Paul George Won't Leave Thunder If They're In 'Upward Trend'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Paul George Won't Leave Thunder If They're In 'Upward Trend' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:32 pm

Paul George said he doesn't need the Thunder to win a championship as a selling point when he becomes a free agent, but he does want to see them trending in the right direction.

"I've got a lot to think about," George said. "This summer will be huge. I've got a lot to think about. If we're trending, if we're going in the right direction, if I feel there is something that we're building, and there's a foundation -- it would be kind of clueless, just stupid on my behalf to up and leave.

"I'm very conscious that we're only together for a year so far, and we continue to go in an upward trend. It's best to stick with what we have and work on building. So, I wouldn't say it's championship or bust, or championship and I'm out. It's all about building. If I like where we're building or the level that we're going at, it would be stupid to walk away from that."

George has been tied to the Lakers for several years.

Via ESPN

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Paul George Won't Leave Thunder If They're In 'Upward Trend' 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:59 pm

I bet he resigns on a 1+1 deal with opt out like Durant so both he and melo (who won't opt out of his 28m for 18-19) can be ufas at the same time and if both choose to leave okc he gets less heat on his own. It also gives lakers more flexibility to move Luol Deng who still has 2 years left on his contract to create enough cap room to sign say 2-3 max free agents in addition to a core of Ball, Kuzma and Ingram who would all still be on rookie contracts.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,559

Post#3 » by Harry Garris » Thu Jan 4, 2018 3:33 pm

PG having second thoughts about joining the Lakers after he saw firsthand how terrible they are last night?
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#4 » by MaxRider » Thu Jan 4, 2018 3:55 pm

what if Lakers pay him the max and Thunder won't?
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#5 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:02 pm

Actions speak louder than words. As of today, he has not signed anything on paper.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
xchange55
Senior
And1: 489

Post#6 » by xchange55 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:54 pm

Seems like a lot of the LAL rumors died down quite a bit for both PG13 and LBJ after we see Lonzo might just be a marginal player.
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 276

Post#7 » by HurricaneDij25 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 6:02 pm

Thunder won't be able to afford him. If you're OKC you have to ask if he's worth his big price tag especially after the way Terrence Ferguson played last night.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#8 » by alienpick » Thu Jan 4, 2018 6:19 pm

Sam195 wrote:I bet he resigns on a 1+1 deal with opt out like Durant so both he and melo (who won't opt out of his 28m for 18-19) can be ufas at the same time and if both choose to leave okc he gets less heat on his own. It also gives lakers more flexibility to move Luol Deng who still has 2 years left on his contract to create enough cap room to sign say 2-3 max free agents in addition to a core of Ball, Kuzma and Ingram who would all still be on rookie contracts.

I could see this. Plus if he wants to stay then the Thunder can give him the max and give Melo a smaller offer or not resign him at all.

The only thing would be if another desirable team steps up and offers him the max this summer.
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#9 » by spicy6 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 7:20 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:Thunder won't be able to afford him. If you're OKC you have to ask if he's worth his big price tag especially after the way Terrence Ferguson played last night.

Theyll be able to re sign him they have his bird rights. They have to get rid of other contracts they have in singler, and abrines but theyre still able to go over the luxury tax and then some to retain him especially if they can get melo to restructure his deal.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#10 » by basketballRob » Thu Jan 4, 2018 7:56 pm

He may go to Orlando. Nice weather, no state tax, and his old coach.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#11 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:32 pm

Just play the game, PG.
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#12 » by caronimo » Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:43 pm

Give the man a bar graph
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#13 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:03 pm

basketballRob wrote:He may go to Orlando. Nice weather, no state tax, and his old coach.

Keep dreaming.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#14 » by DCRYsing89 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:10 pm

MaxRider wrote:what if Lakers pay him the max and Thunder won't?

Thunder probaboy gonna give him 20mil,
Lakers 25-35mil.
So i cant see a rich man giving up a chance at a NBA legacy with the thunder just for an extra 15mil.
The hometown ideal has more pull, but if thunder second round or higher in playoffs he wont leave.
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#15 » by cheese318 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:29 pm

Dude that $10-$15mm per season. You are crazy to think PG13 would turn down an extra $50mm+ total plus playing in his home time plus all the marketing he could receive being in LA. Do not give me that OKC is the same thing as LA in 2018 because it’s not and never will be when it comes to the $$$. PG13 is a goner without a finals appearance

DCRYsing89 wrote:

Lakers 25-35mil.
So i cant see a rich man giving up a chance at a NBA legacy with the thunder just for an extra 15mil.
The hometown ideal has more pull, but if thunder second round or higher in playoffs he wont leave.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#16 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jan 4, 2018 11:24 pm

Again, almost totally dependent on how Melo performs.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#17 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Jan 5, 2018 12:36 am

Exactly why. PG is there for 2 great players. Melo is getting progressively worse. And worserrrr. Next year, melo is done. No help whatsoever to OKC and title hopes.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Rollie
Junior
And1: 34

Post#18 » by Rollie » Fri Jan 5, 2018 2:39 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Exactly why. PG is there for 2 great players. Melo is getting progressively worse. And worserrrr. Next year, melo is done. No help whatsoever to OKC and title hopes.

What are you talking about? Melo is putting up solid numbers now that he understands his role in the system.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#19 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 5, 2018 3:34 am

cheese318 wrote:Dude that $10-$15mm per season. You are crazy to think PG13 would turn down an extra $50mm+ total plus playing in his home time plus all the marketing he could receive being in LA. Do not give me that OKC is the same thing as LA in 2018 because it’s not and never will be when it comes to the $$$. PG13 is a goner without a finals appearance

DCRYsing89 wrote:

Lakers 25-35mil.

Maybe if PG goes to LA he can get a deal with Nike that’s worth half of what russ got while playing in okc.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#20 » by nedleeds » Fri Jan 5, 2018 5:18 am

Stfu and play, self centered entitled millennial clowns. Can anyone imagine Ewing openly opining about his next team or the help he's got around him?
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.

Return to Wiretap Discussion