Issues Between David Fizdale, Grizzlies Extended Beyond Current Season

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Issues Between David Fizdale, Grizzlies Extended Beyond Current Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Several players on the Memphis Grizzlies reportedly didn't like David Fizdale as a coach as much as many outsiders assumed.

"The Grizzlies are like a Hollywood set," a person familiar with the team's dynamics told Bleacher Report. "A lot of facade and nothing behind it."

Fizdale pushed his longstanding disharmony with Marc Gasol into the public with his fourth quarter benching on Sunday. Fizdale was fired on Monday.

"What it came down to was, he wanted to win the battle: me or Marc Gasol?" the person told B/R. "Well, they let him know who."

The Grizzlies have an ownership situation that needs to be resolved and there has been frequent changes of their head coaches with first Lionel Hollins then Dave Joerger and now Fizdale.

"Gasol had been chafing for a long time," a person familiar with the player's thinking told B/R. "He had two pretty good coaches in Dave and Lionel, and he felt this guy was a little bit of a [phony]."

The issues with Fizdale reportedly extended beyond Gasol.

"It got really nasty," the person familiar with the team dynamics said. "It wasn't this week, and it wasn't just Gasol. This has been going on overlapping from last year, too."

Via Ken Berger/Bleacher Report

gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Re: Issues Between David Fizdale, Grizzlies Extended Beyond Current Season 

Post#2 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Toldja.

FIZDALE = big hat, no cattle.

Let this mark the END Of the Salesman Routine of Coaching. eh em LAC!
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#3 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:42 pm

The hype around Fiz does seem overrated - besides the “Take that for data!” speech he just doesn’t strike me as someone who players would love.

I know other coaches sing high praise for him though.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#4 » by NormanDale » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:03 pm

Are these the "answers" LeBron and Wade were looking for?
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#5 » by popfan » Fri Dec 1, 2017 8:28 pm

Regardless of the validity of this story, it was clearly fed to the media by Griz management. Like the firing of Fizdale, this story was well timed. I hate quoting movies but in the The Godfather it was said "finance is a gun...politics is knowing when to pull the trigger".

Return to Wiretap Discussion