Isaiah Thomas: I'm Not A Sixth Man

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Isaiah Thomas: I'm Not A Sixth Man 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:29 pm

Despite a disappointing 17-18 season in which he's struggled to fully come back from a hip injury, Isaiah Thomas believes he remains a central playing in the NBA as he approaches free agency.

“I'm not no sixth man,” Thomas declared in an interview with USA TODAY Sports this week. “And I won't be a sixth man (in the future). I just want everybody to know that, like clear as can be. I'm a two-time All-Star and a starter who has done things that a lot of people in this league haven't done (when) given that opportunity.

“But I got traded into a situation I can't control. There's nothing bad against (Lakers coach) Luke Walton. There's nothing bad against the Los Angeles Lakers. I'm taking advantage of the opportunity they've given me, and then (we’ll) end the season off strong. And that's all I can do. I'm not coming in here saying, 'Oh, I want this, or this is going to happen.' No, that's not me. I'm just going to come in here and be a professional, and when my name is called I'm going to be more than ready for any opportunity I'm given.”

Thomas is averaging 18.4 points and 5.8 assists since Feb. 23 while helping the Lakers win eight of their past 11 games.

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Re: Isaiah Thomas: I'm Not A Sixth Man 

Post#2 » by caronimo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Way to be humble Isaiah
juduking
Junior
And1: 23

Post#3 » by juduking » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Ah yes the Allen Iverson approach to getting yourself slowly but surely teamless because you wont take a bench role.
"Ball Don't Lie"!
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#4 » by Elnegron » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:10 pm

A glorified ballhog who think will get a max deal. I feel bad for the suckers that sign off on that
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#5 » by jmnvcavs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Why would you want him other than to be a 1st scorer off the bench? That's a perfect role for him
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,355

Post#6 » by PerfectJab » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Elnegron wrote:A glorified ballhog who think will get a max deal. I feel bad for the suckers that sign off on that

Agreed, he needs to chill out a little bit and realize that he was in a situation in Boston where out of necessity he was put in a position that really padded his stats. You're not going to win a championship with him as the number 1. Tip, defense does matter.

Great that he has the confidence but if we are to be real, he definitely IS a sixth man type player on a championship team and a starter on a tanking or treadmill team.
LoveBall04
Sophomore
And1: 171

Post#7 » by LoveBall04 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:23 pm

"and when my name is called I'm going to be more than ready for any opportunity I'm given.”

and if that opportunity is coming off the bench, I'll be ready, but I'm no sixth man. *smh*
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#8 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:24 pm

You definitely will be a star in China and hey there will be Brinks trucks of Chinese dollars for you too :lol:
Ingles is cooked.
Senior
And1: 404

Post#9 » by 1999 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Why should he come off the bench? He’s absolutely right when he said he has done things others haven’t done when given the opportunity. Why should he be penalized for getting hurt? IT is a starter, period.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#10 » by MitchB3 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 pm

I mean Lou Williams is a sixth man but he closes out the Clippers game. Sixth man is just a title, you can always get more minutes than starters.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Shut up and play Isaiah, you’re only hurting your own financial future with all the talk this season.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:34 pm

1999 wrote:Why should he come off the bench? He’s absolutely right when he said he has done things others haven’t done when given the opportunity. Why should he be penalized for getting hurt? IT is a starter, period.

Maybe you haven’t been paying attention in 2018?

At best, it’s been debateable that he’s an NBA starter. We can assess it again when/if he gets healthier.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#13 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:37 pm

he is a starter sure. but he is such a defensive liability.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#14 » by MaxRider » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:42 pm

depend what team you are on
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#15 » by MitchB3 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:44 pm

The_Hater wrote:
1999 wrote:Why should he come off the bench? He’s absolutely right when he said he has done things others haven’t done when given the opportunity. Why should he be penalized for getting hurt? IT is a starter, period.

At best, it’s been debateable that he’s an NBA starter. We can assess it again when/if he gets healthier.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thomais02.html As you scroll down you will see that he's been a career 18.9 scorer. As you said it's debatable but he can start on almost 10 teams in the NBA.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#16 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:44 pm

100%. he's hooping.

he just needs to get his hips/core/legs back to 100. if he gets it back he's a legit tier 2 star.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#17 » by HurricaneKid » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:45 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Its debatable if he is an NBA player. With his RPM at 94th out of 101 PGs in the NBA and #472/502 overall its a wonder why he thinks he can make demands like this. He hasn't been right since the hip injury and needs to prove he can get back to his previous level before he can make pronouncements like this. Sure its unfair that he had to fight and claw his whole life to get the chance he got last year and now he needs to prove it all over again. But that is most assuredly where he is at.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,710

Post#18 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:49 pm

He can start on a bad team or play 6th man on a good team. Not so certain he can start for a good team anymore unless its one with no point guard. And that doesn't currently exist for him.

When your team rolls off so many wins and you're salty about it, it says a lot.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#19 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:He can start on a bad team or play 6th man on a good team. Not so certain he can start for a good team anymore unless its one with no point guard. And that doesn't currently exist for him.

When your team rolls off so many wins and you're salty about it, it says a lot.

2017 BOS
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#20 » by Donnyxc » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:55 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
Elnegron wrote:A glorified ballhog who think will get a max deal. I feel bad for the suckers that sign off on that

Agreed, he needs to chill out a little bit and realize that he was in a situation in Boston where out of necessity he was put in a position that really padded his stats. You're not going to win a championship with him as the number 1. Tip, defense does matter.

Great that he has the confidence but if we are to be real, he definitely IS a sixth man type player on a championship team and a starter on a tanking or treadmill team.

Part of that too was he played with defensive guards in Boston. It's a little easier when Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley are covering your switches on defense.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley

Return to Wiretap Discussion