Kevin Durant Feels He'll Still Be Able To Play In NBA At 40

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kevin Durant Feels He'll Still Be Able To Play In NBA At 40 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Kevin Durant believes he can continue his playing career until he's 40 years old.

"Yeah, I feel like I can. I feel like I can. It’s just a matter of me – is my mind ready to play for that long? Because that’s 80 percent of the battle, in my opinion," said Durant.

Durant was extremely healthy during his first seven seasons and hasn't had a recurrence of his foot issues from the 14-15 season.

Durant was asked if playing is currently a grind.

"Is it a grind? No, I mean I’m having fun. I’m enjoying it. I’m still in my 20s, and I’m about to hit the golden year – 30 (laughs). I can’t wait for that. So I’m just excited where I am right now. But I know how exhausting it is mentally to be up every single day for a game, especially when you’re trying to be great at every part of the game. That’s mentally taxing. I’ve got nothing but love and respect dudes who play that long, so we’ll see. I feel like I’m doing something good in the world when I play basketball, so if I keep feeling that way then hopefully I (keep playing)."

Durant became the second youngest player in NBA history to score 20,000 points and was asked if he might be able to break Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's scoring record.

"I mean it would be cool to do that, but I’m not concerned about that, man. If I start focusing on that, it’s going to take my focus on what I really want to do. But for me as a player, though, like even if (that sort of mark) is in the back of my mind I know how easy it is to get off what I want to do. I know myself. That’s what I’m saying."

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Re: Kevin Durant Feels He'll Still Be Able To Play In NBA At 40 

Post#2 » by bucksbrewers3 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:48 pm

This is a question best answered at age 35-36 then now Durant.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#3 » by 12footrim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:This is a question best answered at age 35-36 then now Durant.

Sure, but the talent, style, and attributes would suggest so. The guy is 7 feet tall and will always be 7 feet tall with lenght and able to shoot. The only question is he health and or desire. As he slows down he can just move over to PF full time and eventually even center on defense. He will still have ball handling, passing and shooting skills of value I would imagine. Not many players truely can graduate to center and do it competently. Dirk is no great rim defender and he's still doing it at 39. Durant is like him but better in every way and on defense and rim protection and more athletic.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#4 » by hyberx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:32 pm

If any player can still be able to play at 40, KD would be one of the few and the best of them. You rarely see guards who can still play since they rely on their quickness which is gone by then. MJ was an exception since he is very tall for his position and got a great post up game. KD is the same, he is taller than most and can shoot.

In addition, this is once again a click bait by the reporter who asked if KD can still play at 40. It's not like KD jumps out of nowhere and just declared he wants to play until 40. What do you say when they ask you like that and you are one of the best? Nah, I am done at 35?

Return to Wiretap Discussion