Russell Westbrook: My Job Is To Make Sure Paul George, Carmelo Anthony Are Comfortable

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Russell Westbrook: My Job Is To Make Sure Paul George, Carmelo Anthony Are Comfortable 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:28 am

Russell Westbrook said it is up to him to make things work with Carmelo Anthony and Paul George.

"That's a part of my job to make sure those guys are [comfortable]," Westbrook said. "Those guys are great players, and my job is to make sure they're comfortable, and in their spots, and comfortable with the things that best benefits their game."

Westbrook, George and Anthony are each accustomed to dominating the ball.

Westbrook has resisted the urge to shoot as frequently as he did last season.

"No, that was last year," Westbrook said. "This is a new year, new team."

Via Royce Young/ESPN

Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Re: Russell Westbrook: My Job Is To Make Sure Paul George, Carmelo Anthony Are Comfortable 

Post#2 » by Pennebaker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 am

I'd disagree with that. Russell's job is to lead the team to wins. The comfort level of George and Melo should be secondary.
bleedingpurple
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Russell Westbrook: My Job Is To Make Sure Paul George, Carmelo Anthony Are Comfortable 

Post#3 » by bleedingpurple » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 pm

as a laker fan, i prefer that george be extremely uncomfortable in okc. shoot away russell!!! coast to coast!!! take em out to the rotary club!!! cow tipping!!! big fun in OKC!!!
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#4 » by alienpick » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Pennebaker wrote:I'd disagree with that. Russell's job is to lead the team to wins. The comfort level of George and Melo should be secondary.

Technically his job as a point gaurd is to make all his teammates comfortable and that they are getting the ball in the best spots for their game. Therefore making them the most effective and efficient that they can be so the team can win games.

So what he said is true, just not only of Carmelo and George.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Pennebaker wrote:I'd disagree with that. Russell's job is to lead the team to wins. The comfort level of George and Melo should be secondary.

Normally yes, but it's tricky cuz PG is gonna be a free agent
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#6 » by Zingod » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Its clearly better job than stealing rebounds from teammates last year.

I think you enjoyed last year more though.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#7 » by nedleeds » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:14 pm

22 shots 5 makes losing to Leonard / Parker less Spurs. He's a chucker. His coach is spineless so he isn't going to stop.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#8 » by popfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:02 pm

It's fairly clear that RealGM is biased towards certain franchises, Golden State being on the top of their short list. Last year when it came to the Westbrook/Durant feud, they sided with Durant and took shots at Westbrook. This article is in line with my observation.

Westbrook stated "part of my job is to..." yet the headline misquotes him by declaring the more arrogant "my job is to..." And like fools, the haters come and sing along. I read nothing unreasonable in Westbrook's full quote. That doesn't mean I like Westbrook. It also doesn't mean that there aren't things to dislike about Westbrook. But if there are things to dislike about Westbrook, this quote doesn't expose those things.

If anything, the misquote reveals one thing -- RealGM's man-love for specific franchises often makes their reporting a witless form of propaganda.

The experiment with Carmelo won't work on the court. Anyone who knows basketball knows it. Attempting to frame Westbrook as a guilty accessory in this inevitable failure merely reflects a desire to frame Durant as blameless in his regrettable betrayal of the Thunder franchise. By regrettable, I mean that Durant didn't need to betray them in the fashion that he chose in order to leave for the Warriors. But he did. As Westbrook continues to pick up the pieces of broken glass, he's being framed as a selfish arrogant player for it. It's just poor form, RealGM. Please stop if you want informed readers to continue reading your articles.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:26 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:

Beyond that, PG and Melo are far better shooters than Westbrook. An easy look from these guys is far better than a tough one from Westbrook, which he can get off at any time. What made Nash great is that he turned Diaw into a threat. If opponents aren't terrified of PG and Melo on the wings than Westbrook isn't doing a great job. (The coaching staff isn't helping.) And if they are more worried about the pass than the shot then the "D" sags off a bit and Russ gets an open look or a lane. It's just basketball.
Dolphin Lips
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Post#10 » by Dolphin Lips » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 am

Melo is a team killer
STOP STEALING MY AVATARS

Pennebaker
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Pennebaker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:38 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:

that is also secondary.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

that is also secondary.

IDK, a lot of times, teams would prioritize retaining marquee FAs over short term winningness. Case in point: Hornets and Batum.

Of course, winning probably makes PG feel more comfortable and if he's more comfortable, it should lead to more winning.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pennebaker
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Pennebaker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:21 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Normally yes, but it's tricky cuz PG is gonna be a free agent

that is also secondary.

IDK, a lot of times, teams would prioritize retaining marquee FAs over short term winningness. Case in point: Hornets and Batum.

Of course, winning probably makes PG feel more comfortable and if he's more comfortable, it should lead to more winning.

You should let management worry about FA status. The players should only focus on winning games.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
that is also secondary.

You should let management worry about FA status. The players should only focus on winning games.

I'd think most players would try to do both. Building good chemistry with and retaining a star teammate would mean winning more games long term. (since Westbrook has signed a long term contract) Not sure he wants to be like LeGM.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion