Marc Gasol Was 'Shocked' By Grizzlies' Decision To Fire David Fizdale

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Marc Gasol Was 'Shocked' By Grizzlies' Decision To Fire David Fizdale 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:40 pm

Marc Gasol insisted that he didn't speak out against David Fizdale to management to demand his firing as head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Gasol was benched for the fourth quarter of the Grizzlies' loss on Sunday to the Nets and Fizdale was fired the next day. Gasol and Fizdale had a strained working relationship.

“No,” Gasol said. “Not at all.”

Fizdale was in his second season as head coach of Memphis.

“Nobody likes to see a coaching change during the season,” Gasol said. “I was a little bit shocked by it.”

Gasol said he only spoke with Robert Pera after the decision had been made.

“I found out (about the Fizdale firing) from Robert,” Gasol said. “They called me after the decision was made to let me know the direction they were going.

“Nobody likes to be in the situation we’re in. And we were not finding a way to win collectively. We were breaking apart. Me and David didn’t see everything eye-to-eye all the time. But we both had the same intentions of making the team a collective, really strong unit. We couldn’t find a way to do that.”

Via Ronald Tillery/Memphis Commercial Appeal

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Re: Marc Gasol Was 'Shocked' By Grizzlies' Decision To Fire David Fizdale 

Post#2 » by Donnyxc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Come to the Celtics, I promise we won't be changing our coach anytime soon :nod:
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Donnyxc wrote:Come to the Celtics, I promise we won't be changing our coach anytime soon :nod:

Celtics are holding out for Cousins - I think Ainge will deal that pick he has especially before he lets lottery balls determine if its the lakers selection between 2-6. Its either Gasol or Cousins at deadline depending on who's available.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#4 » by East Bay Sports » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Let' see Gasol hasn't been on speaking terms with Fiz for a year and Fiz recently benched the starters in the 4th quarter a competitive game that they lost.

Sure Marc, we believe you. Totally shocked and blindsided and you weren't in support of this decision at all. Mhmmmmmmmm
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#5 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Fizdale was a fake alpha. all sales, no vision, no tactical common sense.
he's better suited as an asst coach.
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#6 » by NormanDale » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:57 pm

Sam195 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:Come to the Celtics, I promise we won't be changing our coach anytime soon :nod:

Celtics are holding out for Cousins - I think Ainge will deal that pick he has especially before he lets lottery balls determine if its the lakers selection between 2-6. Its either Gasol or Cousins at deadline depending on who's available.

I wish you were right. But Danny could have traded a bag of sh*t for cousins when he was with sacramento (which I wanted him to do) and he wouldn't do it.

I don't know why that would change now.
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#7 » by Furinkazan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:01 pm

mhm yeah :lol:
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Post#8 » by Adam Stern » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:15 am

Dude has been half-assing it most of the season, pouting because the coach was trying to move the team into the modern era.
Then he whines to the media after he got benched but wants people to believe he didn't know what was going to happen.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#9 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:00 am

It would really be shocking if it's really true.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#10 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 am

NormanDale wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

I wish you were right. But Danny could have traded a bag of sh*t for cousins when he was with sacramento (which I wanted him to do) and he wouldn't do it.

I don't know why that would change now.

The only way I could see the Celtics picking up another big contract would be to package that 8.3 million disabled player exception with Semi, Guershon, Aron, Larkin, Bird, and which ever other 2 way contracts we signed to go with some picks. Highly unlikely. I'm hoping we could sign Baynes or someone on coming up on free agency to a 1yr/20M deal and then trade him with some picks to pick up an Anthony Davis/ Marc Gasol

Return to Wiretap Discussion