Pelicans Trade Dante Cunningham To Nets For Rashad Vaughn

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Pelicans Trade Dante Cunningham To Nets For Rashad Vaughn 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:27 pm

The New Orleans Pelicans have agreed to trade Dante Cunningham to the Brooklyn Nets for Rashad Vaughn.

The Nets recently acquired Vaughn in a deal with the Bucks.

Via Shams Charania/Yahoo! Sports

anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Re: Pelicans Trade Dante Cunningham To Nets For Rashad Vaughn 

Post#2 » by anatomicbomb » Fri Feb 9, 2018 12:12 am

1st!

Whew.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#3 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 12:13 am

Hot trash going both ways

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Feb 9, 2018 1:02 am

Head scratching move by the Pels, unless they really like Vaughn or they're trying to save money

Makes sense for the Nets, they have many shooting wings but kinda thin up front.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Feb 9, 2018 4:46 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:Head scratching move by the Pels, unless they really like Vaughn or they're trying to save money

Makes sense for the Nets, they have many shooting wings but kinda thin up front.

Funny... I feel the opposite. It's kind of a low impact trade either way, but I honestly can't figure out the Nets angle. Dante will cost them maybe 50k more, which is a drop in the bucket. But they aren't making the playoffs, they don't own their own pick and both players are free agents this summer. Where's the motivation?

For he Pels on the other hand... the money is about the same and Dante is a career journeyman on his way down. Vaughn was a mid 1st round pick that has underachieved but he's still only 21. Maybe they just want to take him for a test drive. Or possibly they see the Clips a half-game behind them and realize that another trip to the lottery is nearly inevitable. Even if they could find a way to hang on for another 29 games, a few extra ping-pong balls may have more value than a first round sweep. Dante is clearly their most expendable starter.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#6 » by Alonzo_Morning » Fri Feb 9, 2018 5:48 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Head scratching move by the Pels, unless they really like Vaughn or they're trying to save money

Funny... I feel the opposite. It's kind of a low impact trade either way, but I honestly can't figure out the Nets angle. Dante will cost them maybe 50k more, which is a drop in the bucket. But they aren't making the playoffs, they don't own their own pick and both players are free agents this summer. Where's the motivation?

For he Pels on the other hand... the money is about the same and Dante is a career journeyman on his way down. Vaughn was a mid 1st round pick that has underachieved but he's still only 21. Maybe they just want to take him for a test drive. Or possibly they see the Clips a half-game behind them and realize that another trip to the lottery is nearly inevitable. Even if they could find a way to hang on for another 29 games, a few extra ping-pong balls may have more value than a first round sweep. Dante is clearly their most expendable starter.

Breh we don't have our 1st
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Feb 9, 2018 6:00 am

Alonzo_Morning wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Breh we don't have our 1st

Then it's going to be even more depressing to watch those lottery balls bounce.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:50 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:

The Nets traded Tyler Zeller for the pick, Vaughn was just for salary match. Got Russell, Crabbe, Harris, Stauskis, LeVert who are shooting SGs already, traded Booker and RHJ is injured, it makes sense to get frontcourt help. Don't have own pick, so why not win more games?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:04 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

The Nets traded Tyler Zeller for the pick, Vaughn was just for salary match. Got Russell, Crabbe, Harris, Stauskis, LeVert who are shooting SGs already, traded Booker and RHJ is injured, it makes sense to get frontcourt help. Don't have own pick, so why not win more games?

I don't know that Cunningham on his best day would have been able to bring them a few more wins... his best days were not that great and they are a long ways behind him. But if he can... I am his new biggest fan.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Funny... I feel the opposite. It's kind of a low impact trade either way, but I honestly can't figure out the Nets angle. Dante will cost them maybe 50k more, which is a drop in the bucket. But they aren't making the playoffs, they don't own their own pick and both players are free agents this summer. Where's the motivation?

I don't know that Cunningham on his best day would have been able to bring them a few more wins... his best days were not that great and they are a long ways behind him. But if he can... I am his new biggest fan.

~lol~ Hey, win more and win a few more aren't necessarily the same! Booker are Zeller were traded, RHJ is injured, I guess they don't want to play Jah much. The guy was actually starting in NO and sometimes played 30+ mins. Well, in his first game with Nets, he played 20 mins off the bench and had the highest +/- on both teams. It was a double over time and the team with team with better record and by far the best player won. So one could say Dante almost won the Nets a game!
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:08 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:The Nets traded Tyler Zeller for the pick, Vaughn was just for salary match. Got Russell, Crabbe, Harris, Stauskis, LeVert who are shooting SGs already, traded Booker and RHJ is injured, it makes sense to get frontcourt help. Don't have own pick, so why not win more games?

~lol~ Hey, win more and win a few more aren't necessarily the same! Booker are Zeller were traded, RHJ is injured, I guess they don't want to play Jah much. The guy was actually starting in NO and sometimes played 30+ mins. Well, in his first game with Nets, he played 20 mins off the bench and had the highest +/- on both teams. It was a double over time and the team with team with better record and by far the best player won. So one could say Dante almost won the Nets a game!

OK, I'll chalk you up for "almost one" more victories. Did they play him in OT? Maybe if they had the Nets would have pulled this one out.

But I'll assume we agree that Cunningham was starting in NO because he was the only thing they had that even slightly resembled a SF.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:36 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I don't know that Cunningham on his best day would have been able to bring them a few more wins... his best days were not that great and they are a long ways behind him. But if he can... I am his new biggest fan.

OK, I'll chalk you up for "almost one" more victories. Did they play him in OT? Maybe if they had the Nets would have pulled this one out.

~lol~ No, they didn't, big mistake!
But I'll assume we agree that Cunningham was starting in NO because he was the only thing they had that even slightly resembled a SF.

So I just found out why they traded him. The guy played extremely hard and shot well last season, then opted out of a 3mil year, thought he was gonna get paid, like guys in 2016, got even less, was pouting and didn't play very well this season. Now, they try to save a bit of money to sign bought out players. Lets see how he does with the Nets, 3&D, they like tweeners there.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion