Popovich Believed To Be Speaking Directly To Kawhi Leonard In Media Comments

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Popovich Believed To Be Speaking Directly To Kawhi Leonard In Media Comments 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:34 pm

The comments by Gregg Popovich to the media that Kawhi Leonard could miss the remainder of the season despite being medically cleared to play signalled a shift in how the Spurs are handling the situation.

"When Pop came out sort of that first media availability on Wednesday after All-Star break, and it was described to me as people who know Pop very well, that they felt he was speaking to an audience of one in that availability. That he was talking directly to Kawhi," said Adrian Wojnarowski on The Woj Pod.

"Essentially he said, 'well at this point I don't expect him to play and if he's going to play, this needs to happen soon because we'll be faced with a very tough decision: at what point is it too late to try to bring him back into the team?'

"For the first time you could see the public exacerbation of Pop on this issue. It has been a private frustration there. I thought it was the first day you could see it. This continues on and I think his future in San Antonio if he doesn't come back and play this year, or if he comes back in a very limited way. He'll be a year away from free agency, I think his future is going to have to be addressed there."

Wojnarowski reported that it has been surprising considering the previous relationship Leonard has had with the Spurs before this injury.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Popovich Believed To Be Speaking Directly To Kawhi Leonard In Media Comments 

Post#2 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm sure both sides are frustrated. But does it mean the extension won't be signed?

Unless he's damaged, I don't see him leaving the Spurs.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
hoopsfan2424
Sophomore
And1: 108

Re: Popovich Believed To Be Speaking Directly To Kawhi Leonard In Media Comments 

Post#3 » by hoopsfan2424 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:15 pm

mavs land top-5 pick this season and flip it with dennis smith for kawhi. COME ON!!!!
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,320

Post#4 » by CIN-C-STAR » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:22 pm

hoopsfan2424 wrote:mavs land top-5 pick this season and flip it with dennis smith for kawhi. COME ON!!!!

Spurs already have their PG of the future though.
Deal doesn't really make sense from their point of view.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,724

Post#5 » by the_process » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:28 pm

Embiid needs to start recruiting Kawhi instead of Giannis :lol:

The Sixers, amongst other teams, will make a very substantial offer for Kawhi. Whether SA is really ready to move on is another story.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#6 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:36 pm

Kawhi+pick for Lebron
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#7 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:I'm sure both sides are frustrated. But does it mean the extension won't be signed?

he wants out. he cant DEMAND a trade and screw up trade value for SAS.
i'll stick to my assumption that Pop is not star-friendly (not a coincidence that Pop has been on a press tour to apologize publicly to Aldridge). i'll assume the Med Staff / FO has not been a positive influence during Kawhi's tenure there.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#8 » by Phreak50 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:I'm sure both sides are frustrated. But does it mean the extension won't be signed?

i'll stick to my assumption that Pop is not star-friendly (not a coincidence that Pop has been on a press tour to apologize publicly to Aldridge). i'll assume the Med Staff / FO has not been a positive influence during Kawhi's tenure there.

So you know all this from the most media silent team in history? Get over yourself.

There is no way a humble, young man like Kawhi ‘wants out’ and no way one of the hardest working in the league would sit out to prove a point. Sheesh.

And Pop on a press tour to apologise to LMA? Are you high?

Both parties simply acknowledged there was a mutual give and take.

Having followed the Spurs for nearly 25 years now, I’ve never seen so much made out of nothing. It’s because so many see Kawhi as an absolute generational talent and think they can grab him because he simply ‘wants out’.
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#9 » by mixerball » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:55 pm

kawhi was always an epitome of what a spur player is like... and now this. extremely dissapointed in him.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#10 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:12 pm

I don't see it happening either.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#11 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:29 pm

Phreak50 wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:

So you know all this from the most media silent team in history? Get over yourself.

There is no way a humble, young man like Kawhi ‘wants out’ and no way one of the hardest working in the league would sit out to prove a point. Sheesh.

And Pop on a press tour to apologise to LMA? Are you high?

Both parties simply acknowledged there was a mutual give and take.

Having followed the Spurs for nearly 25 years now, I’ve never seen so much made out of nothing. It’s because so many see Kawhi as an absolute generational talent and think they can grab him because he simply ‘wants out’.

Media narratives are surface layer. What bubbles beneath is more accurate. this volcano is erupting whether or not anyone wants to admit seeing it. Pop is treading lightly.
Riddle me this: when has Pop ever made multiple apologies to a star player for mistreating them and for not bending to accommodating them? never. Odd he's apologizing to Aldridge but NOT to Kawhi. this strife is real. it's been brewing for a long time - this injury issue is the platform that Kawhi is using to finally air his complaints.
it's safe to assume Kawhi may feel as though he's outgrown Pop's heavy handed drill sarge routine. it's also safe to assume Pop is probably 'siding' with Aldridge.

DRose went through this in CHI. Bynum in LAL.

i dont rely on news reports. i know things. i watch the games as well.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,567

Post#12 » by Harry Garris » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 pm

mixerball wrote:kawhi was always an epitome of what a spur player is like... and now this. extremely dissapointed in him.

What has Kawhi done on record other than be understandably frustrated about his injury status? All the Kawhi Leonard wanting out of San Antonio stuff is just media speculation.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#13 » by NoZoLakers » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:06 am

Harry Garris wrote:
mixerball wrote:kawhi was always an epitome of what a spur player is like... and now this. extremely dissapointed in him.

What has Kawhi done on record other than be understandably frustrated about his injury status? All the Kawhi Leonard wanting out of San Antonio stuff is just media speculation.

didnt the media "speculate" that kd n Russ didnt like each other the yr kd was becoming a fa?
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#14 » by druggas » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 am

Where there's smoke..............
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#15 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:44 am

Come back home to LA and be a Clipper legend, Kawhi. :D
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#16 » by texasholdem » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 am

Porzingis/Noah for Kawhi
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:18 am

macNcheese3 wrote:

I don't see it happening either.

I actually don't envision the Spurs offering him the designated player contract. 35% is too big a slice of the pie to give to one player and expect long term team success. And that typically isn't the Spurs MO.

Take a look at OKC if Paul George signs a max with them this summer.
Russel- 35%
George- 30%
Melo- 25% (assuming he opts in)
Adams- aprox. 20%
Roberson- aprox. 10%

That's too many %'s. :D They would be at 120% of the cap with their starters alone. If they are contenders they pay the tax but then they run into the repeater tax. It's no good; you can't spend that much on just a few guys and expect sustained success, particularly in a non-destination franchise. Of course, if they aren't playing well they will try and buy out Melo, but we have seen in the past that he wants every dollar. It's a similar situation to the Clips the last few years with Blake, DJ and CP3. Too much invested in your top guys with nothing left to fill out your bench. (Austin Rivers is Roberson in this comparison)
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#18 » by CelticsWin5 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:24 am

Remember when every bandwagon fan thought espn made this up? "fake news!" they spouted.
DaBulls Bros
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#19 » by DaBulls Bros » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:36 am

The Spurs are finished and Kawhi knows it, why hang around when you’ve got such a bright future ahead of you. By the way ... I thought this coach was a genius. Well, now is the time to prove it.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,320

Post#20 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:49 am

texasholdem wrote:Porzingis/Noah for Kawhi

The Knicks would probably have to give up Porzingis just to move Noah's contract tbh. It's that bad.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Wiretap Discussion