Adam Silver Expects To Televise Next Year's All-Star Game Draft

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Adam Silver Expects To Televise Next Year's All-Star Game Draft 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Adam Silver said he was pleased with the quality of the play in the All-Star Game with the two captain format and believed that next year's draft would be televised.

"I thought it was incredible. I can't tell you how appreciative I am of the players," Silver said.

"When we sat with the union and we came up with this format, we all agreed, let's not turn something that's 100 percent positive into a potential negative to any player," Silver said. "But then ... maybe we're overly conservative, because then we came out of there, and the players were, 'We can take it. We're All-Stars. Let's have a draft.' So it sounds like we're going to have a televised draft next year."

Silver, Chris Paul and Michele Roberts came up with the idea of the draft last year.

Via ESPN

mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,943

Re: Adam Silver Expects To Televise Next Year's All-Star Game Draft 

Post#2 » by mastermixer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:18 pm

I agree the draft should be televised, but lets not pretend that the game was better because of the format. The game was better simply because the players said "let's put in a little effort this year".

The All -Star game is cyclical. The Players try hard and there's a good game and everyone loves it, then the players get softer and softer every year until they get blasted in the media and by fans, then they try again and the cycle repeats itself.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#3 » by Diggr14 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Go back to the East/West format.

This “drafting” is just a gimmick and is pretty lame.

Also, 1-16 playoff seeding is also gimmicky, just keep it true to the conferences.... and we all know that the teams 6-7 on down have no prayer anyways. The east and west are relatively level now, it just seems like a silly change for the sake of making a change. Don’t do it. But I have no faith in the Silver/Stern mafia anyways. They generally just favor big markets and any type of player movement that lands a superstar player into a big market.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:28 pm

If the players tried at all this year it was because the prize was raised up to $100k.

All-Star weekend is still a bore fest, and a team captain format with a “draft” has done nothing to change that.

Have American fans pick their best 12 NBA players, and European fans pick their best 12 players and lets have a real All-Star game.

The game has transcended the globe. It’s time we embrace the outstanding talents from everywhere and showcase them. A team of European stars will come to fight, and our guys will have to respond or be embarrassed.

I don’t need to see 24 of our “all-stars” hoisting threes and trying alley oops on every drive. Let’s truly mix it up.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#5 » by gordoncatrell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:34 pm

no thank you.

AS Weekend has devolved into a house party.

the fans want Feuding Competitors, not social media bromances
Arp590
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,989

Post#6 » by Arp590 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 pm

mastermixer wrote:I agree the draft should be televised, but lets not pretend that the game was better because of the format. The game was better simply because the players said "let's put in a little effort this year".

The All -Star game is cyclical. The Players try hard and there's a good game and everyone loves it, then the players get softer and softer every year until they get blasted in the media and by fans, then they try again and the cycle repeats itself.

It's a different mind-set, versus just being placed on a team by default.
Lebron/Curry want to draft a team that will win, guys they want to play with, there is a lot of extra motivation there to win.
The pressure is on Lebron/Curry to motivate the rest of the team because it's TEAM LEBRON & TEAM CURRY, they hand-picked their team, they want to win.
Where's the motivation if you are just thrown on team East or West by default?
When a guy gets drafted to either team they want to put effort in to show that they made a good pick.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Diggr14 wrote:Go back to the East/West format.

Also, 1-16 playoff seeding is also gimmicky, just keep it true to the conferences.... and we all know that the teams 6-7 on down have no prayer anyways. The east and west are relatively level now, it just seems like a silly change for the sake of making a change. Don’t do it. But I have no faith in the Silver/Stern mafia anyways. They generally just favor big markets and any type of player movement that lands a superstar player into a big market.

I agree with you about All-Star and Playoff formats. (I actually don't care about the ASG.) But how are things better if the Clippers get in instead of the Heat? At least the Heat have a chance to win a game or two against the Raps or Celtics. The Clippers would get destroyed against GSW or HOU. It would be sad. 1-16 actually makes for a much sadder 1st and 2nd rounds than E/W 1-8.

I do disagree with you about East and West being even though. Jettison GSW and HOU into space... and then the East and West are even.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,943

Post#8 » by mastermixer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:59 pm

Arp590 wrote:
mastermixer wrote:I agree the draft should be televised, but lets not pretend that the game was better because of the format. The game was better simply because the players said "let's put in a little effort this year".

It's a different mind-set, versus just being placed on a team by default.
Lebron/Curry want to draft a team that will win, guys they want to play with, there is a lot of extra motivation there to win.
The pressure is on Lebron/Curry to motivate the rest of the team because it's TEAM LEBRON & TEAM CURRY, they hand-picked their team, they want to win.
Where's the motivation if you are just thrown on team East or West by default?
When a guy gets drafted to either team they want to put effort in to show that they made a good pick.

I never thought about it like that and I kind of agree with you. But I think that only holds true this first year. If the format stays the same over the next few years, I think the captains and their players will care less and less.

There were years in the East vs West format where vets took control of the locker room and demanded that they bring it this year, and in those years, the game was good.

It all comes down to the players wanting to win or not.

I think the host city comes into play too. This is in LA, a big stage in front of all the celebs, you want to show off more in this game than say in Charollette next year.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
bulls4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 571

Post#9 » by bulls4ever » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 pm

alone the draft does not solve the problem. Players realizing that they cant put a circus was key.
however, there is the aspect of players playing against their teammates that make it more interesting for some of them and they put more effort on it. Bonus money dont do much for near all of them but the bragging rights is priceless for them.

would be nice if they add that players of same team cannot be all in one AS team.
Call 911, the tank is dying alive, tank you very much

WindyCityBorn wrote:If JJJ and Bamba end up better barring injuries I'll eat a piece of a shoe!
alienpick
Starter
And1: 617

Post#10 » by alienpick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:18 am

Diggr14 wrote:Go back to the East/West format.

It isn't changing for the sake of changing. The 1-16 format makes it so the best matchups of the playoffs aren't in the conference finals or the semis. The two best teams make the Finals instead of a weak east team vs the best west team who already competed against the 2nd and 3rd best team. It makes the Finals an actual matchup to watch.

Why should a weak east team with the 5th best record make the Finals just because they are from the east? It should be the #1 and #2 teams, or teams that upset them, competing for the trophy.

It's a good idea.
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#11 » by caronimo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:33 am

NHL done a televised allstar draft before. Not like this is the first time it's been done.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#12 » by deeps6x » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:35 am

Televise the draft lottery as well. No need to do it in the back room behind closed doors and then announce the results hours later - you know, if it is on the up and up.

Can you help steer our game back towards being a sport and away from being a business?
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#13 » by Jim Dolan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 pm

its not a competitive game and there will never be any real rivalries, lets just accept that and move on and try to enjoy what's left of this. every other event has also run its course (slam dunk, 3pt contest) adding the Draft is just the nail in the coffin in this new age of the NBA where everyone is a buddy, hugging and kissing and being part of an elite clique

all star weekend is meant to help a cities economy and give a bunch of celebrities some exposure. it is not really about the fans getting to see a real competition.

Return to Wiretap Discussion