Jusuf Nurkic Twice Requested Trade From Nuggets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jusuf Nurkic Twice Requested Trade From Nuggets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Jusuf Nurkic requested a trade from the Denver Nuggets in April of 2016 and again in December before he was moved to Portland in February of 2017.

Nikola Jokic had emerged as the Nuggets' starting center during the 15-16 season while Nurkic was rehabilitating his left knee.

The Nuggets attempted to mend the relationship with Nurkic and promised he would open the season as a starter, but he realized there was a catch.

“In the first game, I only played three quarters,” Nurkić said. “I had 23 points and 9 rebounds. I’m playing a good game, we’re winning and I’m not playing in the fourth quarter? From that point, I could kind of see that something was wrong.”

The Nuggets were attempting to make it work with Nurkic and Jokic playing together, but Malone pulled Nurkic from the starting lineup after 25 games. Nurkic and his agent, Aylton Tesch, requested a trade for a second time.

“I believe you can develop guards together. But two centers? No way,” Nurkić said. “I don’t want to make this a big drama like KD. I was never on the same page with the coach and the front office. It just came to the point where I needed to go. My career was on the line.”

Nurkic received criticism from the local media for how he handled the situation.

“People assume I had an attitude problem and people like to make up stories that paint me as a bad guy,” he explained. “Once I asked for a trade, there were even more rumors that I wasn’t happy. But I shouldn’t be happy! No one in that situation should be happy. I put in the hard work to play and someone was holding me down.”

Via Ben Golliver/Sports Illustrated

HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Re: Jusuf Nurkic Twice Requested Trade From Nuggets 

Post#2 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:08 pm

The only guy holding himself down is himself. He's horrible offensively and his attitude problems will manifest at every other stop if I had to guess.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#3 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 pm

the Joker is a far superior player.
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#4 » by caronimo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Didn't Denver give up a 1st rounder in the trade as well? I thought they could have got more.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,442

Post#5 » by Myth » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:The only guy holding himself down is himself. He's horrible offensively and his attitude problems will manifest at every other stop if I had to guess.

He's horrible offensively? He may not have demonstrated his offense very well in Denver, but he has been good offensively for Portland. He has some strong offensive moves when attacking the basket, occasionally demonstrating very good footwork, decent passing, and can hit the occasional long 2. He isn't a superior offensive player, but he is very far from horrible on offense.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,326

Post#6 » by Nuntius » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 pm

He wanted to play more. I cannot fault him for that.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
eddie jerel
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#7 » by eddie jerel » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 pm

He was right in saying 2 C's can't be developed at same time BUT he had 25 games to prove he was the BEST One. The fact Denver went w/One that was a 2nd Rnd Pick shows Nurkic had to go. Why Denver added a 1st Rnd Pick in Trade was strange,but showed He had to go AND quickly
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#8 » by Fresh360Waves » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:17 am

Wasn't even necessary to mention KD, but Nurkic had every right to want a trade.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#9 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:55 am

macNcheese3 wrote:the Joker is a far superior player.

*Has nothing to do with the article.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#10 » by RSP83 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 am

Whatever, I'd take him over McDermott anytime.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#11 » by Jvaughn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 am

RSP83 wrote:Whatever, I'd take him over McDermott anytime.

Still hurts. Smh
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.

Return to Wiretap Discussion