Kawhi Leonard Speaks To Media, Wants To Remain With Spurs For Entire Career

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kawhi Leonard Speaks To Media, Wants To Remain With Spurs For Entire Career 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 7, 2018 5:26 pm

Kawhi Leonard spoke to the media for the first time in weeks after the Spurs' practice on Wednesday.

Leonard said he wants to remain with the Spurs for his entire career.

Leonard's status with the franchise has been uncertain as he deals with a lingering quad injury amid reports of a strain in his relationship with the front office.

Leonard will be eligible for a supermax contract this offseason.

Via Michael C. Wright/ESPN

macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: Kawhi Leonard Speaks To Media, Wants To Remain With Spurs For Entire Career 

Post#2 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 5:36 pm

Just what we expected from KL. All these reports are mere puffs.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:10 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:Just what we expected from KL. All these reports are mere puffs.

lol or he could be pulling a Lamarcus Aldridge who is his current teammate. "I want to be the Best Blazer Ever" Aldridge said one year before his free agency to shutdown trade talk and rumors after he rejected a max extension in 2014. Then he left town the following summer with the Blazers getting nothing in return. Kawhi wants to sign the supermax like Westbrook and Curry before he demands a trade. He doesn't want to lose his supermax eligibility like Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie Irving and Demarcus Cousins by being traded before he signs it. Blake Griffin and Curry were both drafted in 2009. Griffin signed a bird rights max with Clippers (prior to his pistons trade) for 5 years 173M. Curry who had bird rights and met the supermax criteria signed for 5 years 201M. That is a difference of 28M pure cash over 5 years. Then don't forget that Kawhi like Westbrook has both bird rights and achieved the supermax criteria so he can sign his contract and guarantee that 200M+ for his future one full season earlier. That means a lot in today's nba where one injury can drastically tank your market value look at Derrick Rose. Then compare Rose's downfall to that of Chris Bosh and Chandler Parsons who both signed max deals for the most money they can get in free agency regardless if their play dramatically declines or they don't get another chance to play at all.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#4 » by hyberx » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:15 pm

Good for Kawhi and Spurs if this happens. Kawhi is humble, hard-working, and no ego, basically made for the Spurs and its culture. Great match.
macNcheese3
RealGM

Post#5 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:20 pm

Sam195 wrote:
macNcheese3 wrote:Just what we expected from KL. All these reports are mere puffs.

lol or he could be pulling a Lamarcus Aldridge who is his current teammate. "I want to be the Best Blazer Ever" Aldridge said one year before his free agency to shutdown trade talk and rumors after he rejected a max extension in 2014. Then he left town the following summer with the Blazers getting nothing in return. Kawhi wants to sign the supermax like Westbrook and Curry before he demands a trade. He doesn't want to lose his supermax eligibility like Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie Irving and Demarcus Cousins by being traded before he signs it. Blake Griffin and Curry were both drafted in 2009. Griffin signed a bird rights max with Clippers (prior to his pistons trade) for 5 years 173M. Curry who had bird rights and met the supermax criteria signed for 5 years 201M. That is a difference of 28M pure cash over 5 years. Then don't forget that Kawhi like Westbrook has both bird rights and achieved the supermax criteria so he can sign his contract and guarantee that 200M+ for his future one full season earlier. That means a lot in today's nba where one injury can drastically tank your market value look at Derrick Rose. Then compare Rose's downfall to that of Chris Bosh and Chandler Parsons who both signed max deals for the most money they can get in free agency regardless if their play dramatically declines or they don't get another chance to play at all.

I remember LMA saying that vividly. Then again its LMA. In my opinion he has under performed, hes just not that good. I think he would have been nice in POR with the emergence of CJ and DL. Even though they were on the come up before he left. I just have a feeling KL is speaking the truth. Just seems out of character for him, he would have just remained silent otherwise, IMO.
lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Post#6 » by lonea » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:27 pm

like I originally thought.

Pop and the whole spurs team is trolling the media.

Pop 100% for sure knows Kawhi don't want to leave. He just throws garbage out for media to bite on.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#7 » by Sam195 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:34 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

I remember LMA saying that vividly. Then again its LMA. In my opinion he has under performed, hes just not that good. I think he would have been nice in POR with the emergence of CJ and DL. Even though they were on the come up before he left. I just have a feeling KL is speaking the truth. Just seems out of character for him, he would have just remained silent otherwise, IMO.

Lol you can't see him pulling a Kyrie and asking for a trade after he gets his money? Kyrie like Kawhi had one ring with the team that drafted him and looked what appeared to be very happy till he abruptly requested a trade and said he wouldn't show up to training camp if he was still on the Cavs roster. Kawhi is also in the midst of shoe deal negotiations that could definitely change in tone if he played in a bigger market. Jordan Brand reportedly offered him 5m/season the same money John Wall makes. Yet Kawhi's camp looks at the shoe deals recently signed by Durant, Curry, Westbrook and Rose with envy. Then look at the shoe deals recently inked by Harden and Lillard (10 years 100M) who unlike Kawhi don't have rings. Kawhi has 2 DPOYs and a ring to go with multiple all star and all nba selections like Harden. Both have finished runner up in past mvp races and play in Texas yet one is able to negotiate 13 years 200M (15m/season) and the other gets offered 1/3 season.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#8 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:53 pm

This is literally the same platitude that every star says when their free agency is coming up but they're still under contract. It means nothing.
Javier Acosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 632

Post#9 » by Javier Acosta » Wed Mar 7, 2018 6:54 pm

hyberx wrote:Good for Kawhi and Spurs if this happens. Kawhi is humble, hard-working, and no ego, basically made for the Spurs and its culture. Great match.

Or he still has PTSD because his father got shot in front of him. But he is probably fairly high character. Does it guarantee that he will be Duncan... We will see.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#10 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Mar 7, 2018 7:01 pm

he's gone. if SAS can find real value in from a trade partner that Kawhi approves of, Kawhi is on the 1st bird out of town.
been saying it from day one. he's not your typical Spur. he's not at SAS' beck-and-call. it's visa versa.

platitudes are nothing more than a timefiller. translation of talking pts
* no friction and want to be SAS entire career = im not allowed to kill SAS trade leverage by demanding a trade bc i need to get out of here and cannot do so w diminished trade value.
* in the loop on 2nd opinions = team training staff screwed up my body for a few seasons, so i looked elsewhere for 2nd opinions and notified the FO afterwards bc i dont trust team medical staff
* i update POP = SAS better not label me as a malcontent in this league

RESULT: im not gonna let SAS manipulate me and tarnish my name. im not playing until I feel like it.

Kawhi just toed the line. he's not blinking.
watch this game play out.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Mar 7, 2018 7:09 pm

Sam195 wrote:
macNcheese3 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Lol you can't see him pulling a Kyrie and asking for a trade after he gets his money? Kyrie like Kawhi had one ring with the team that drafted him and looked what appeared to be very happy till he abruptly requested a trade and said he wouldn't show up to training camp if he was still on the Cavs roster. Kawhi is also in the midst of shoe deal negotiations that could definitely change in tone if he played in a bigger market. Jordan Brand reportedly offered him 5m/season the same money John Wall makes. Yet Kawhi's camp looks at the shoe deals recently signed by Durant, Curry, Westbrook and Rose with envy. Then look at the shoe deals recently inked by Harden and Lillard (10 years 100M) who unlike Kawhi don't have rings. Kawhi has 2 DPOYs and a ring to go with multiple all star and all nba selections like Harden. Both have finished runner up in past mvp races and play in Texas yet one is able to negotiate 13 years 200M (15m/season) and the other gets offered 1/3 season.

Kyrie was very very unhappy in CLE.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#12 » by BarneyGumble » Wed Mar 7, 2018 7:15 pm

Cant tell if Kawhi has "me fail english" grammar for real or if its just bad RealGM editing. Can anyone vouch for him attending classes at San Diego State?
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,190

Post#13 » by Tofubeque » Wed Mar 7, 2018 7:16 pm

Oh my god you guys, I just heard from my sauces! There’s a HUGE rift between Paul George and the Thunder organization! He’s 100% leaving in the summer! Everyone click my article and tune into my TV interview!

Then when PG denies my report: “Oh he’s just saying the right things. He’s offering platitudes”

Then when PG re-signs with the Thunder: “Oh I guess he changed his mind! I guess they patched things up! Good job by OKC.” Then I stay employed and everyone still clicks my links for some reason.

This is the problem with modern sports reporting. Jalen Rose and Woj can have ZERO sources in the Spurs, and know nothing about Kawhi’s thinking. But they have plausible deniability and no accountability when they’re wrong. And y’all will lap up the excuses and move on to the next story.

“Kawhi hates the Spurs” is particularly juicy clickbait, because he’s playing for a small market, and you can get that traffic from LA and Philly and all the markets that will have cap space soon. “Kawhi probably fine with the Spurs, actually” doesn’t run. It’s transparent, what they’re doing
props Turbozone
macNcheese3
RealGM

Post#14 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 7:27 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:Cant tell if Kawhi has "me fail english" grammar for real or if its just bad RealGM editing. Can anyone vouch for him attending classes at San Diego State?

can most likely blame RealGM.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,568

Post#15 » by Harry Garris » Wed Mar 7, 2018 8:02 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
Sam195 wrote:
macNcheese3 wrote:

According to anonymous sauces, yes. Did Kyrie himself say that? No, he didn't. He asked to be traded after he found out the organization was shopping him around.

But as far as how did he feel about being a Cavalier before that? We don't know.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Mar 7, 2018 8:05 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

According to anonymous sauces, yes. Did Kyrie himself say that? No, he didn't. He asked to be traded after he found out the organization was shopping him around.

But as far as how did he feel about being a Cavalier before that? We don't know.

watch how the "GAME"(off the court) is played. not how press released and public "CYA" comments are posted. certain rules are followed when involving press/media. certain rules are broken behind the scenes.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#17 » by Sam195 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 8:16 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Cavs were never shopping him around - the reports were that Pacers wanted him for PG in some complex 3 or 4 team trade scenario that also involved Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets I think and Cavs entertained the talks but they wanted Love included instead of Kyrie. Pacers didn't want love so the talks broke off and a week later PG got dealt to OKC before the beginning of free agency and the 17-18 salary cap. It also all goes back to the shoes both Lebron and Kyrie wear Nike where Lebron is the bigger star with the huge lifetime deal. No way Nike was going to pay Kyrie fair market value to wear the same brand on the same team. Kyrie's camp like Kawhi's probably looked at the Harden and Lillard shoe deals and were like we want a piece at least in the middle of that range (10-15M/season). A move to a bigger market like Boston where Kyrie is the new alpha and dominant personality could lead to a huge shoe deal from Nike similar to Harden's 200M with Adidas. It's all about championships till it costs you in the bank. Why else do people think Nike brother Kyrie and Lebron are back to such good terms so fast chuckling on the asg bench. This was no Kobe-Shaq feud it was just business baby. Larry O'Brien can't compete with the Benjamins lol.
macNcheese3
RealGM

Post#18 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 8:44 pm

The media is the media man. They gotta drop a story. KL not playing is a big deal, perfect time to break the rumor mill.
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,666

Re: RE: Re: Kawhi Leonard Speaks To Media, Wants To Remain With Spurs For Entire Career 

Post#19 » by ChuckChilly » Wed Mar 7, 2018 9:54 pm

Sam195 wrote:

So let's get this straight. Kawhi wants to sign a 4 year contract and then demand to get traded? I think the Kyrie situation has fooled you into thinking that all a player needs to do is say "I want to be traded" for it happen.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#20 » by OdomFan » Wed Mar 7, 2018 9:56 pm

If I was a player I wouldn't want to leave San Antonio either. They have one of the best family like environments I ever seen in all of my time of watching professional sports. Love that even the legends come in and work Commercials among other things with the current guys from time to time.

Good on Leonard.

Return to Wiretap Discussion