Russell Westbrook: Sales Pitch To Paul George Will Come After Winning Title

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Russell Westbrook: Sales Pitch To Paul George Will Come After Winning Title 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 3, 2018 7:54 pm

Russell Westbrook was asked what his sales pitch will be when Paul George becomes a free agent this offseason.

"Sales pitch gonna be when we win a championship. Beat that pitch," said Westbrook.

George will be a free agent in 2018 and has been linked to the Lakers, who the Thunder are playing on Wednesday.

Westbrook could have become a free agent in 2018 but he's already signed a contract extension.

Via Shahan Ahmed/NBC LA

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Russell Westbrook: Sales Pitch To Paul George Will Come After Winning Title 

Post#2 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jan 3, 2018 8:32 pm

There's no way RW and PG can get it done on their own, they'll have to depend on Melo, that won't be easy
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#3 » by Hoopzilla » Wed Jan 3, 2018 8:40 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:There's no way RW and PG can get it done on their own, they'll have to depend on Melo, that won't be easy

Depending on Melo is a fatal flaw. History is proof of that. Unless you are trying to drive your franchise into the ground, then he's your man.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#4 » by alienpick » Wed Jan 3, 2018 9:26 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:There's no way RW and PG can get it done on their own, they'll have to depend on Melo, that won't be easy

Depending on Melo is a fatal flaw. History is proof of that. Unless you are trying to drive your franchise into the ground, then he's your man.

Did Melo rape your mom or something? Man, the hate....

PG is statistically the worst clutch player, they need Melo who is their most clutch shooter.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#5 » by Donnyxc » Wed Jan 3, 2018 10:06 pm

alienpick wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:

PG is statistically the worst clutch player, they need Melo who is their most clutch shooter.

There's still time for them to figure it out. A lot of star-studded teams don't gel right away in their first year together.

What gets me with PG is the Ainge haters who bashed him for BOS not making a trade for PG or Butler.
They now have a younger PG and better shooter in Tatum... and a younger Butler in Jaylen Brown.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#6 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 11:33 pm

I think the Thunder lost any chance of winning a title this year when they traded for Carmelo.
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#7 » by Rek » Thu Jan 4, 2018 12:48 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:I think the Thunder lost any chance of winning a title this year when they traded for Carmelo.

Cannot disagree with this sentiment..
Hoopzilla
Starter

Post#8 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Jan 4, 2018 1:28 am

In other words, Russ can't think of one thing to say to keep him there, save a miracle. :lol:
Hoopzilla
Starter

Post#9 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Jan 4, 2018 1:36 am

alienpick wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:

Really? PG was the best player on winning teams in Indiana and Melo couldn't make the playoffs in New York. I don't really care what the stats say, PG produced. People only try to use stats when it is obviously different in the real world. Not the mention the defensive side, where Melo offers nothing and PG really pulls ahead, both statistically and in the real world.

Melo might be statistically better because his teams were usually out of the game come clutch time. There are no clutch shots when your team is consistently down 20 points at the end of games. :lol:
alienpick
Starter

Post#10 » by alienpick » Thu Jan 4, 2018 1:53 am

Hoopzilla wrote:
alienpick wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:

Really? PG was the best player on winning teams in Indiana and Melo couldn't make the playoffs in New York. I don't really care what the stats say, PG produced. People only try to use stats when it is obviously different in the real world. Not the mention the defensive side, where Melo offers nothing and PG really pulls ahead, both statistically and in the real world.

Melo might be statistically better because his teams were usually out of the game come clutch time. There are no clutch shots when your team is consistently down 20 points at the end of games. :lol:

PG produces, but not when he is needed to hit a game winner. I'd rather have a guy who can score and score in the clutch.

You sound like a VERY salty Knicks fan. Melo had no helpon the Knicks, it's no wonder you lost so much. Not really all on Melo. Heck, even LeBron needs a superteam to win. What did you expect?
Hoopzilla
Starter

Post#11 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Jan 4, 2018 3:45 pm

alienpick wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:
alienpick wrote:

PG produces, but not when he is needed to hit a game winner. I'd rather have a guy who can score and score in the clutch.

You sound like a VERY salty Knicks fan. Melo had no helpon the Knicks, it's no wonder you lost so much. Not really all on Melo. Heck, even LeBron needs a superteam to win. What did you expect?

Westbrook will take more of those shots than Melo, so I would rather have a good two way player backing up the clutch shooter, and PG can competently shoot on a kick out whether you want to admit it or not. Since Melo himself now admits the team is better when he gets 6 shots a night, I don't see him getting a tonne of looks in the clutch, unless it is an emergency.

I am not a Knicks fan, I am a Raptors fan. It has been fun to watch Melo drive that franchise into the ground while giving my team an easy 3-4 wins a year.

Melo did have talent, but would chase them out of town if they wanted a piece of the spotlight, cuz Melo doesn't share. You also have to consider that nobody was interested in playing with him. Not one free agent of worth had an interest in joining that dumpster fire as long as Melo was leading that team. Melo takes the blame for that, you don't give him a pass. He refused to come to terms with the fact that he is a role player until this season, and it has been really hard for him. It has been to watch this arrogant douche get humbled.

Lebron never needed a Super Team to win, his Cavs were first in the conference when he ran to Miami. Lebron only proved he can't deal with adversity and takes the easiest way to win. That doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to be a wuss like him. That is why Kyrie left, he didn't want to be a cherry picker like Lebron. :lol:
alienpick
Starter

Post#12 » by alienpick » Thu Jan 4, 2018 6:31 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:
alienpick wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:

Westbrook will take more of those shots than Melo, so I would rather have a good two way player backing up the clutch shooter, and PG can competently shoot on a kick out whether you want to admit it or not. Since Melo himself now admits the team is better when he gets 6 shots a night, I don't see him getting a tonne of looks in the clutch, unless it is an emergency.

I am not a Knicks fan, I am a Raptors fan. It has been fun to watch Melo drive that franchise into the ground while giving my team an easy 3-4 wins a year.

Melo did have talent, but would chase them out of town if they wanted a piece of the spotlight, cuz Melo doesn't share. You also have to consider that nobody was interested in playing with him. Not one free agent of worth had an interest in joining that dumpster fire as long as Melo was leading that team. Melo takes the blame for that, you don't give him a pass. He refused to come to terms with the fact that he is a role player until this season, and it has been really hard for him. It has been to watch this arrogant douche get humbled.

Lebron never needed a Super Team to win, his Cavs were first in the conference when he ran to Miami. Lebron only proved he can't deal with adversity and takes the easiest way to win. That doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to be a wuss like him. That is why Kyrie left, he didn't want to be a cherry picker like Lebron. :lol:

Raptors fan too!

I don't blame Melo for all of New Yorks troubles though. The front office chose to gut their team to trade for Melo, Melo alone couldn't make that choice. They also blew it up to make room for LeBron. Signed an injury prone Amare, on a rediculous contract, to entice LeBron. Screwed themselves for years on bad contracts and stupid GM moves. Then they get in an old Phil Jackson who made things worse. His only good move being drafting Porzingus, who he nearly traded over hurt feelings. (Also remember that Phil Jackson extended Melo, said he was the guy they wanted to build around, and gave him a NTC. If Melo was truely a team destroyer than surely the "greatest basketball mind ever" should have seen that an not extended Melo, especially on such a player friendly contract.)

Melo may have been shellfish and wanted to be the man, but is hardly solely to blame for the Knicks issues. The Knicks management has screwed the Knicks time and time again. They even screw them now by spinning this narrative that it was all Melo, and now things will be great again. When it is them that needs to go.

LeBron's old CLE teams definitely crushed it in the regular season but he couldn't win in the playoffs. They only once made the finals and, if memory serves, were swept by the Spurs. His Finals streak started once he started superteamin'. LeBron is all around better than Melo too.
Hoopzilla
Starter

Post#13 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Jan 4, 2018 7:14 pm

alienpick wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:
alienpick wrote:

Raptors fan too!

I don't blame Melo for all of New Yorks troubles though. The front office chose to gut their team to trade for Melo, Melo alone couldn't make that choice. They also blew it up to make room for LeBron. Signed an injury prone Amare, on a rediculous contract, to entice LeBron. Screwed themselves for years on bad contracts and stupid GM moves. Then they get in an old Phil Jackson who made things worse. His only good move being drafting Porzingus, who he nearly traded over hurt feelings. (Also remember that Phil Jackson extended Melo, said he was the guy they wanted to build around, and gave him a NTC. If Melo was truely a team destroyer than surely the "greatest basketball mind ever" should have seen that an not extended Melo, especially on such a player friendly contract.)

Melo may have been shellfish and wanted to be the man, but is hardly solely to blame for the Knicks issues. The Knicks management has screwed the Knicks time and time again. They even screw them now by spinning this narrative that it was all Melo, and now things will be great again. When it is them that needs to go.

LeBron's old CLE teams definitely crushed it in the regular season but he couldn't win in the playoffs. They only once made the finals and, if memory serves, were swept by the Spurs. His Finals streak started once he started superteamin'. LeBron is all around better than Melo too.

They signed Amare, because nobody else wanted to play with Melo, an injured Amare was the best they could get to agree to play beside Melo. When the top players have no interest in joining your team, you have to take the best options available.

Phil Jackson tried to give Melo a shot at a winner and the best he could find to agree to play with Melo was Noah and D Rose.

Knicks management did the best they could with the only players willing to join that mess. You blame Melo for not attracting players to play with him, you don't blame the management team for taking the only options they had to try and compete. It is not like the Knicks turned down all stars and took those guys, they had no other choices and took the best they had available. How can you not see that Melo was the problem? Players didn't want to go watch Melo give 20 jab steps and take a jumper at the end of the shot clock while they stood by and watched. Melo's selfishness and arrogance was the entire problem in New York. Now that he is in OKC, he had no choice but to admit he is nothing but a role player now. He has been a role player for years, he just refused to admit it and drove the Knicks into the ground. He is an iso scorer and nothing but. He literally gives you nothing else. He is a one dimensional space wasting, pace killing troglodyte.

Need proof that Melo was the problem? They basically have the same team from last season, minus D Rose and Melo. They replaced them with Tim Hardaway Jr. and are now one game out of the 8th spot. They are a young team on the rise, it will take some time to build a winner, but they look to be much further down that road than they were at this time last year, when they had Melo. Are you trying to say that Hardaway is that good? It was literally addition by subtraction, they got better by getting rid of Melo.

Lebron's old Cavs teams were learning how to win, it doesn't happen overnight. It took Jordan years before he beat the Pistons and was ready to win titles. Lebron tried to cheat the process and ran to Miami. Just because they got swept by San Antonio, does not mean they couldn't have retooled and figured out the formula to beat them. But he never gave them the chance, he just ran and tried to unfairly stack a team in Miami, where he lost to the Spurs again in 2014 this time in historic fashion. Wanna guess what he did when he got blown off the court by the Spurs again? Oh, that's right, he ran back to the Cavs to try and unfairly stack a team again... Can you not see the pattern of him running from adversity and refusing the try and overcome anything? :lol:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:13 pm

Hoopzilla wrote: He refused to come to terms with the fact that he is a role player until this season, and it has been really hard for him. It has been [blank?] to watch this arrogant douche get humbled.

Fill in the blank? lol

The game has changed, he would have flourished in the 90s, like an AI, Franchise, Starbury, Mobley etc.

Nowdays, he's more suitable to be a Williamson, Powe or Al Harrington type.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#15 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jan 4, 2018 11:08 pm

alienpick wrote:Also remember that Phil Jackson extended Melo, said he was the guy they wanted to build around, and gave him a NTC. If Melo was truely a team destroyer than surely the "greatest basketball mind ever" should have seen that an not extended Melo, especially on such a player friendly contract.

It'd be really crazy if the first thing Phil did as a GM was to lose Melo for nothing. At least they got Kanter, McDermott and a 2nd rounder back.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion