NBA Players Increasingly Switching To Plant-Based Diet

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Re: NBA Players Increasingly Switching To Plant-Based Diet 

Post#21 » by the_process » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:A big problem with animals is that they wander around and can fall off the edge of the world. That's a major cost for ranchers. Plants OTOH just stay there, waiting to be harvested.

:lol: Fantastic.
the_process
RealGM

Post#22 » by the_process » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 pm

BKlutch wrote:I wonder if there is any relationship between this article and the one right before it, "Karl-Anthony Towns In Favor Of NBA Allowing Medicinal Marijuana"?

Yep, bunch of damn hippies playing basketball nowadays :lol:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#23 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
Yeah there is. It's expensive as hell to buy real, fresh food. Unless you eat nothing but frozen or processed trash, but that stuff isn't good for you even if it is vegan, so it really defeats the purpose.

Vegetarian can be cheaper than eating meat but true veganism is both difficult and expensive. Besides, cheese and honey are awesome!

Yeah I just meant veganism is expensive. You almost have to be paid like a NBA player just to be able to afford that lifestyle.

I got you. I have several friends that claim to be "vegan" but are actually just strict vegetarians. It's too hard because eggs and dairy products are everywhere. And a lot of organic products are sweetened with honey (bee vomit) instead of sugar. Not saying it's a poor life choice, just very difficult. (Side note, if you eat fish you are not vegi or vegan. You are an omnivore.)

I personally eat all kinds of meat... because I'm a good American!
the_process
RealGM

Post#24 » by the_process » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Vegetarian can be cheaper than eating meat but true veganism is both difficult and expensive. Besides, cheese and honey are awesome!

Yeah I just meant veganism is expensive. You almost have to be paid like a NBA player just to be able to afford that lifestyle.

I got you. I have several friends that claim to be "vegan" but are actually just strict vegetarians. It's too hard because eggs and dairy products are everywhere. And a lot of organic products are sweetened with honey (bee vomit) instead of sugar. Not saying it's a poor life choice, just very difficult. (Side note, if you eat fish you are not vegi or vegan. You are an omnivore.)

Fish and veggies is called pescatarian actually.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#25 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 pm

sewerfrosh wrote:
pootbrah wrote:stay woke fam

but forreal go vegan everyone. its the best way in every single way. there literally isnt a single valid argument against it.

What the vegans dont realize, is that most plant based food is grown in green houses, roots never touch soil but rather grow in troughs of fertilizers. they are eating nitrates, nothing but nitrate, phosphorous and pottassium. NPK major components of fertilizer.

Um, yeah, that's BS. Over 90 million acres of land is used to grow corn in the US alone. Clearly you've never been to the Midwest.
zronv7
Starter
And1: 1,191

Post#26 » by zronv7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:29 pm

It's working real good for Okafor I see
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#27 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:30 pm

the_process wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:

Make excuses all you want... fish are animals. Animals are meat. If it makes you feel better to not recognize them as meat, I'm OK with that... but they are. And since they are, that would make pescatarians a slightly more pretentious (and possibly healthier) subset of omnivores.
the_process
RealGM

Post#28 » by the_process » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
the_process wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I got you. I have several friends that claim to be "vegan" but are actually just strict vegetarians. It's too hard because eggs and dairy products are everywhere. And a lot of organic products are sweetened with honey (bee vomit) instead of sugar. Not saying it's a poor life choice, just very difficult. (Side note, if you eat fish you are not vegi or vegan. You are an omnivore.)

Make excuses all you want... fish are animals. Animals are meat. If it makes you feel better to not recognize them as meat, I'm OK with that... but they are. And since they are, that would make pescatarians a slightly more pretentious (and possibly healthier) subset of omnivores.

It’s not my excuses, I f*****g love bacon and eggs in the morning. I’m just telling you what the snobby hippies call it.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,949

Post#29 » by CobraCommander » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 pm

sewerfrosh wrote:
pootbrah wrote:stay woke fam

but forreal go vegan everyone. its the best way in every single way. there literally isnt a single valid argument against it.

What the vegans dont realize, is that most plant based food is grown in green houses, roots never touch soil but rather grow in troughs of fertilizers. they are eating nitrates, nothing but nitrate, phosphorous and pottassium. NPK major components of fertilizer.

You mean like most apples, cabbage, corn, squash, oranges, rice, lettuce, spinach, wheat and grapes are grown in green houses....

Well I guess you are woke so you must be right... especially if you meant farmland instead of greenhouses...but you know farms and stuff...lol
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#30 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm

the_process wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
the_process wrote:

It’s not my excuses, I f*****g love bacon and eggs in the morning. I’m just telling you what the snobby hippies call it.

I didn't mean to be snarky either. I was just messing around. I essentially eat vegetarian plus chicken and I don't try and call myself a poultritarian. If I did I would have to feel bad when I cheated and ate bacon... but I suppose I could do turkey bacon.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#31 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:52 pm

plants for the win
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#32 » by colaroaster » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 pm

tom brady to play 4-5 more yrs
jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#33 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:03 pm

I try to avoid red meat and only eat it like once a month. I prefer white meat and fish fillet every now and then.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#34 » by PDXKnight » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:04 pm

The more vegetarians there are the cheaper the meat gets!
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,831

Post#35 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:16 pm

the_process wrote:
BKlutch wrote:I wonder if there is any relationship between this article and the one right before it, "Karl-Anthony Towns In Favor Of NBA Allowing Medicinal Marijuana"?

Yep, bunch of damn hippies playing basketball nowadays :lol:

That's called progress 8-)
rogers49
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#36 » by rogers49 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:21 pm

the_process wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:

Is there some reason fishes are seen by some as a lesser form of life so they can be eaten?
And plants too?
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#37 » by thamadkant » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 pm

I stopped eating red meat and limit pork once a month.... so good for the system. Have done this for 10+ years and I'm leaner and generally fit and healthy according to test results lol.

Fish and Chicken!
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#38 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 pm

is CP3 on a plant based diet?
HOU should demand that he be.
Sloth
Freshman
And1: 36

Post#39 » by Sloth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:44 pm

rogers49 wrote:
the_process wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I got you. I have several friends that claim to be "vegan" but are actually just strict vegetarians. It's too hard because eggs and dairy products are everywhere. And a lot of organic products are sweetened with honey (bee vomit) instead of sugar. Not saying it's a poor life choice, just very difficult. (Side note, if you eat fish you are not vegi or vegan. You are an omnivore.)

Is there some reason fishes are seen by some as a lesser form of life so they can be eaten?
And plants too?

Fish are practically vegetables (Ron Swanson), so if you're pascatarian, just go ahead call yourself a vegetarian.

But that is a great point, and I have raised anytime someone tried to use "morality" to convince me to be a vegan. What makes an animal's life more important than a plant's? or a Chicken's life more important than that of a fish?

Also, there is a school of thought that suggest it was the agricultural revolution that has directly lead to many of the problems we have today. I.E. we stopped hunting and gathering and started farming. In turn we had more food than ever, and more free time, so we started to reproduce, so we needed more food, meaning we needed more land, and the constant expansion of these civilizations, due to the need for space and resources is what lead mankind down the wormhole of perpetual war.

So on a "super-woke level," becoming a vegan perpetuates all these evils. What's up, Kyrie?

A good (fictional) book about it, that is recommended reading for high school kids is "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#40 » by 12footrim » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Unless they are supplementing their diets with milk or soy I don't know how they have enough caloric intake and protein for recovery with all the exertions they have. I work out and cycle between eating 2500 calories and 1500 and that's hard enough. When I'm on a cut I eat some of the morning star fake chicken/sausage/beef stuff isn't bad. I'm sure they probably have better options than that. If they are whatever the true vegs are and don't drink milk or whey protien that would suck to try to build muscle off soy. That stuff is horrible.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion