Dwyane Wade Comfortable With Transition From Star To Role Player

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dwyane Wade Comfortable With Transition From Star To Role Player 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Over the past few seasons, Dwyane Wade has reinvented himself from a high usage star to more of a complementary scorer.

LeBron James has been impressed with how Wade has handled his transition from star to role player. 

“When you’re a star, a real big star and you’ve been a franchise player, guys have a hard time being real with themselves,” James said. “It’s crazy to me that one of my best friends is just real with the whole situation.”

Wade is averaging 10.8 points per game this season, down from 16.2 last season with the Bulls.

“I’m not in my 15th year like LeBron is in his 15th year,” Wade said. “Even though you can arguably say we’re both in the Hall of Fame when our careers are over, I’m not in the same place he’s at, so I’m not going to walk in here like I want to play 40 minutes a night, I want the ball 90 times a game. I don’t want that. My body can’t take that. I’ve been through a lot body-wise. But I know what I can do. I know what I can give you and that’s what I try to focus on. And I’m man enough to say that and be OK with that.”

Wade's arrival bothered some members of the Cavaliers and eventually led to the release of Richard Jefferson.

“I still know what he’s capable of doing. Why wouldn’t you want another guy in the locker room that brings a championship mentality and a guy who can still play?” James said. “So, of course, it bothered me, but (expletive) it. It is what it is.”

“They had a style here. I don’t fit the style from what they played over the last couple years,” Wade said. “But this is a different team.”

Via Jason Lloyd/The Athletic

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Re: Dwyane Wade Comfortable With Transition From Star To Role Player 

Post#2 » by Donnyxc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:46 pm

LeBron the GM wins again!
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#3 » by colaroaster » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:09 pm

dwill said it w/the cavs
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#4 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 pm

CP3 in wade territory soon. body going bye bye
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 pm

He can still play, if they keep him fresh, could be very useful in the playoffs
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:59 am

gordoncatrell wrote:CP3 in wade territory soon. body going bye bye

What are you talking about?

CP3 leads the league in Efficiency Differential at 35.7. The Rockets are scoring 137.3 points per 100 possessions while CP3 is on the floor while they are only giving up 101.6 points per 100 possessions. I know this is difficult for some folks to grasp, but CP3 is an elite basketball player.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Dec 1, 2017 5:19 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:

CP3 leads the league in Efficiency Differential at 35.7. The Rockets are scoring 137.3 points per 100 possessions while CP3 is on the floor while they are only giving up 101.6 points per 100 possessions. I know this is difficult for some folks to grasp, but CP3 is an elite basketball player.

Old & Fat, cant play 70 games/season, cant play star minutes @ full speed (he hides). his Injuries since 2014 have all been Fat Guy (back, hamstrings, lower extremities, etc) injuries (yes, his hand injury as well, bc he reached in a micro second bc he didnt slide his feet and was out of position. Boxers will understand the aging athlete micro-second distance issue).
he understands how to cheat on Offense/Defense bc he has a skyhigh IQ. His energy drains quicker and quicker, and takes longer and longer to recharge. He dies on screens, he doesnt rotate on the 3rd pass, and he doesnt get to the FT line anymore. he's a bigname jump shooter who knows how to NOT be out-of-position within a set.

Careful with Stats, bc these AllStar players know the stat game all to well, they know how to "HIDE" in the stats. he has a SWEET JUMPER and sound mechanics; he's fading further and further away from Top 5 PG in the league, he's not top 5 btw. he's an above average PG, but he's fallen from the Superstar level. His Game is no longer as big as his Name.

Age has bitten him; he has not committed to leaning his body to the game as an older player (LBJ, Kobe, KG, Nash etc), and he obv has no interest attempting to. He's PG version of Paul Pierce. Crafty, Stat friendly, but not elite.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Dec 1, 2017 6:01 am

gordoncatrell wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Old & Fat, cant play 70 games/season, cant play star minutes @ full speed (he hides). his Injuries since 2014 have all been Fat Guy (back, hamstrings, lower extremities, etc) injuries (yes, his hand injury as well, bc he reached in a micro second bc he didnt slide his feet and was out of position. Boxers will understand the aging athlete micro-second distance issue).
he understands how to cheat on Offense/Defense bc he has a skyhigh IQ. His energy drains quicker and quicker, and takes longer and longer to recharge. He dies on screens, he doesnt rotate on the 3rd pass, and he doesnt get to the FT line anymore. he's a bigname jump shooter who knows how to NOT be out-of-position within a set.

Careful with Stats, bc these AllStar players know the stat game all to well, they know how to "HIDE" in the stats. he has a SWEET JUMPER and sound mechanics; he's fading further and further away from Top 5 PG in the league, he's not top 5 btw. he's an above average PG, but he's fallen from the Superstar level. His Game is no longer as big as his Name.

Age has bitten him; he has not committed to leaning his body to the game as an older player (LBJ, Kobe, KG, Nash etc), and he obv has no interest attempting to. He's PG version of Paul Pierce. Crafty, Stat friendly, but not elite.

Umm, CP3 is averaging 10+ assists in 28 minutes per game and his assist to turnover ratio is over 8. Plus the most important stat... the Rockets are 6-0 since he came back. It's real easy for people to dismiss stats as pointless. But if what he's doing was easy everybody would be doing it. It's not just stats... he's really good.

But seriously, it's like trying to explain global warming. If you don't want to believe it than you'll find ways to support you views. Average annual global temperature is just a stat. It's cold in Detroit... global warming must not be real.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Dec 1, 2017 6:06 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:What are you talking about?

Umm, CP3 is averaging 10+ assists in 28 minutes per game and his assist to turnover ratio is over 8. Plus the most important stat... the Rockets are 6-0 since he came back. It's real easy for people to dismiss stats as pointless. But if what he's doing was easy everybody would be doing it. It's not just stats... he's really good.

But seriously, it's like trying to explain global warming. If you don't want to believe it than you'll find ways to support you views. Average annual global temperature is just a stat. It's cold in Detroit... global warming must not be real.

i guess we're having a SameScreen/2-different-movies argument.
above average/borderline AllStar. NOT superstar. Are you saying based on 10apg/28min he's a Top5PG? im saying he's no longer the 2011 CP3 superstar. he's in decline, sharply.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Dec 1, 2017 9:53 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:

i guess we're having a SameScreen/2-different-movies argument.
above average/borderline AllStar. NOT superstar. Are you saying based on 10apg/28min he's a Top5PG? im saying he's no longer the 2011 CP3 superstar. he's in decline, sharply.

I'm saying that he is running the offense like the best PG in the league. And he's doing it on a new team in a new system.... so he's still figuring it out. That doesn't make him the best PG; it's a limited sample size and too subjective to what you like in a PG. But I don't see a sample of significant decline anywhere. If you can show me a PG that is better at running a team and getting his teamates better looks let me know. And if you say Russ I will fall over laughing.

BTW, I am in no way a CP3 fan or a Rockets fan. I am a basketball fan and this guy's been doing it at a high level for a long time. It's amazing how underrated he still is.

Return to Wiretap Discussion