Mike Conley: Everything Has Flipped After Beginning Season With So Much Optimism

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mike Conley: Everything Has Flipped After Beginning Season With So Much Optimism 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 5, 2018 8:52 pm

Mike Conley Jr. was asked for his opinion on the state of the Memphis Grizzlies now that they've struggled during the 17-18 season and fired David Fizdale.

"It’s different, man," said Conley. "At the beginning of the season we had so much optimism with how it started. Now, everything has been flipped. It’s been a 180 [-degree turn] with the way we’ve been playing, the coaching changes and things like that. It’s different, but we have to keep plugging away."

Conley was also asked how he took the firing of Fizdale.

"It was tough, man. He did a lot for each individual guy. He did a lot for me and my game. There is nothing new that has not been already said about him. But he’s a great guy, and we just wish him the best."

Marc Gasol was widely blamed for Fizdale's firing and Conley was asked if he spoke with his longtime Memphis teammate about it.

"We talked. I think Marc’s intentions are solely about the team. He didn’t want any of this to happen. I didn’t think so. It was also frustrating for all of us. It was tough for Marc, myself and probably the older guys on the team who have built this foundation to see the state that we are in."

Via Marc J. Spears/The Undefeated

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Mike Conley: Everything Has Flipped After Beginning Season With So Much Optimism 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:20 am

Grizzlies should hire Larry Brown - he could resurrect the Grizzlies like he did the Pistons long ago. You can't beat the warriors with analytics you need good old basketball IQ. Too bad they gave up on grit and grind style firing Lionel Hollins and then letting Zbo and Tony Allen walk. And overpaying that snowflake Chandler Parsons.
mrsaturn
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Mike Conley: Everything Has Flipped After Beginning Season With So Much Optimism 

Post#3 » by mrsaturn » Sat Jan 6, 2018 4:45 am

The Grizzlies need Mike Conley to play. He has missed 26 of 38 games this season. They do not have depth at his position. The entire season has hinged on him, and his mystery injuries - injuries that he seemed to actually develop DURING the offseason. There's no excuse to come into the new season MORE injured than at the end of the previous one. When he did not undergo ANY medical procedures. You would never see something like this happen with true superstars like Lebron and Steph. Conley has plunged this franchise into chaos, by not being healthy and ready for the season.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#4 » by macNcheese3 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 4:51 am

Sam195 wrote:Grizzlies should hire Larry Brown - he could resurrect the Grizzlies like he did the Pistons long ago. You can't beat the warriors with analytics you need good old basketball IQ. Too bad they gave up on grit and grind style firing Lionel Hollins and then letting Zbo and Tony Allen walk. And overpaying that snowflake Chandler Parsons.

He’s just to old for the grind of an NBA season. The best coach the Grizz ever bad was Hubie Brown.
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#5 » by caronimo » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:05 pm

There won't be any championship with the trio of Conley, Gasol and Parsons making the most money
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#6 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:16 pm

Should have listened when the celtics came knocking. Possibly could have got the safe return of their 2019 FRP and a young stud or 2
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:21 pm

Sam195 wrote:Grizzlies should hire Larry Brown - he could resurrect the Grizzlies like he did the Pistons long ago. You can't beat the warriors with analytics you need good old basketball IQ. Too bad they gave up on grit and grind style firing Lionel Hollins and then letting Zbo and Tony Allen walk. And overpaying that snowflake Chandler Parsons.

Ya, strange they let ZBo and TA walk and didn't get much to replace them. Parsons apparently isn't healthy. The optimism was unfounded.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Kurosawa0
Analyst
And1: 3,276

Post#8 » by Kurosawa0 » Sun Jan 7, 2018 4:37 am

Wonder if there's any trade market for Conley with that contract. I thought about to Utah for Burks and Rubio. Maybe Denver with Faried and Chandler?
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,784

Post#9 » by flintsky21 » Sun Jan 7, 2018 7:46 am

Conley for Tony Parker (expiring) and Danny Green? But there's probably no way Pop is trading away Parker, or even Green at this point.
dantheman74
Senior
And1: 299

Post#10 » by dantheman74 » Sun Jan 7, 2018 10:46 am

Parsons got that stay the night GM money

Return to Wiretap Discussion