NBA Players Increasingly Switching To Plant-Based Diet

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

NBA Players Increasingly Switching To Plant-Based Diet 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:22 pm

Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard, Wilson Chandler, Al Jefferson, Garrett Temple, Enes Kanter, JaVale McGee and Jahlil Okafor have all made a switch to a vegan or vegetarian diet over the past year or so.

"Been on more of a plant-based diet, getting away from the animals and all that," Irving told ESPN during the preseason. "I had to get away from that. So my energy is up; my body feels amazing."

"He's had great energy all year," Boston coach Brad Stevens says of Irving. "The nutrition side is huge."

"I wanted to eat cleaner," Lillard told The Oregonian this offseason. "Also I want to play lighter this year and be easier on my joints and feet. I'm getting older, you know what I mean?"

"For athletes, it's tough," Chandler tells B/R Mag. "It's not a plant-based world."

The weight of the league increased by seven pounds per player from 2000 until 2013 but has fallen three pounds on average per player over the past four years as the NBA has moved towards a fast playing style.

Irving attributes to his increased energy to his diet.

"It works," Irving tells B/R Mag. "I mean, I'm not eating a whole bunch of animals anymore. Once you become awake, you don't see that stuff anymore."

Kip Andersen, the director of the What The Health documentary, says his friends joke that the NBA will soon be called the NVA, the National Vegan Association, because "that's how many players are going vegan or vegetarian."

Jaylen Brown hasn't eaten red meat or pork for his entire life. In college at Berkeley, Brown went full-on vegetarian, but he's found it harder to stick to it "outside of Cali." Brown aspires to go vegan by his 25th birthday.

"That's my goal," Brown says. "I just want to do it. I just think it's a healthier lifestyle. Maybe it can give me a competitive edge on the basketball floor. I think that's the next step."

Via Tom Haberstroh/Bleacher Report

binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,685

Re: NBA Players Increasingly Switching To Plant-Based Diet 

Post#2 » by binjumper » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:54 pm

I read this while eating fried chicken. Way to go me.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#3 » by pootbrah » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 pm

stay woke fam

but forreal go vegan everyone. its the best way in every single way. there literally isnt a single valid argument against it.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#4 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:19 pm

I love animals so I can dig people going vegan/vegetarian regardless of its nutritional value. With that said, I cringed when Kyrie said "once you become awake..." How enlightened does this guy think he is?
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,246

Post#5 » by Harry Garris » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:27 pm

pootbrah wrote:stay woke fam

but forreal go vegan everyone. its the best way in every single way. there literally isnt a single valid argument against it.

Yeah there is. It's expensive as hell to buy real, fresh food. Unless you eat nothing but frozen or processed trash, but that stuff isn't good for you even if it is vegan, so it really defeats the purpose.
pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Post#6 » by pwrshft99 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Everything I'm kool with until Kyrie's last sentence
#sadbullsfan
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,590

Post#7 » by AK47MVP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:34 pm

How about one simple argument. Humans did not evolve to eat vegan. You need animal protein for the bacteria in your body to produce vit b12. They can't do it from any plant source. All vegans need to supplement vit B12. Vegan diet is not healthy, period....large percent of vegans switch back to eating animal origin products after few years when their health starts deteriorating.
Having said that vegetarian diet is totally fine. As long as you get small amounts of fish( seafood), eggs or diary here and there you will do great.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,973

Post#8 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:37 pm

A big problem with animals is that they wander around and can fall off the edge of the world. That's a major cost for ranchers, increasing the price of meat. Plants OTOH just compliantly wait to be harvested.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#9 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:A big problem with animals is that they wander around and can fall off the edge of the world. That's a major cost for ranchers. Plants OTOH just stay there, waiting to be harvested.

YES!
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#10 » by Donnyxc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm

SuperDario wrote:I love animals so I can dig people going vegan/vegetarian regardless of its nutritional value. With that said, I cringed when Kyrie said "once you become awake..." How enlightened does this guy think he is?

Haha Kyrie is the MOST woke.

Seriously though, he just does this sh*t all the time. Takes quotes he likes from conversation and repeats them.

It's like when he's been saying "Little things are not the little things in the grand scheme of things".
He probably heard Brad say that once and was like woah I love that.
Now he is just so very woke.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#11 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm

No wonder the League is so soft now. No one eats meat.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Harry Garris wrote:

Yeah there is. It's expensive as hell to buy real, fresh food. Unless you eat nothing but frozen or processed trash, but that stuff isn't good for you even if it is vegan, so it really defeats the purpose.

Vegetarian can be cheaper than eating meat but true veganism is both difficult and expensive. Besides, cheese and honey are awesome!
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,246

Post#13 » by Harry Garris » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:43 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:

Vegetarian can be cheaper than eating meat but true veganism is both difficult and expensive. Besides, cheese and honey are awesome!

Yeah I just meant veganism is expensive. You almost have to be paid like a NBA player just to be able to afford that lifestyle.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#14 » by CobraCommander » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:No wonder the League is so soft now. No one eats meat.

You are right.... the league is soft and as a vegetarian for a decade, I am less aggressive now than when i was a meat eater.

But the true point is this...why is it surprising or news worthy that someone that gets paid to maximize their body is using nutrition to do so? The point is have a DIET instead of just do what ever.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#15 » by Beethoven » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Why? Meat tastes so good.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
sewerfrosh
Junior
And1: 126

Post#16 » by sewerfrosh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:54 pm

What the vegans dont realize, is that most plant based food is grown in green houses, roots never touch soil but rather grow in troughs of fertilizers. they are eating nitrates, nothing but nitrate, phosphorous and pottassium. NPK major components of fertilizer.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#17 » by RememberLu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Irving is also a nutcase so I wouldn't take cues from him about anything
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#18 » by the_process » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:01 pm

Kyrie thinks the Earth is flat. So... there’s that.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/11/01/kyrie-irving-celtics-flat-earth-theory
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,115

Post#19 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Um, steak tastes good. /thread
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,190
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#20 » by BKlutch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 pm

I wonder if there is any relationship between this article and the one right before it, "Karl-Anthony Towns In Favor Of NBA Allowing Medicinal Marijuana"?

Oh, Gee, I see we're playing D. Powered by the after-Burner

Return to Wiretap Discussion