Rajon Rondo: What Has Isaiah Thomas Done?

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Re: Rajon Rondo: What Has Isaiah Thomas Done? 

Post#21 » by shadrock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Isaiah was beloved and appreciated in Boston... a short video tribute is not the same as hanging his jersey. Sheesh.

The Celts have a guilty conscience, and its a pr move. Pretty easy to figure out.
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#22 » by vct33 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
vct33 wrote:
RCM88x wrote:
Rondo only did one of those things and probably wasn't even a top 4 player on the team.

Like lol, did Rondo ever finish in the top 5 of the MVP voting? I think most people would agree.

I have a poll on the Celtics board of Prime Rondo vs Prime Thomas and right now it's 30 - 5 in favor of Rondo. So I'd say that most people wouldn't agree.

Umm, Rondo is 31... he should still be in his prime. Don't you find it interesting that what people refer to as Rondo's "prime" ended when he was 26, right when most people are entering their prime? That also happens to coincide with the departure of Pierce and KG. Rondo never made an all-star team with less tan 2 HoF teammates. Remember how good Perkins looked in that lineup?

And seriously, we are talking about a video montage! Jealous much?

I don't think it's jealousy at all. It's just Rajon's obsinate personality.

And no, I don't find it intersting that Rondo's prime was age 26. There are no rules for when a player should peak. He had some injuries and bounced around and is where he is now. I'd argue D Rose was the 2nd best player in the world at age 22 and he's a marginal role player at 29. Circumstances are different for every play. Of course it helps to play with Pierce and KG but I don't hear anyone degrading Clay Thompson or Draymond Green because of who they play with. I'd argue that Thomas benefited just as much from playing in Brad Stevens' system as Rondo did playing with the guys he had.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#23 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 pm

vct33 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
vct33 wrote:
I have a poll on the Celtics board of Prime Rondo vs Prime Thomas and right now it's 30 - 5 in favor of Rondo. So I'd say that most people wouldn't agree.

Umm, Rondo is 31... he should still be in his prime. Don't you find it interesting that what people refer to as Rondo's "prime" ended when he was 26, right when most people are entering their prime? That also happens to coincide with the departure of Pierce and KG. Rondo never made an all-star team with less tan 2 HoF teammates. Remember how good Perkins looked in that lineup?

And no, I don't find it intersting that Rondo's prime was age 26. There are no rules for when a player should peak. He had some injuries and bounced around and is where he is now. I'd argue D Rose was the 2nd best player in the world at age 22 and he's a marginal role player at 29. Circumstances are different for every play. Of course it helps to play with Pierce and KG but I don't hear anyone degrading Clay Thompson or Draymond Green because of who they play with. I'd argue that Thomas benefited just as much from playing in Brad Stevens' system as Rondo did playing with the guys he had.

Maybe, but Rose was overrated to begin with and he is clearly still hampered by his injurys. Rondo is still the same player post injury. He simply could never shoot, but that wasn't a problem with Pierce, Allen and KG around him... but it is now. (See Rubio.)

I also think Draymond would still be a backup if he played on the Pistons or something... right place, right time.
ChiTownJedi
Junior
And1: 99

Post#24 » by ChiTownJedi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Harry Garris wrote:What has Rondo done? He was the 4th best player on their championship team. People bring up that he had nice overall numbers and was a good passer in his extremely short-lived prime but that doesn't change the fact that he was so much of a liability offensively defenses would often not even glance in his direction until he was 10 feet from the basket.

I would agree that IT isn't some Celtics legend but Rondo isn't one either just because he was fortunate enough to be on the roster during the time when Ainge threw together a super team for a championship run.

I think anyone who paid attention to the Celtics especially through their Big 3 and Rondo, who was very impactful, would understand that this is not a question of Rondo vs IT -- It's about the Franchise with the Most Championships seemingly allocating what are usually associated with Lifetime achievement awards to players who were very good and didn't deliver.

Doesn't matter if he was the 4th or 10th best player on a Championship team. Champion means something.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#25 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Harry Garris wrote:What has Rondo done? He was the 4th best player on their championship team. People bring up that he had nice overall numbers and was a good passer in his extremely short-lived prime but that doesn't change the fact that he was so much of a liability offensively defenses would often not even glance in his direction until he was 10 feet from the basket.

I would agree that IT isn't some Celtics legend but Rondo isn't one either just because he was fortunate enough to be on the roster during the time when Ainge threw together a super team for a championship run.

Well for one he's actually won a ring. Also love him or hate him Rondo thrives in the playoffs and was at times Boston's best player on the court. A couple postseasons he averaged basically a triple double so he definitely wasn't a liability on offense.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#26 » by EAS Law » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 pm

I must have missed the facts of this story where the Celtics plan on retiring IT’s number.

It’s just a video tribute and extremely common.

Rondo is just a petty man
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#27 » by donaldtrump_00 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
vct33 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Umm, Rondo is 31... he should still be in his prime. Don't you find it interesting that what people refer to as Rondo's "prime" ended when he was 26, right when most people are entering their prime? That also happens to coincide with the departure of Pierce and KG. Rondo never made an all-star team with less tan 2 HoF teammates. Remember how good Perkins looked in that lineup?

Maybe, but Rose was overrated to begin with and he is clearly still hampered by his injurys. Rondo is still the same player post injury. He simply could never shoot, but that wasn't a problem with Pierce, Allen and KG around him... but it is now. (See Rubio.)

I also think Draymond would still be a backup if he played on the Pistons or something... right place, right time.

I wasn't going to say anything until u spoke on rose. Look dude. Nothing about rose is or ever was overatted. This guy took the league by storm. There's still not players today who could do what rose did his first 4 years. Rondo nor Thomas are close to d. Rose. I hate when ppl tot all stupid on a player who a die hard at getting greater and greater like rose was before injuries. Nobody called stop him. In my opinion he passes the real Isaiah Thomas and catches magic Johnson by now if hes won rings and continued to get better as he certainly was going to do.

Without any doubt in my mind rose is still over curry and westbrook today if he never ever gets hurt. I say that to anyone's face eye to eye dead serious with confidence. Its the truth. Even kd and lebron know it. Nobody is more luckier then them two he got hurt. He was about to change the league. he was that special. Don't disrespect ever again
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#28 » by DCRYsing89 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
vct33 wrote:
RCM88x wrote:
Rondo only did one of those things and probably wasn't even a top 4 player on the team.

Like lol, did Rondo ever finish in the top 5 of the MVP voting? I think most people would agree.

Rondos prime would still be going if guys like 'steph curry' and 'klay thompson' didnt come in the league.
His game hasn't declined its just with everyone else now shooting threes and he isn't this making him nowadays seem out of him prime.
Rondo had a passing pass game, so yes he needs great shooting teammates, it would be like if steve nash never got on that Phoenix team, he wouldn't of been able to average 11 assists, probably still would of hovered round 8 assists per game.
Rondo benefited as all pass dominant PGs do, from having solid players around him.
But that doesn't mean he wasn't valueble to their team.
The league changed and players adapted, rondo got left in the dust.
Its suprising he is still a starter in the league, shows how top quality he is, even without a three in the modern day NBA he still has a starting spot of championship contenders.
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#29 » by Jaivl » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 pm

He has already done more than you.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,474

Post#30 » by Harry Garris » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:

Well for one he's actually won a ring. Also love him or hate him Rondo thrives in the playoffs and was at times Boston's best player on the court. A couple postseasons he averaged basically a triple double so he definitely wasn't a liability on offense.

Rondo was never better than Pierce or Garnett. Yes he did have a few great games in the playoffs but a lot of that was because he was so terrible in the regular season that the defense just gave him whatever he wanted so he took those shots. And yes to his credit he had a few games especially versus the Heat where he got hot and made them. But IMO when you've been so bad that the defense is forced to pretend like you're not even on the floor and gives you wide open looks, that doesn't make you a better player than hall of famers who are being guarded by the other teams best player because they respect them as a threat.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#31 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 pm

BorkLazer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
BorkLazer wrote:
IT had his chance at a tribute and refused it. And are you from Boston, JonfromVA? How do you know who is beloved in that town? I can tell you Thomas was absolutely appreciated for his time here, but he is but a very short chapter in the annals of Celtics history.

He didn't refuse it, he asked the organization if they'd move it to a game he'd be playing in and that his family could attend - and they honored the request. They can still do that.

And how do I know how Boston feels about Isaiah? Kind of hard to miss all the gushing, pride, praise, and bragging over the last couple of years - and he didn't ask to be traded ...

He refused. He said he didn't want one until he played, so he refused the night they offered. The Celtics, wanting to avoid bad PR, offered another night, which he accepted. Fast forward here we are.

And yes, while IT was here we were very proud of him and how he was performing. Why wouldn't we have been? But let's be real, we NEVER held him up as a Celtic legend, which you would think he was from the way he talks about his time in Boston.

Isaiah doesn't determine what videos the Celtics choose to play during their home productions, so yes, he made a request, and yes, the Celtics honored it. It would be short little deal during the game and wouldn't interfere a bit with honoring Paul Pierce, but once again Isaiah asked it to be moved again to put an end to all the BS.

And Isaiah doesn't have to be a Celtic's legend for them to run a video ... didn't they run one for Jae Crowder? It's no big deal ... it's just a little recognition for a former player who parted in good standing. Rondo and Pierce are just nuts to complain about this.
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#32 » by BorkLazer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:32 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
BorkLazer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
He didn't refuse it, he asked the organization if they'd move it to a game he'd be playing in and that his family could attend - and they honored the request. They can still do that.

And how do I know how Boston feels about Isaiah? Kind of hard to miss all the gushing, pride, praise, and bragging over the last couple of years - and he didn't ask to be traded ...

He refused. He said he didn't want one until he played, so he refused the night they offered. The Celtics, wanting to avoid bad PR, offered another night, which he accepted. Fast forward here we are.

And yes, while IT was here we were very proud of him and how he was performing. Why wouldn't we have been? But let's be real, we NEVER held him up as a Celtic legend, which you would think he was from the way he talks about his time in Boston.

Isaiah doesn't determine what videos the Celtics choose to play during their home productions, so yes, he made a request, and yes, the Celtics honored it. It would be short little deal during the game and wouldn't interfere a bit with honoring Paul Pierce, but once again Isaiah asked it to be moved again to put an end to all the BS.

And Isaiah doesn't have to be a Celtic's legend for them to run a video ... didn't they run one for Jae Crowder? It's no big deal ... it's just a little recognition for a former player who parted in good standing. Rondo and Pierce are just nuts to complain about this.

If it's no big deal why didn't IT accept the first time they were going to show the tribute? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve one, and agree it's not a big deal, but IT should have just smiled and gotten it over with the first time. Rondo and Pierce are completely correct (although I do blame the C's a little bit for even offering the Pierce night in the first place).
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#33 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 pm

BorkLazer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
BorkLazer wrote:

If it's no big deal why didn't IT accept the first time they were going to show the tribute? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve one, and agree it's not a big deal, but IT should have just smiled and gotten it over with the first time. Rondo and Pierce are completely correct (although I do blame the C's a little bit for even offering the Pierce night in the first place).

Because it's a big deal to *him* ... he wants to actually play and have his family there. It's not a "big deal" in the respect that a few minutes of video, a bow, and applause during a timeout will not interfere with anything.
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#34 » by BorkLazer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:49 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
BorkLazer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Because it's a big deal to *him* ... he wants to actually play and have his family there. It's not a "big deal" in the respect that a few minutes of video, a bow, and applause during a timeout will not interfere with anything.

So is it a big deal or isn't it? If it isn't a big deal then IT is being selfish, but if it is then it shouldn't be on the same night they retire a number. If it means as much to him as you say he should have accepted the offer and been happy with that. And do you think that they have a number of dates that they can just pick from? The Cavs ONLY COME TO BOSTON ONE MORE TIME IN THE REGULAR SEASON!

They had TWO DATES with Cleveland at home to have his tribute, and one of the dates was already taken by Pierce who absolutely should have his own night as a top-10 player in franchise history. Why is this so hard to understand?
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#35 » by nedleeds » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:51 pm

RCM88x wrote:Had a better season than you ever did for starters.

He was about to beat them as a Bull until he broke his thumb. That would have been a 1st round exit.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,028

Post#36 » by ontnut » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 pm

The whole situation was caused by the Celtics arena schedulers was it not? No reason to schedule two tributes on the same night...there's 41 how games, like why is this even an issue?

IT getting a tribute video is for the fans who fell in love with him. His mark on the organization was miniscule in the grand scheme and compared to Pierce.

And re: Rondo, what else is he expected to say? Reporters asked him knowing he's give the type of response he did. He's just being him. Chill.
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#37 » by vct33 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:14 am

donaldtrump_00 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
vct33 wrote:

I wasn't going to say anything until u spoke on rose. Look dude. Nothing about rose is or ever was overatted. This guy took the league by storm. There's still not players today who could do what rose did his first 4 years. Rondo nor Thomas are close to d. Rose. I hate when ppl tot all stupid on a player who a die hard at getting greater and greater like rose was before injuries. Nobody called stop him. In my opinion he passes the real Isaiah Thomas and catches magic Johnson by now if hes won rings and continued to get better as he certainly was going to do.

Without any doubt in my mind rose is still over curry and westbrook today if he never ever gets hurt. I say that to anyone's face eye to eye dead serious with confidence. Its the truth. Even kd and lebron know it. Nobody is more luckier then them two he got hurt. He was about to change the league. he was that special. Don't disrespect ever again

Absolutely. Rose was so special. Not many 21-22 year old players have had playoff performances like he did.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#38 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 am

DCRYsing89 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
vct33 wrote:

Rondos prime would still be going if guys like 'steph curry' and 'klay thompson' didnt come in the league.
His game hasn't declined its just with everyone else now shooting threes and he isn't this making him nowadays seem out of him prime.
Rondo had a passing pass game, so yes he needs great shooting teammates, it would be like if steve nash never got on that Phoenix team, he wouldn't of been able to average 11 assists, probably still would of hovered round 8 assists per game.
Rondo benefited as all pass dominant PGs do, from having solid players around him.
But that doesn't mean he wasn't valueble to their team.
The league changed and players adapted, rondo got left in the dust.
Its suprising he is still a starter in the league, shows how top quality he is, even without a three in the modern day NBA he still has a starting spot of championship contenders.

He also got hurt, never the same on the defensive end.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#39 » by Mwd1981 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 am

It disgusts me that NBA teams still pay Rajon Rondo.

He acts like a spoiled brat, and he should of been sacked and blackballed the day he went off on the homosexual referee.

The Mavericks and Rick Carlisle were right to treat him like turd he was.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#40 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:14 am

BorkLazer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
BorkLazer wrote:

So is it a big deal or isn't it? If it isn't a big deal then IT is being selfish, but if it is then it shouldn't be on the same night they retire a number. If it means as much to him as you say he should have accepted the offer and been happy with that. And do you think that they have a number of dates that they can just pick from? The Cavs ONLY COME TO BOSTON ONE MORE TIME IN THE REGULAR SEASON!

They had TWO DATES with Cleveland at home to have his tribute, and one of the dates was already taken by Pierce who absolutely should have his own night as a top-10 player in franchise history. Why is this so hard to understand?

The Celtics didn't have a problem with Isaiah's request ... Rondo and Pierce did. What's so hard to understand?

So, now it's scratched.

If Boston fans care to recognize Isaiah, they can do it on their own without prompting from the video scoreboard.

Return to Wiretap Discussion