Steve Kerr Lets Warriors Coach Themselves In Blowout Win Over Suns

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Steve Kerr Lets Warriors Coach Themselves In Blowout Win Over Suns 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:01 pm

Steve Kerr allowed several of his players to coach during Monday's blowout win by the Warriors over the Suns.

“They have to take ownership of it,” Kerr said. “As coaches, our job is to nudge them in the right direction and guide them. We don’t control them, They determine their own fate.”

Kerr believes the Warriors have struggled with inconsistency in part because they're tired of hearing his voice.

Kerr had Andre Iguodala organize morning shootaround, while JaVale McGee led the film sessions on his computer.

Kerr handed his clipboard to Iguodala during the first timeout of the game.

“We just figured it’s probably a good night to pull a trick out of the hat and do something different,” Kerr said. “The players responded really well. I just feel like when we’re focused, we are really tough to beat.”

David West, Draymond Green and Stephen Curry also took turns taking over the huddle.

Green eventually took the most predominant role.

The players responded well to the experiment even if it will only last for one game.

“You appreciate the process of being a little bit more thoughtful of controlling the game and the game plan,” Curry said, “and locking in on tendencies with the Phoenix players and just getting your mind right to play.”

“Let’s not get carried away; I like it here,” Kerr said. “I want to stay. I like this job. I’d like to stay on the job. But tonight they needed a new voice.”

Via Mark Medina/San Jose Mercury News

Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Re: Steve Kerr Lets Warriors Coach Themselves In Blowout Win Over Suns 

Post#2 » by Years90Suns » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 pm

I always thought the Complainers (aka the Warriors) are too disrespectful to their opponents. Waving arms, complaining,doing silly things, celebrating too much... this is a stepfurther on that direction.
You can do that, but it is disrespectful to explain that to the press.
I would be really angry if I was a Suns player.
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#3 » by FreeBoosie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm

wow they're so cool and hip and beautiful. Such a startuppie thing to do lolol
Caese
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#4 » by Caese » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Years90Suns wrote:I always thought the Complainers (aka the Warriors) are too disrespectful to their opponents. Waving arms, complaining,doing silly things, celebrating too much... this is a stepfurther on that direction.

What disrespects the game more? A coach letting the media know he's letting his players coach in an attempt to win/re-energize his squad, or a team outright losing games to tank?
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#5 » by RonaldArtest » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Kerr letting his guys call the shots is just him taking a page out of the book of Lue.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,851

Post#6 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Years90Suns wrote:I always thought the Complainers (aka the Warriors) are too disrespectful to their opponents. Waving arms, complaining,doing silly things, celebrating too much... this is a stepfurther on that direction.

*Calls the Warriors the Complainers*

*Twists self into a pretzel to find something to complain about*
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#7 » by dan-man » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm

RonaldArtest wrote:Kerr letting his guys call the shots is just him taking a page out of the book of Lue.

Yeah but this style doesn't work with dysfunctional teams. You gotta put in the work first. ;)
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#8 » by hyberx » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:18 pm

This is called empowering the team, something very common in today's tech world with great companies, big or small. A team that is empowered and could self-police/organize work the best. Of course, you need to have a system in place and the team bought into that system on both end of the floor, otherwise yeah you can have Lue's P&R ISO all day and call that a system.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#9 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 pm

They have so much talent they don't even need a coach, let's be honest
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
DthTrap
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#10 » by DthTrap » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:They have so much talent they don't even need a coach, let's be honest
2004 Lakers had a team full of HoF and talent but got destroyed by the Pistons. Coaching is needed no matter how much talent is on a team bc Shaq n Payton won in 06 with better coaching.Dont forget Dallas was the better team that season but Pat Riley outcoached em to win 4 in a row.
commentatorer
Sixth Man
And1: 815

Post#11 » by commentatorer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Warriors are so hip but if they never win another ring they'll probably not even be remembered as a top 5 team all-time.
They never won back-to-back, and they managed to lose from 3-1 up (and let's not use Green as an excuse, as people were not predicting Cleveland would win after the Green suspension).
Not exactly top 5 material.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,518

Post#12 » by dice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:41 pm

commentatorer wrote:Warriors are so hip but if they never win another ring they'll probably not even be remembered as a top 5 team all-time.
They never won back-to-back, and they managed to lose from 3-1 up (and let's not use Green as an excuse, as people were not predicting Cleveland would win after the Green suspension).

well, they will win another ring. and probably multiple. so your point will be moot
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#13 » by dice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm

DthTrap wrote:
Chi Dynasty12 wrote:They have so much talent they don't even need a coach, let's be honest
2004 Lakers had a team full of HoF and talent but got destroyed by the Pistons

did he seriously have to specify talent in their primes? malone and payton were on their last legs on that lakers team
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
commentatorer
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by commentatorer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm

dice wrote:
commentatorer wrote:Warriors are so hip but if they never win another ring they'll probably not even be remembered as a top 5 team all-time.

well, they will win another ring. and probably multiple. so your point will be moot

No evidence of that....
They are dead level with Houston this season, and Houston are probably only going to improve.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 617

Post#15 » by alienpick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:45 pm

So he let them be LeBron for a night?
dice
RealGM

Post#16 » by dice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:46 pm

commentatorer wrote:
dice wrote:

No evidence of that....
They are dead level with Houston this season, and Houston are probably only going to improve.

they're even because the warriors are bored
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#17 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Green getting suspended isn't just an excuse, it's the reason we lost. Green is a critical component to our system and a healthy Cleveland was an excellent team. We needed all hands on deck but Green(and Lebron and Silver) did everything possible to get that suspension.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
commentatorer
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by commentatorer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:11 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:

Green getting suspended isn't just an excuse, it's the reason we lost. Green is a critical component to our system and a healthy Cleveland was an excellent team. We needed all hands on deck but Green(and Lebron and Silver) did everything possible to get that suspension.

But on the day Green was suspended, what percentage of basketball fans/analysts were saying Cleveland would win the series?
I can't remember anyone saying "Cleveland are now the favorite"....
Anyway, Golden State lost because they couldn't buy a basket down the stretch of Game 7, and Kyrie won it for Cleveland.
Golden State's lack of clutchness was the biggest factor, in Game 7 at least.
Clutchness is the biggest factor in NBA FInals, and Cleveland had more of it than Golden State.
Golden State were in a position to win, and they lost due to a lack of clutchness, not due to a lack of Green.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#19 » by gordoncatrell » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:43 pm

commentatorer wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:

But on the day Green was suspended, what percentage of basketball fans/analysts were saying Cleveland would win the series?
Anyway, Golden State lost because they couldn't buy a basket down the stretch of Game 7, and Kyrie won it for Cleveland.
Clutchness is the biggest factor in NBA FInals, and Cleveland had more of it than Golden State.
Golden State were in a position to win, and they lost due to a lack of clutchness, not due to a lack of Green.

that be me. i said CLE would win after suspension. not just bc of Green, but mostly bc Iggy was severely hobbled and his back was locking up on him (bc KD was torching them the series prior, how's that for poetry). Green is the GSW insurance policy. No Green and/or healthy Iggy, no W. which puts Klay in foultrouble and so on.

guess what happened. exactly that.

KD is the great equalizer for the next 3 yrs.
dice
RealGM

Post#20 » by dice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:31 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
commentatorer wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:

that be me. i said CLE would win after suspension. not just bc of Green, but mostly bc Iggy was severely hobbled and his back was locking up on him (bc KD was torching them the series prior, how's that for poetry). Green is the GSW insurance policy. No Green and/or healthy Iggy, no W. which puts Klay in foultrouble and so on.

guess what happened. exactly that.

KD is the great equalizer for the next 3 yrs.

if we're being HONEST about why Cleveland rallied to win that series, here are the main factors:

-harrison barnes was useless (5/32 over a 3 game span). obviously not predicted by anyone, and if KD is in there instead it's a different outcome
-curry was mediocre (because of injury?)
-lebron was great (shocker!)

draymond missing game 5 probably didn't matter. wasn't a particularly close game, iggy played fine in his absence and both lebron and kyrie went off

the only close game was game 7. in a nutshell, draymond was a monster, the rest of the GSW team sucked, and kyrie hit a 3 in a tie game w/ a minute left

Return to Wiretap Discussion