Re: Warriors To Visit D.C. Kids Instead Of White House

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Warriors To Visit D.C. Kids Instead Of White House 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:53 pm

When the Golden State Warriors play at the Wizards this month, the team will go on a private tour of an undisclosed locale.

Steve Kerr left it up to the players to determine how they would spend their time and they selected a venue in which local kids would join them. The session will be closed to the media.

"It's their championship. They got disinvited to the White House, so it's up to them what they wanted to do. So they made their plans," Kerr told ESPN. "I want the players to have a good day and to do something positive and to enjoy what they're doing."

Before Donald Trump revoked the Warriors' invite, the players were prepared to vote against visiting the White House, sources said.

"We're not trying to divide and separate this country," Curry said at the time of Trump's tweet. "We're trying to bring everybody together and speak about love and togetherness and equality. I think that was demonstrated in response to what happened this morning, which is a powerful thing for sure."

"At the end of the day, it's about us celebrating a championship, so there's no point in getting into the political stuff and all that," Draymond Green told ESPN. "It's about something we did great. Why make it about [politics]?"

Via Chris Haynes, Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

Javier Acosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 632

Post#2 » by Javier Acosta » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:26 pm

How about some equality for the re4st of the NBA? Who gets KD Steph?

You have to much control over the means of RANG production.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#3 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Visiting children is D.C.? How is that different than visiting this White House?
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#4 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:31 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:Visiting children in D.C.? How is that different than visiting this White House?

:lol:
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#5 » by F N 11 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:11 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:Visiting children is D.C.? How is that different than visiting this White House?

lol
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#6 » by the_process » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:18 pm

For real, all champions in all sports need to stop going to the White House for photo ops.

For that matter, let’s stop playing the anthem before games as well. No politics at all. Just sports.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#7 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:25 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:Visiting children is D.C.? How is that different than visiting this White House?

GOAT post!!
:beer: RIP mags
GenuineRapCrack
Junior
And1: 1,142

Post#8 » by GenuineRapCrack » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:49 pm

the_process wrote:For real, all champions in all sports need to stop going to the White House for photo ops.

For that matter, let’s stop playing the anthem before games as well. No politics at all. Just sports.

Please and thank you. Keep that **** for Olympics
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#9 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:06 pm

GenuineRapCrack wrote:
the_process wrote:For real, all champions in all sports need to stop going to the White House for photo ops.

i never understood the need for an anthem before non-international contest. to this day it baffles me every time. maybe a national championship would make sense too. but, regular season warriors vs. nuggets? like, why?

white house visits themselves aren't politics. just an invitation tradition for a national champion. it is just telling which president(s) end up being discussed in team boycotts. they don't sit these things out because of partisan disagreements.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#10 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:09 pm

First, I fully agree that the only divisiveness we should see AT (meaning during the game) sporting events is whether you cheer for team A or team B. I completely agree with that. There is a time and a place for other crap but I enjoy sports for its own spectacle. I don’t need or want that extra drama at that time.

However, these are still human beings living in America and nearly all are citizens of this country with the same rights to vote and free speech you and I have. When the game is over they can spend their free time however they please. If some choose to be politically active... good!

I mean, it’s not like they can simply “shut up and dribble” all damn day right?
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,464

Post#11 » by Harry Garris » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:27 pm

Not trying to divide and separate? I thought the Warriors were going to boycott the white house visit based on difference of political opinion. That seems divisive to me. I get not agreeing with the President's politics, I often do myself, but meeting with him despite our differences seems like the opposite of divisive to me.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#12 » by luss54321 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:40 pm

The president has been accused of sexual misconduct (rape, assault, and harassment) by 19 different women..... 19.....

He's been sexual assaulting women and paying them off in court his entire life. Good for the Warrirors. I wouldn't feel comfortable having my wife or daughter in the same room as him.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#13 » by Furinkazan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 pm

why make it political? but you and your teammates made it political :lol:
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:11 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
GenuineRapCrack wrote:

i never understood the need for an anthem before non-international contest. to this day it baffles me every time. maybe a national championship would make sense too. but, regular season warriors vs. nuggets? like, why?

white house visits themselves aren't politics. just an invitation tradition for a national champion. it is just telling which president(s) end up being discussed in team boycotts. they don't sit these things out because of partisan disagreements.

Neither the flag nor the anthem are politically divisive. They represent an ideal. An ideal that unifies both party and people. Freedom and liberty. We don't all agree about the precise meaning of those words or how to achieve them, but the pursuit of this ideal binds us together as Americans.

I think too many people get wrapped up in thinking the flag represents a specific leader, policy or point of view. What the flag actually represent is the right to vote to change the leader or policy as the majority of voters change their point of view.... and clearly changes need to be made! 2018 baby!
_______________________________________ :usa:

But to answer your question more specifically, this is a good read.
http://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#15 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:15 pm

how nice of GSW
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#16 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:27 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
GenuineRapCrack wrote:

Neither the flag nor the anthem are politically divisive. They represent an ideal. An ideal that unifies both party and people. Freedom and liberty. We don't all agree about the precise meaning of those words or how to achieve them, but the pursuit of this ideal binds us together as Americans.

I think too many people get wrapped up in thinking the flag represents a specific leader, policy or point of view. What the flag actually represent is the right to vote to change the leader or policy as the majority of voters change their point of view.... and clearly changes need to be made! 2018 baby!
_______________________________________ :usa:

But to answer your question more specifically, this is a good read.
http://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events

great piece of history there. definitely explains the origin. doesn't explain why we do it now.

it made all the sense in the world at that point around WWI. now it's just done out of tradition. i don't understand the place nationalism really has here.

i am not saying it's necessarily a bad thing that should be done away with. just saying no one has ever given me a reason why it's necessary today. the article actually cites the procedure basically being forced into the flow of otherwise unaffected sporting events.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Re: RE: Re: Warriors To Visit D.C. Kids Instead Of White House 

Post#17 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 pm

luss54321 wrote:The president has been accused of sexual misconduct (rape, assault, and harassment) by 19 different women..... 19.....

He's been sexual assaulting women and paying them off in court his entire life. Good for the Warrirors. I wouldn't feel comfortable having my wife or daughter in the same room as him.
Bill Clinton asks... "That's it?"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,025

Post#18 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:09 pm

Lol at their stupidity. They're the ones that made it political in the first place, they're also going to visit kids for PR reasons to save face from the stupidity. Also, if you're not trying to divide the country, maybe you shouldn't vote against going to the White House for political reasons.

However, it is their right to not want to go if they don't want to. Just don't be hypocrites about it.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,025

Post#19 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 pm

Harry Garris wrote:Not trying to divide and separate? I thought the Warriors were going to boycott the white house visit based on difference of political opinion. That seems divisive to me. I get not agreeing with the President's politics, I often do myself, but meeting with him despite our differences seems like the opposite of divisive to me.

Exactly, they are being divisive. They're pretty much saying "if you don't agree with me, then I want nothing to do with you."
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,464

Post#20 » by Harry Garris » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:54 pm

luss54321 wrote:The president has been accused of sexual misconduct (rape, assault, and harassment) by 19 different women..... 19.....

Accusation isn't the same thing as being guilty. That's why we have a court system, to determine those things. It worries me that in today's world it is so common to extend the benefit of the doubt to those we agree with yet consider those we disagree with as guilty with no burden of proof even necessary.

Return to Wiretap Discussion