Re: Kevin Durant Felt LeBron 'Passing The Torch' With His Game 3 Shot

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kevin Durant Felt LeBron 'Passing The Torch' With His Game 3 Shot 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Kevin Durant's shot in Game 3 over LeBron James stands out as a defining moment of his career. The shot helped the Warriors take a 3-0 lead over the Cavaliers but it was also symbolic for Durant with what James has meant to him personally.

“That was the best moment I ever had,” Durant told GQ. “I made the game-winning shot in the finals against my (expletive) idol. Somebody that I really, really, really followed since I was a ninth-grade high schooler. I felt like he was passing the torch to me.”

Via Zach Baron/GQ

31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#2 » by 31to6 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Amazing how impressed with himself for joining a 73-win team that knocked his own squad out of the conference finals this guy is.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,945

Post#3 » by Woodsanity » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Lol disrespectful to the best player on the Warriors: Curry

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,835

Post#4 » by fansinceforever » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:43 pm

LOL. KD trying to speak it into reality. Sorry bud... nobody thinks of you on Lebron's platform...
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#5 » by JonFromVA » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:49 pm

fansinceforever wrote:LOL. KD trying to speak it into reality. Sorry bud... nobody thinks of you on Lebron's platform...

Might as well write your own narrative if someone else won't do it for you - and it might even work. Winning is still the bottom line for most people.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#6 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:06 pm

fansinceforever wrote:LOL. KD trying to speak it into reality. Sorry bud... nobody thinks of you on Lebron's platform...

Lebron stood and watched while Durant hit the game winning three in his face... in the Finals. If anything, he proved he is on or above Lebron's platform. Lebron disappears in the last half of the fourth quarter of games while Durant steps it up a notch. Lebron runs away from the clutch, which is why he teamed up with D Wade in Miami and Kyrie in Cleveland. Durant was brought in to be the closer for the Warriors.

Lebron might be a more complete player, but Durant's ability in the clutch sets him apart from Lebron. That game winning three was the best example of this difference. Lebron didn't even try and put a hand up, he just crumbled and watched Durant take that title from him... in Cleveland to boot.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#7 » by hsb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:15 pm

How can it be passing the torch when LeBron is still the best player in the game?
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
fansinceforever
Analyst

Post#8 » by fansinceforever » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:

Lebron stood and watched while Durant hit the game winning three in his face... in the Finals. If anything, he proved he is on or above Lebron's platform. Lebron disappears in the last half of the fourth quarter of games while Durant steps it up a notch. Lebron runs away from the clutch, which is why he teamed up with D Wade in Miami and Kyrie in Cleveland. Durant was brought in to be the closer for the Warriors.

Lebron might be a more complete player, but Durant's ability in the clutch sets him apart from Lebron. That game winning three was the best example of this difference. Lebron didn't even try and put a hand up, he just crumbled and watched Durant take that title from him... in Cleveland to boot.

Yep. Him and his buddies that make up literally the best team ever assembled. Context matters even if you want so bad for somebody to take the top spot from Lebron.
rage2021
Senior
And1: 523

Post#9 » by rage2021 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 pm

31to6 wrote:Amazing how impressed with himself for joining a 73-win team that knocked his own squad out of the conference finals this guy is.

Gotta agree here..i hate joining the most stacked team in pickup...Durant did it for a ring I almost feel like it doesn't even count because you basically entered a cheat code. this guy is delusional, this is worse then LeBrons moves.. In the end, I blame Adam Silver for allowing this joke of a system.
fansinceforever
Analyst

Post#10 » by fansinceforever » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

Might as well write your own narrative if someone else won't do it for you - and it might even work. Winning is still the bottom line for most people.

That's absolutely true but I don't think people are going to forget that Steph was considered a better player and that Golden State won a championship and 73 games before KD ever donned a warriors jersey.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#11 » by Pennebaker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Keep dreaming, KD.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#12 » by hyberx » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:48 pm

KD is being humble on that description. The torch was not minor league champ's for a long time. Heck, lbj never beat Kobe in the final and he was the guy can be considered last holding the torch. If joining a 73 win team is bad, playing all his career in the minor league which is laughably bad for 20 years is even worse.

Ws kicked LBJ's behind two previous years, only for the divine intervention (aka adam silver) to save some grace for the king, and kyrie was the one hitting the winning shot even in that situation. KD dominated him on both end of the floor. Heck, that's not passing the torch, that is a good old fashion beatdown and ripped whatever left from lbj's hand.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#13 » by King4Day » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:51 pm

rage2021 wrote:
31to6 wrote:Amazing how impressed with himself for joining a 73-win team that knocked his own squad out of the conference finals this guy is.

Gotta agree here..i hate joining the most stacked team in pickup...Durant did it for a ring I almost feel like it doesn't even count because you basically entered a cheat code. this guy is delusional, this is worse then LeBrons moves.. In the end, I blame Adam Silver for allowing this joke of a system.

I feel the same way. When I play pickup ball, I LOVE being on the underdog teams. Winning means that much more. Any time I am on a stacked team and win, it's not as gratifying.
Having a ring would be great, but I feel like you're remembered and appreciated more for the little successes that occur more-so. Taking an unknown franchise like OKC into the success they had will be his crowning moment when his career is over. not his rings. Just my opinion.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#14 » by King4Day » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:54 pm

hyberx wrote:KD is being humble on that description. The torch was not minor league champ's for a long time. Ws kicked LBJ's behind two previous years, only for the divine intervention (aka adam silver) to save some grace for the king, and kyrie was the one hitting the winning shot even in that situation. KD dominated him on both end of the floor. Heck, that's not passing the torch, that is a good old fashion beatdown and ripped whatever left from lbj's hand.

I've seen a few people mention this. LeBron was the best player in that series and Kyrie doesn't have a prayer to take that shot if LeBron didn't do what he did in those finals.

Not sure what you think Silver did either. If it's regarding Green's suspension, everyone in the world agreed it was the right call. Even still, there's no telling if the Warriors suddenly win that game if he's on the court.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#15 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:03 pm

hyberx wrote:KD is being humble on that description. The torch was not minor league champ's for a long time. Heck, lbj never beat Kobe in the final and he was the guy can be considered last holding the torch. If joining a 73 win team is bad, playing all his career in the minor league which is laughably bad for 20 years is even worse.

Ws kicked LBJ's behind two previous years, only for the divine intervention (aka adam silver) to save some grace for the king, and kyrie was the one hitting the winning shot even in that situation. KD dominated him on both end of the floor. Heck, that's not passing the torch, that is a good old fashion beatdown and ripped whatever left from lbj's hand.

wow. got to think you are here on earth to balance out the smart people in the world. :lol:
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,831

Post#16 » by spree2kawhi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:11 pm

Hope you'll finally accept Durant's decision once he's won 4-6 championships. He might not ever get there, but without being a fan I still root for him to prove these low-IQ hater statements wrong.
hyberx
Starter

Post#17 » by hyberx » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:17 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
hyberx wrote:KD is being humble on that description. The torch was not minor league champ's for a long time. Heck, lbj never beat Kobe in the final and he was the guy can be considered last holding the torch. If joining a 73 win team is bad, playing all his career in the minor league which is laughably bad for 20 years is even worse.

wow. got to think you are here on earth to balance out the smart people in the world. :lol:

Sure smartie who use LBJ in his online user name definitely has the right to say this convincingly yeah? LOL :lol:
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#18 » by jstudabaka » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:20 pm

lmao. I wonder if KD realizes that Giannis is basically him on steroids.
hyberx
Starter

Post#19 » by hyberx » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:23 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
hyberx wrote:KD is being humble on that description. The torch was not minor league champ's for a long time. Ws kicked LBJ's behind two previous years, only for the divine intervention (aka adam silver) to save some grace for the king, and kyrie was the one hitting the winning shot even in that situation. KD dominated him on both end of the floor. Heck, that's not passing the torch, that is a good old fashion beatdown and ripped whatever left from lbj's hand.

I've seen a few people mention this. LeBron was the best player in that series and Kyrie doesn't have a prayer to take that shot if LeBron didn't do what he did in those finals.

Not sure what you think Silver did either. If it's regarding Green's suspension, everyone in the world agreed it was the right call. Even still, there's no telling if the Warriors suddenly win that game if he's on the court.

Saying LeBron was the best player in that series, merely looking at the stat line (which KD still best him) is purely silly talk. Cavs is built by LeBron's handpicked player who are overpaid because of LeGM. They had the league's top salary. Just because LBJ built this team to rely on him, does not make him a better player. Ws is built as a team, complimenting each others.

LeBron doesn't have a prayer without without Silver's suspension, we all know that. Saying everyone in the world agreed a butt tap push off over LBJ riding your neck is deserving a suspension shows you are just not looking at things straight. The fact is in those two years before KD, a full team of Cavs never beat a full team of Warriors, either playoff or regular season. Simple as that.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#20 » by Donnyxc » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:28 pm

jstudabaka wrote:lmao. I wonder if KD realizes that Giannis is basically him on steroids.

Nah.

KD is a 50/40/90 player, the most efficient scoring big in the NBA.

Giannis can't shoot 3s... yet. Time will tell.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley

Return to Wiretap Discussion