Rudy Gobert Glad Jazz Didn't Try To Tank

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Rudy Gobert Glad Jazz Didn't Try To Tank 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Rudy Gobert is relieved the Utah Jazz didn't choose to rebuild following the departure of Gordon Hayward in free agency.

“We're past that point,” Gobert told USA TODAY Sports recently about how they recovered from the loss of Hayward last summer. “It doesn't matter who's with me, or who's not with me. I'm just trying to win. I'm not worried about that.”

The Jazz have been buoyed by Donovan Mitchell, who the Jazz traded up to select in last year's draft.

“Just try to teach players how to make winning plays, not only good basketball plays but winning plays,” Gobert said in explaining coach Quin Snyder’s system. “Teach every single one to help the team win games. A lot of teams are very good doing skill work, strength work. But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. I believe you learn how to win by winning. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen."

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Re: Rudy Gobert Glad Jazz Didn't Try To Tank 

Post#2 » by HotelVitale » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Well the loss of Hayward wasn't quite disastrous enough to force their hand, and it happened too late into the offseason for them to really plan around it. They'd already traded for Rubio to entice Hayward to stay, still had Gobert locked up for a long time, plus had Favors, Hood, Burks, etc under contract--and most teams don't blow it up starting in the late summer. Plus once they got a look at Mitchell for a month or two they could see they were ready to compete for a playoff spot.

Big credit to the team for bouncing back from Hayward's loss so quickly, but I don't think they had a realistic choice between tanking and going all out at any moment. They might have at the end of this offseason--if everyone went to pot this season--but it would've been a rash and hasty rebuild if they dumped their vets right after Hayward walked.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#3 » by macNcheese3 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Jazz have made some nice moves to stay competitive.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#4 » by dautjazz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Mitchell is an absolute savior, had it not been for him, we would have been too far out of reach from the playoffs, Ingles certainly has stepped up his game, Favors' healthy return has been key too, O'Neale has been great for the most part, and so on. Rubio was quite bad outside of like 5 games to start the season, there were points where I just wanted to get rid of him for anything because he was playing that bad, a turnover machine and his playmaking simply wasn't there, but over the last 20+ games he's been marvelous. Gobert ofcourse is still our MVP, this team can't go without him, he's the best defensive player in the NBA, and he's very underrated on offense. Two months ago, I have to agree, I was saying, lets tank as it looked like a sweep, but right now, if healthy, the only team I fear is Houston or a healthy GS, though I think we match up pretty well with GS.

Oh and while I had high hopes for Hood, I'm very glad we let him go instead of resigning him. He could shoot us out of games, and his defense was mediocre at best. Crowder is a much better fit for us, and I'm sure he's happy to be here as well.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#5 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 pm

dautjazz wrote:Oh and while I had high hopes for Hood, I'm very glad we let him go instead of resigning him. He could shoot us out of games, and his defense was mediocre at best. .

Sorry, it's just becoming a pet peeve of mine when all the worst defenders in the league are regarded as "mediocre at best" on that end.

I see it all the time. If a guy is a horrendous defender we should label him as such. We certainly have no problems calling terrible offensive players what they are.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:55 pm

They are super lucky Mitchell fell so much. What happened there?

Kudos for Lindsey to make that trade even when they were on a a winning streak, getting a defensive player with the better offensive player. Too bad Hood is injured, otherwise we could know better how he's doing in Cleveland. Interesting that Crowder's ppg immediately goes back to Boston level after being so bad in Cleveland.

Is Gobert gonna get fined? Did he say publicly the team might be tanking? lol
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,859

Post#7 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:01 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:They are super lucky Mitchell fell so much. What happened there?

teams were concerned he had limited upside because he wasn't 17 years old and sashimi raw.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:31 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:They are super lucky Mitchell fell so much. What happened there?

teams were concerned he had limited upside because he wasn't 17 years old and sashimi raw.

Well, he stayed for one more year in college.......he can't be that raw? He averaged 18 in his first November.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#9 » by We Are Groot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:43 am

why isnt' Quin Snyder given more credit here for keeping the Jazz competitive? Just an offhand reference in the article to source some of Rudy's quotes. he's been great for the Jazz. i get the focus on Hayward and Gobert, but Snyder deserves a lot of credit for the team's success.

as a Lakers fan I was disappointed they didn't keep him around and give him consideration for HC duties. i felt all along he was a keeper. glad he got a much deserved spot @ the head of the bench in Utah. he and Gobert are capable of great things together.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#10 » by hyberx » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:23 am

We Are Groot wrote:why isnt' Quin Snyder given more credit here for keeping the Jazz competitive? Just an offhand reference in the article to source some of Rudy's quotes. he's been great for the Jazz. i get the focus on Hayward and Gobert, but Snyder deserves a lot of credit for the team's success.

as a Lakers fan I was disappointed they didn't keep him around and give him consideration for HC duties. i felt all along he was a keeper. glad he got a much deserved spot @ the head of the bench in Utah. he and Gobert are capable of great things together.

Credit goes to Jazz management for not firing Synder when things were bad. Synder absolutely deserve the credit for winning. All too often teams just make coach the easy scapegoat. Synder has a well defined system and seems like the 2nd coming of Jerry Sloan. Wise decision to keep him around.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,859

Post#11 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:39 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Well, he stayed for one more year in college.......he can't be that raw? He averaged 18 in his first November.

i meant they were down on him becausee he was neither young nor raw.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#12 » by We Are Groot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:06 pm

hyberx wrote:
We Are Groot wrote:why isnt' Quin Snyder given more credit here for keeping the Jazz competitive? ...

Credit goes to Jazz management for not firing Synder when things were bad...

sounds like we're of like mind here except for ur point about management. if by "when things went bad" you mean Harward leaving, why would Snyder get any blame for that? if you mean how the Jazz's year has gone before the surge, well, unless the FO wants to look like total douches (not to mention inept) they're gonna give a coach with Snyder's track record at least some leash for the situation to reach an equilibrium. much, much worst coaches have been given much, much more leash. so in essence i guess i'm asking why should the Jazz FO get "credit" for being sensible and making a no-brainer "move"? bc they weren't sheep? it's not like there was an incumbent.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#13 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:07 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

i meant they were down on him becausee he was neither young nor raw.

Cool, well, that's not a very good reason?

A lot of top picks are neither young nor raw.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion