Teams Reluctant To Take On Salary In Trade Market

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 296

Teams Reluctant To Take On Salary In Trade Market 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Many NBA executives are anticipating a dearth of activity around this year's trade deadline.

Most teams are more interested in unloading salary than taking on players on long-term financial commitments. While the cap spiked dramatically over the past few seasons, most teams have already compromised their newly found space.

“There are plenty of good players to be had, but the problem is no one wants to take anything back,” said one executive.

Nikola Mirotic could be one of the bigger names who is actually traded this season.

Via Tim Bontemps/Washington Post

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Re: Teams Reluctant To Take On Salary In Trade Market 

Post#2 » by the_process » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:19 pm

This is just silly if true. There are teams that have space that are in the middle of a multi year rebuild and have no use for that space right now. They should be selling it for maximum assets. What, the Bulls and the Mavericks (just picking randomly) think they’re going to sign a tier 1 free agent after winning 25 games?
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,661

Post#3 » by grindtime22 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:24 pm

the_process wrote:This is just silly if true. There are teams that have space that are in the middle of a multi year rebuild and have no use for that space right now. They should be selling it for maximum assets. What the Bulls and the Mavericks (just picking randomly) think they’re going to sign a tier 1 free agent after winning 25 games?

I agree

It would be funny to see the Bulls take on salary for draft pick compensation after they sold a nice second round pick in the summer.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#4 » by colaroaster » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:36 pm

owners also look at this like a business i.e. dollar is -12% since jan '17
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#5 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 pm

the_process wrote:This is just silly if true. There are teams that have space that are in the middle of a multi year rebuild and have no use for that space right now. They should be selling it for maximum assets. What, the Bulls and the Mavericks (just picking randomly) think they’re going to sign a tier 1 free agent after winning 25 games?

Given the new salary structure I would agree that there's still very small chance they could get a tier 1 free agent. Those teir 2 players are going to get some max contracts thrown their way as well as the opportunity to run their own ball club and sell some jerseys, shoes and merchandise. There's always perks being the best player on a team.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#6 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 pm

id like Nikola on the Spurs. With Green down he could really fit into that system.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,089

Post#7 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:07 am

I sometimes wonder about the qualifications to be an NBA GM. There are trained monkeys who could manage their money better than some of these guys. Maybe even some untrained monkeys.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#8 » by smittybanton » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:00 am

the_process wrote:This is just silly if true. There are teams that have space that are in the middle of a multi year rebuild and have no use for that space right now. They should be selling it for maximum assets. What, the Bulls and the Mavericks (just picking randomly) think they’re going to sign a tier 1 free agent after winning 25 games?

You know how I feel.

The Sixers have the cure to all the Magic’s problems. A bunch of expiring contracts, and they need a shooting guard who can defend and finish better than JJ Redick, plus a backup center who can anchor the second string defense and spot start for Joel Embiid. The Sixers should also get OKC involved, since they’re headed to a first round exit and gonna lose Paul George.

The Sixers should take on the worst contract in the league, Bismack Biyombo's contract ($17M, 2020) for the price of one Evan Fournier ($17M, 2020). Then ship Evan Fournier and PHI18 to Oklahoma City for Paul George.

Oklahoma City gets Evan Fournier and PHI18.
Orlando gets $34M in cap space = JJ Redick ($23M, expiring) and Amir Johnson ($11M, expiring).
Sixers get Paul George and Bismack Biyombo.

That solves the Sixers issues on offense and second team defense. If the Sixers make a deep run into the playoffs, Paul George would be wise to sign a five year deal with the sixers with an opt out after two, when he can get the 10 year vet max. OKC get a lesser version of George, plus a pick. Presti should want Hezonja too just to sell the fans we also got the #4 pick in the '15 draft. Orlando gets a reset button.

Ben Simmons, Paul George, Robert Covington, Dario Saric, Joel Embiid, w/TJ McConnell, Markelle Fultz, Bismack Biyombo
the_process
RealGM

Post#9 » by the_process » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:20 pm

smittybanton wrote:

You know how I feel.

The Sixers have the cure to all the Magic’s problems. A bunch of expiring contracts, and they need a shooting guard who can defend and finish better than JJ Redick, plus a backup center who can anchor the second string defense and spot start for Joel Embiid. The Sixers should also get OKC involved, since they’re headed to a first round exit and gonna lose Paul George.

The Sixers should take on the worst contract in the league, Bismack Biyombo's contract ($17M, 2020) for the price of one Evan Fournier ($17M, 2020). Then ship Evan Fournier and PHI18 to Oklahoma City for Paul George.

Orlando gets $34M in cap space = JJ Redick ($23M, expiring) and Amir Johnson ($11M, expiring).

That solves the Sixers issues on offense and second team defense. If the Sixers make a deep run into the playoffs, Paul George would be wise to sign a five year deal with the sixers with an opt out after two, when he can get the 10 year vet max. OKC get a lesser version of George, plus a pick. Presti should want Hezonja too just to sell the fans we also got the #4 pick in the '15 draft. Orlando gets a reset button.

Ben Simmons, Paul George, Robert Covington, Dario Saric, Joel Embiid, w/TJ McConnell, Markelle Fultz, Bismack Biyombo

I’d do that trade for Philly. OKC has to at least think long and hard about it. I know ORL wants to dump Biyombo badly, but badly enough to use their 2nd best player? Maybe?
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by smittybanton » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 pm

the_process wrote:
smittybanton wrote:

You know how I feel.

I’d do that trade for Philly. OKC has to at least think long and hard about it. I know ORL wants to dump Biyombo badly, but badly enough to use their 2nd best player? Maybe?

That's fair.

They are shopping Fournier aggressively. And I'm not sure what they get for him would be enough to then use to get rid of Biyombo. That's why I think they'd be interested in Redick and Johnson. That said, with their cap situation and rebuild they should want young players on rookie contracts as well. I am no fan of TLC or Justin Anderson or Holmes. I'd include any of the three if the Magic were interested. TLC most likely, I'd think.

Given their feeling about Payton and his contract situation, they should really want TJ McConnell. But I wouldn't include him in this deal unless we got to pick swap with them this year.
the_process
RealGM

Post#11 » by the_process » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:38 pm

smittybanton wrote:
the_process wrote:
smittybanton wrote:
You know how I feel.

That's fair.

They are shopping Fournier aggressively. And I'm not sure what they get for him would be enough to then use to get rid of Biyombo. That's why I think they'd be interested in Redick and Johnson. That said, with their cap situation and rebuild they should want young players on rookie contracts as well. I am no fan of TLC or Justin Anderson or Holmes. I'd include any of the three if the Magic were interested. TLC most likely, I'd think.

Given their feeling about Payton and his contract situation, they should really want TJ McConnell. But I wouldn't include him in this deal unless we got to pick swap with them this year.

I bet if ORL could dump Augustin too they’d be on board with this. But I wouldn’t take him on Philly.
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by smittybanton » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 pm

the_process wrote:
smittybanton wrote:
the_process wrote:

That's fair.

I bet if ORL could dump Augustin too they’d be on board with this. But I wouldn’t take him on Philly.

I think DJ and Shelvin Mack's contracts show just how bad a predicament Orlando's in. Even their fans don't think they can get rid of Biyombo. I would start the negotiations by asking for ORL18, then down to a pick swap with LA/SAC, and then I'd 'settle' on JJ and Amir for Bismack and Fournier.

But if I knew for certain PG would sign with us if we make it at least to the second round of the playoffs, then okay: Amir, Booker, JJ for Fournier, DJ and Bismack. Augustin is not a bad player to have on a playoff team. Better than Jerryd Bayless.

Whatever the specifics, I'm going to be kind of salty if BC sits on his hands. There's a deal in there.

Return to Wiretap Discussion