Lakers Weren't Interested In Trading For Blake Griffin

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Lakers Weren't Interested In Trading For Blake Griffin 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:59 am

The Los Angeles Lakers were not interested in Blake Griffin prior to the Clippers' trade of him to the Pistons.

The Lakers could have used Brook Lopez's $22 million expiring contract to match salaries.

The Lakers don't own their 2018 first round draft pick and also aspire to have two max contract slots to offer in free agency.

Griffin had been linked to the Lakers heading into his free agency, but he quickly re-signed with the Clippers.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Re: Lakers Weren't Interested In Trading For Blake Griffin 

Post#2 » by gordoncatrell » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:48 am

another "Toldja". only young superstars need apply.
youblewwit
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#3 » by youblewwit » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:12 am

This is much ado about nothing. As Lowe said, Lakers didn't have the assets (no picks), so LAC wasn't looking at LAL to be a trade partner anyway. A bunch of teams have expirings as well.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,199

Post#4 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:42 pm

I said Magic was a bad hire for the Lakers when it happened, and so far, I haven't been wrong. The Lakers are horrible and need all the talent they can get. Despite that, they apparently think they're too good for a 23-8-5 guy. I guess they'd rather be Orlando Magic West, then.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,199

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:43 pm

youblewwit wrote:This is much ado about nothing. As Lowe said, Lakers didn't have the assets (no picks), so LAC wasn't looking at LAL to be a trade partner anyway. A bunch of teams have expirings as well.

Clearly, we weren't looking very hard for assets - otherwise, we wouldn't have traded Blake for the assortment of crap we got from Detroit.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#6 » by Kobe System » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:04 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I said Magic was a bad hire for the Lakers when it happened, and so far, I haven't been wrong. The Lakers are horrible and need all the talent they can get. Despite that, they apparently think they're too good for a 23-8-5 guy. I guess they'd rather be Orlando Magic West, then.

Kuzma, Hart and Bryant says Hi! :roll:
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,315

Post#7 » by rapstarter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:12 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I said Magic was a bad hire for the Lakers when it happened, and so far, I haven't been wrong. The Lakers are horrible and need all the talent they can get. Despite that, they apparently think they're too good for a 23-8-5 guy. I guess they'd rather be Orlando Magic West, then.

Why would they suddently settle for perennial treadmill status w Blake Griffin when it's been clear for a while that they would be swinging for the fences in the summer? Sure they might not be able to get anyone better than Griffin, but sitting this one out was the obvious thing to do for their long term plan.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#8 » by Slava » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:01 pm

I see you've been demoted to trolling the wiretap comments.

:rofl:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#9 » by larry14r » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Dude please do us a favor and shut the F up.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#10 » by King4Day » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:23 pm

They wouldn't have had enough. The Clippers wanted to still compete and the Lakers couldn't offer players to accomplish that.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,156

Post#11 » by Edrees » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:42 pm

Neither party was interested in what the other had to offer. Move along now.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#12 » by gordoncatrell » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:00 pm

MAGIC is a figure head; a brand visionary. he's a closer in a mtg. the idea behind Magic Johnson is similar to Elon Musk or Steve Jobs. he's the guy you want to hear from to pitch the "vision" of solar panels or a hyperloop and cut the ribbon for the grand reveal. MAGIC gets the populus to buy-in.
Pelinka is your builder. he will build and play the chessgame. he does it well.

Blake is not on the radar for what LAL Braintrust has in mind. Blake is high mileage car. no thank you.

MAGIC/PELINKA (if this story is true), correctly passed. it SHOWS the rest of the league, where they want to go - "bat symbol" to Giannis Kawhi AD
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,151

Post#13 » by druggas » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Don't you have bigger fish to fry like your coach and his son?

Return to Wiretap Discussion