Kevin Garnett Still Holds Grudge Against Glen Taylor

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kevin Garnett Still Holds Grudge Against Glen Taylor 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Even though Kevin Garnett finished his career with the Minnesota Timberwolves, he and Glen Taylor parted on bad terms.

Garnett had interest in joining the Wolves in an ownership capacity but that deal fell through. Garnett feels promises were broken by Taylor.

“I don’t want to be partners with Glen [Taylor], and I wouldn’t want to be partners with Glen in Minnesota,” Garnett told Awful Announcing recently. “I would love to be part of a group that buys him out and kind of removes him and go forward.”

Garnett is currently consulting with a few teams and also featuring on TNT.

"You know what? I’m more with individuals versus the teams," said Garnett to Vice Sports. "I’ve gotta admit that. I’ve gotta say that Embiid, Karl-Anthony Towns, Jokic, Porzingis, Damian Lillard, Curry, Durant, I’m enjoying the young bucks, watching young Ingram get better and watching little L. Ball figure it out, you know what I’m saying? I’m checking it all out. I like individuals, not so much on the organizations. Obviously I’m gonna be with Minnesota and the players. Not so much upstairs. I don’t really deal with Minnesota’s upstairs. They suck. But Boston, all day. You know I’m a C ‘till I die. I always root for Brooklyn. But other than that I don’t really get into too many of the upstairs. I’m more watching the guys and watching their progression.

"But I love the competition. I love how the big is coming back. For a while the point guard position had it dominated for like four, five years. Now we have some promising bigs come into the game, starting to change the game a little bit."

Via Michael Pina/Vice Sports

macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: Kevin Garnett Still Holds Grudge Against Glen Taylor 

Post#2 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:47 pm

keep holding the grudge KG
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#3 » by CelticsWin5 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:04 pm

That's my boy. Call em out KG. Wolves are an incompetent org
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#4 » by gold0259 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:29 am

How in the heck do you hold a grudge against a guy that gave you over 250million dollars and traded you to a championship team?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,607

Post#5 » by shrink » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:33 am

Kevin Garnett is one of my favorite players of all time, and his work ethic has been inspirational to me. I need to remind myself not to side with him automatically, because in this case he, really needs to let it go.

Just because Garnett was a great player, that does not guarantee the kid that struggled to finish high school would be a good owner. For example, the rumors here in Minnesota are that when he tried to bid for the Wolves, he said that the Wolves increased in value while he was on the team, so he should get to count that increase as part of his offer. The problem here is that all NBA teams grew in value over this time. Worse, if MIN thought the NBA's penalty for having an under-the-table contract to Joe Smith was severe, imagine the penalty they would likely give a team that gave out discount ownership!

Look I love Kevin Garnett. My first post at RealGM years ago was an homage to the guy. But he needs to get over himself here.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#6 » by moofs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:04 am

gold0259 wrote:How in the heck do you hold a grudge against a guy that gave you over 250million dollars and traded you to a championship team?

By not being a particularly bright bulb.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,085
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#7 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:09 am

gold0259 wrote:How in the heck do you hold a grudge against a guy that gave you over 250million dollars and traded you to a championship team?

Because it wasn't a charity. Whatever Taylor paid Garnett, it was because he expected to make that back, and a lot more. It's an investment.

Also, every team in the league would have been lining up to pay him, it's not like Glen Taylor was paying some guy that no one would shell out money for.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#8 » by SlowPaced » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:18 am

Let's not act like Glen Taylor gave him 250 million out of charity. KG would've gotten that money anywhere.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#9 » by johanliebert » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:26 pm

He can’t buy him out. Who is he lying to? Now if he said he and a group of investors it would be believable. It’s like when the Russian oligarchs used jayz as a front man to get rid of a few buildings in Barclays then later pulled the rug from under his feet.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:28 pm

johanliebert wrote:He can’t buy him out. Who is he lying to? Now if he said he and a group of investors it would be believable. It’s like when the Russian oligarchs used jayz as a front man to get rid of a few buildings in Barclays then later pulled the rug from under his feet.

Uh, yeah... that's what he said.
RealGM Wiretap wrote:“I would love to be part of a group that buys him out..."
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:55 pm

shrink wrote:Kevin Garnett is one of my favorite players of all time, and his work ethic has been inspirational to me. I need to remind myself not to side with him automatically, because in this case he, really needs to let it go.

Just because Garnett was a great player, that does not guarantee the kid that struggled to finish high school would be a good owner. For example, the rumors here in Minnesota are that when he tried to bid for the Wolves, he said that the Wolves increased in value while he was on the team, so he should get to count that increase as part of his offer. The problem here is that all NBA teams grew in value over this time. Worse, if MIN thought the NBA's penalty for having an under-the-table contract to Joe Smith was severe, imagine the penalty they would likely give a team that gave out discount ownership!

Look I love Kevin Garnett. My first post at RealGM years ago was an homage to the guy. But he needs to get over himself here.

Being that Garnett was one of the greatest HS prospects in NBA history, it would be hard to prove that his troubles in HS had anything to do with aptitude. Grades were only relevant because he had to stay eligible. Maybe he was in the gym instead of studying or completing homework. Whatever the case, he clearly worked hard and seems to have done OK for himself. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg all dropped out of college but nobody blames intelligence. School no longer mattered once success was assured.
shrink
RealGM

Post#12 » by shrink » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
shrink wrote:Kevin Garnett is one of my favorite players of all time, and his work ethic has been inspirational to me. I need to remind myself not to side with him automatically, because in this case he, really needs to let it go.

Being that Garnett was one of the greatest HS prospects in NBA history, it would be hard to prove that his troubles in HS had anything to do with aptitude. Grades were only relevant because he had to stay eligible. Maybe he was in the gym instead of studying or completing homework. Whatever the case, he clearly worked hard and seems to have done OK for himself. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg all dropped out of college but nobody blames intelligence. School no longer mattered once success was assured.

I'm sure Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Mark Zuckerberg were not concerned with scoring high enough on the SAT to be allowed to enter college.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#13 » by shrink » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:00 pm

SlowPaced wrote:

Let's not act like Glen Taylor gave him 250 million out of charity. KG would've gotten that money anywhere.

Anywhere? For the record, Taylor paid Garnett the highest contract ever at the time it was signed. The contract was so big, that it is attributed to causing the lockout, and then the quantum shift in the CBA to create max deals.

I'm not saying Taylor didn't get his money's worth, and that many of the current max deals for great players don't reward the owner handsomely. The CBA does not allow LeBron to get paid what he is worth. However, I doubt teams were lining up to sign the young Garnett to the highest contract ever. It was a risk, an investment that paid off for both of them.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:22 pm

shrink wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

I'm sure Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Mark Zuckerberg were not concerned with scoring high enough on the SAT to be allowed to enter college.

I coasted through college on a scholarship and I didn't even take my SAT's. (No, I didn't go to Harvard.)
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Post#15 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:43 am

My disdain grew for Garnett as his career in Boston progressed, but it's cool to see him throw love at all these young guys. Too many retired players do the opposite and just sound bitter.

Return to Wiretap Discussion