Re: Warriors Will Keep 'Golden State' With Move To San Francisco

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Warriors Will Keep 'Golden State' With Move To San Francisco 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 4, 2018 3:28 pm

Rick Welts announced on KNBR that the Warriors will keep "Golden State" when they relocate to San Francisco for the 19-20 NBA season.

The franchise was called the San Francisco Warriors when they relocated from Philadelphia

The Warriors changed their name in 1971 when they began playing all of their home games in Oakland.

"Let's make it official," said Welts.

Via KNBR

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,730

Post#2 » by the_process » Wed Apr 4, 2018 7:21 pm

I think they ought to change back to San Francisco. If they were the only team in California... then sure, Golden State or California would work.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Wed Apr 4, 2018 7:30 pm

the_process wrote:I think they ought to change back to San Francisco. If they were the only team in California... then sure, Golden State or California would work.

they are the only good team in california
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Apr 4, 2018 7:41 pm

Sam195 wrote:
the_process wrote:I think they ought to change back to San Francisco. If they were the only team in California... then sure, Golden State or California would work.

:rofl:

What happens when one of the other teams become good?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#5 » by Cookin Baskets » Wed Apr 4, 2018 7:45 pm

Wow just call it the city where it is because it makes the move confusing. I mean imagine if anybody else did this like here in Pennsylvania it would be the keystone state 76ers. At least there is only one team not 4 other teams. :lol:
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
the_process
RealGM

Post#6 » by the_process » Wed Apr 4, 2018 9:08 pm

Sam195 wrote:

The Clippers take issue with that statement.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#7 » by MaxRider » Wed Apr 4, 2018 9:57 pm

DeOgar wrote:Wow just call it the city where it is because it makes the move confusing. I mean imagine if anybody else did this like here in Pennsylvania it would be the keystone state 76ers. At least there is only one team not 4 other teams. :lol:

Yeah, Let's change Minnesota Timberwolves to Minneapolis Timberwolves, Utah Jazz to Salt Lake City Jazz, Washington Wizards to Washington DC Wizards
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#8 » by CelticsWin5 » Wed Apr 4, 2018 10:48 pm

"golden state" sounds lame. No other team in pro sports uses a state nickname
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#9 » by Marty McFly » Wed Apr 4, 2018 10:58 pm

CelticsWin5 wrote:"golden state" sounds lame. No other team in pro sports uses a state nickname

gondel state sounds fine. doesn't sound any different than new england patriots.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#10 » by hyberx » Wed Apr 4, 2018 11:12 pm

the_process wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

That likely lottery team?
the_process
RealGM

Post#11 » by the_process » Wed Apr 4, 2018 11:17 pm

hyberx wrote:
the_process wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

That likely lottery team?

If after they traded Blake, they finish 44-38 and hit the lotto... nothing to be ashamed about there. It’s a brutal struggle out West.
the_process
RealGM

Post#12 » by the_process » Wed Apr 4, 2018 11:22 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
CelticsWin5 wrote:"golden state" sounds lame. No other team in pro sports uses a state nickname

gondel state sounds fine. doesn't sound any different than new england patriots.

The Pats use New England because they are a regional team. And if GSW was in Nevada somewhere and called themselves the Silver State Warriors or the Nevada Warriors, then it makes perfect sense. But with there being other teams in California, Golden State doesn’t work IMO. They could use Bay Area Warriors if they wanted?
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#13 » by Marty McFly » Wed Apr 4, 2018 11:41 pm

the_process wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:

The Pats use New England because they are a regional team. And if GSW was in Nevada somewhere and called themselves the Silver State Warriors or the Nevada Warriors, then it makes perfect sense. But with there being other teams in California, Golden State doesn’t work IMO. They could use Bay Area Warriors if they wanted?

that's just pedantic. they can call themselves whatever they choose.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
the_process
RealGM

Post#14 » by the_process » Thu Apr 5, 2018 12:14 am

Marty McFly wrote:
the_process wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:gondel state sounds fine. doesn't sound any different than new england patriots.

that's just pedantic. they can call themselves whatever they choose.

Either you want to be right or you don’t.

alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#15 » by alienpick » Thu Apr 5, 2018 12:41 am

they are in California now and called Golden State, why change the name if they are still moving within California?
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#16 » by CelticsWin5 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 12:52 am

alienpick wrote:

they are in California now and called Golden State, why change the name if they are still moving within California?

Because golden state sounds dumb. Most people with a brain would agree
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#17 » by Cookin Baskets » Thu Apr 5, 2018 1:54 am

MaxRider wrote:
DeOgar wrote:Wow just call it the city where it is because it makes the move confusing. I mean imagine if anybody else did this like here in Pennsylvania it would be the keystone state 76ers. At least there is only one team not 4 other teams. :lol:

Yeah, Let's change Minnesota Timberwolves to Minneapolis Timberwolves, Utah Jazz to Salt Lake City Jazz, Washington Wizards to Washington DC Wizards

Those wouldn't be too bad I like Salt Lake City Jazz,besides it's not like they are called the California Warriors. My point is I just think using a states nickname is stupid for a team name.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#18 » by MaxRider » Thu Apr 5, 2018 1:56 am

DeOgar wrote:
MaxRider wrote:

Those wouldn't be too bad I like Salt Lake City Jazz,besides it's not like they are called the California Warriors. My point is I just think using a states nickname is stupid for a team name.

SLC Jazz
SLC Jazz
SLC Jazz
it sounds like Slick Jazz
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#19 » by dk1115 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 3:31 am

As a San Franciscan, I think keeping it Golden State is much more meaningful. It's really the Bay Area's team anyway.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#20 » by BigTex » Thu Apr 5, 2018 9:35 am

News to the Texas Rangers and the Utah Jazz, I’m sure.

Return to Wiretap Discussion