Damian Lillard Still Believes Market Size Matters For National Attention

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Damian Lillard Still Believes Market Size Matters For National Attention 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:12 pm

While many have made the argument that market size isn't as big of a factor as it was for NBA players in the past, Damian Lillard talked about how it has impacted his All-Star Game voting.

"I think it's a million things that say that's not true," Lillard replied. "I think for me personally, I don't think market size matters as much as it used to because of social media and all that stuff. I have a signature shoe that does well. I got a social media following; there's a lot of people following my music. There's a lot of things that I've been able to be successful at while playing in a small market because of social media. But I still think playing in a big market, there's a difference in a big market and a small market. That's just the way it will always be. You can't look at Memphis and New York City and say, 'Oh, well, if you're a star, you're a star.'"

But Lillard is committed to the Blazers and wants to become their best player in franchise history.

"That speaks to me, because when you think of the Mavericks, you think of Dirk (Nowitzki)," said Lillard. "You had a lot of people that came through there, but he's been there. I think what he's meant to that organization is huge. The same thing with Tim Duncan. He represents the Spurs. That's the name that comes up. And for the Trail Blazers, I want to be the best Trail Blazer ever. And when people talk about this franchise, I want them to talk about me. I want to be what people think of first when they talk about the Portland Trail Blazers."

Via Chris Haynes/ESPN

gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Re: Damian Lillard Still Believes Market Size Matters For National Attention 

Post#2 » by gerrit4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:49 pm

Well, he's not wrong. I don't think market size is as important as it was, but if he was on the Lakers or Knicks he'd be more well-known.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#3 » by The_Hater » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:31 pm

gerrit4 wrote:Well, he's not wrong. I don't think market size is as important as it was, but if he was on the Lakers or Knicks he'd be more well-known.

I think it matters for most players, but not for somebody like LeBron or those playing on an elite team like the Warriors. The national coverage finds the elite players and the elite teams.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#4 » by Lava Rock Kid » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:32 pm

He is right. Look how overrated the laker rookies are compared to the rest.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,078

Post#5 » by MrBigShot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:51 pm

I agree with everything he said. But, as good as Lillard is he'll never be better than Brandon Roy or Clyde.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#6 » by MegaK » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 pm

oh snap. Joakim Noah for Damian Lillard. Playoffs here we come.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#7 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Dame you are right
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#8 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:12 pm

MrBigShot wrote:I agree with everything he said. But, as good as Lillard is he'll never be better than Brandon Roy or Clyde.

It will come down to how much he wins in Portland.
Right now his stats are slightly better than Roy's and unlike Roy he has taken the Blazers to the 2nd round. Roy's career was also sadly cut short by injuries so Lillard will likely have much better career totals barring injury or trade.
His numbers are slightly worse than Clyde's and Clyde took the team to the finals and conference finals.
I'll add Bill Walton who was an MVP in Portland but had a short career but that career in Portland was cut short.
Ultimately for Lillard to be considered the best he will need to be a leader that took the team to the finals at the very least
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#9 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Toronto is the fourth largest media market in North America and they have been a 50 win team for a few years. They get no media attention from the US. If market size was the only thing that mattered, they would be on TV every weekend.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,078

Post#10 » by MrBigShot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:I agree with everything he said. But, as good as Lillard is he'll never be better than Brandon Roy or Clyde.

Right now his stats are slightly better than Roy's and unlike Roy he has taken the Blazers to the 2nd round. Roy's career was also sadly cut short by injuries so Lillard will likely have much better career totals barring injury or trade.
His numbers are slightly worse than Clyde's and Clyde took the team to the finals and conference finals.
I'll add Bill Walton who was an MVP in Portland but had a short career but that career in Portland was cut short.
Ultimately for Lillard to be considered the best he will need to be a leader that took the team to the finals at the very least

Roy played in the slowest paced offensive in the league and never attempted as many shots per game as Lillard has though, so it makes sense that Lillard's raw numbers are better.

I expect him to have a better career but when it comes down to it Lillard is in his prime now and I just don't think he's as talented as Roy was at his peak.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#11 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:38 pm

MrBigShot wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:

Roy played in the slowest paced offensive in the league and never attempted as many shots per game as Lillard has though, so it makes sense that Lillard's raw numbers are better.

I expect him to have a better career but when it comes down to it Lillard is in his prime now and I just don't think he's as talented as Roy was at his peak.

As I said it will come down to team success. Stats will have an effect on how he is viewed but the ultimate stat will be playoff success(and look at my screen name I am a huge Clyde Drexler and Brandon Roy fan). Sadly for Roy injuries and having a coach who was terrible in the playoffs will lower where he is viewed career wise in Portland
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Witzig-Okashi
Rookie
And1: 379

Post#12 » by Witzig-Okashi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:Toronto is the fourth largest media market in North America and they have been a 50 win team for a few years. They get no media attention from the US. If market size was the only thing that mattered, they would be on TV every weekend.

Being in the United States matters for it, too. I have no doubts if the Miami Heat had the same thing going for them now (fourth largest media market and sustained success like the Raps of recent years) that they would not be on TV every weekend...There's a foreign/familiar element involved in this, too. Not just with the large/small market dichotomy, either...
"Everybody eats"
-Bradley Beal
"*Sigh* The things I do for love."
-Courage the Cowardly Dog
Lee in Oregon
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#13 » by Lee in Oregon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 pm

And water is wet...

The league is full of great point guards, and Dame is only one of many. Just my opinion but he's not in the same class as Westbrook, Harden, Kyrie, Wall, Curry, CP3, & Lowry. I 'm not sure he understands the concept of defense. He's is the Kemba Walker-Mike Conley- next group down. He's also a bit butt-hurt that Portland can't get a sniff from any of the top free-agents.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:30 am

If he changes his nick from Dame to Lil' Dayum, he might become a lot more popular all of a sudden.

And he needs better teammates as well
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#15 » by Dino353 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:23 am

The Blazers should trade CJ for Wiggins. Both teams benefit, Wiggins could flourish as a small forward in Portland and he compliments Lillard perfectly.

In Minnesota CJ could slot in at the 2 and Butler could slide to the 3. He would make Minnesota’s offense a lot more potent and open up the floor for Butler and Towns to operate more freely.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:51 am

Lee in Oregon wrote:And water is wet...

The league is full of great point guards, and Dame is only one of many. Just my opinion but he's not in the same class as Westbrook, Harden, Kyrie, Wall, Curry, CP3, & Lowry. I 'm not sure he understands the concept of defense. He's is the Kemba Walker-Mike Conley- next group down. He's also a bit butt-hurt that Portland can't get a sniff from any of the top free-agents.

You had me until Lowry. Lillard is definitely second tier... and he is far better than Lowry. Lillard's career stats are about the same as Lowry's best season stats. And Lillard is just 27. Lowry was 26 before he had a coach convinced he should be a starter. I would also take Conley over Lowry and the Griz agree.
Lee in Oregon
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#17 » by Lee in Oregon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:56 am

Clyde no, but he's already on par or at least darn close with B. Roy. The Blazers have had only 2 exceptional players in their history, Clyde Drexler and Bill Redhead. Dame will never be in that group, but he's right there with Porter, Roy, LA, and maybe Buck Williams.

Return to Wiretap Discussion