (I'm not going to get into the actual debate, but I will say that they've been by far the best defensive team in the NBA so far and I don't think that'll hold up, so they're probably playing a little above their station at the moment.)
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#20 » by Donnyxc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Wo1verine wrote:I think ownership is key here when it comes to Boston - Ainge was allowed to trade players while he could for assets even if it meant taking a couple steps back.

Here in Toronto, we have been spinning our wheels with the same damn garbage core for many years despite total underwhelming results.

Only thing that matters for Toronto is making the post-season as much as possible they rather not take chances if it meant sacrificing a playoff team.

I still think that 2014 Raptors team that lost to the Nets in Game 7 had a shot at beating Miami. Similarly to the 2016 team that lost 4-2 to Cleveland in the ECF. Still in a good place this year, Lowry will pick it up.

Return to Wiretap Discussion