Re: Danny Green: No Spurs At Odds With Kawhi Leonard

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Danny Green: No Spurs At Odds With Kawhi Leonard 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Apr 5, 2018 1:27 pm

Danny Green clarified how the San Antonio Spurs feel about the ongoing rehab of Kawhi Leonard.

The Spurs had a team meeting a few weeks ago in which Leonard's status was discussed.

"The one person who knows is Kawhi Leonard," said Green. "He had a setback. He had a couple of setbacks. He's still in pain.

"We all text him. We're in touch with him. He's still a very much part of this group, this team. We still have his back. From the team's perspective, there is no one that is at odds with him."

Via Michael Rehome/NBC San Antonio

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Thu Apr 5, 2018 2:55 pm

Team doctors misdiagnose all the time. They really aren't that good. The Spurs probably have made this mistake. I believe Leonard is still genuinely injured. Tony Parker has also been terrible and way out of line.

Take Tracy Mcgrady for example. The Rockets said he could play. Other doctors said he shouldn't even play again. He had no cartilage left and the Rockets doctors say he is fine.
trezer12
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#3 » by trezer12 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 3:39 pm

The team doctors are employed by the organization in whose best interest it is in to have their star player on the floor. There job is more to evaluate whether the player is in a condition to play, rather than make sure he is fully healed.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,356

Post#4 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Apr 5, 2018 4:18 pm

In fairness to the Spurs' doctors, tendinopathy is a poorly-understood injury with no clear best-way to rehab it.
And it's like when you have a muscle tear and it feels better but when you go test it you realize it still hurts so you've set your recovery back. Professional athletes can use MRIs for tears but an MRI doesn't help with tendinopathy, so it's hard to know how long to sit out before giving it a go again.
It's just a very difficult injury to rehab and manage.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Apr 5, 2018 5:38 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Team doctors misdiagnose all the time. They really aren't that good. The Spurs probably have made this mistake. I believe Leonard is still genuinely injured. Tony Parker has also been terrible and way out of line.

Take Tracy Mcgrady for example. The Rockets said he could play. Other doctors said he shouldn't even play again. He had no cartilage left and the Rockets doctors say he is fine.

I get your point, but the Rockets doctors didn't say T-Mac was fine... they said there was nothing more to be done... he was as healed as he was going to be.

trezer12 wrote:The team doctors are employed by the organization in whose best interest it is in to have their star player on the floor. There job is more to evaluate whether the player is in a condition to play, rather than make sure he is fully healed.

Team doctors are paid to keep the players healthy long-term. They are not paid to sacrifice the future for short term gain. If the team's docs thought Kawhi would risk further injury by playing they wouldn't have cleared him. I'm not saying that they are correct in their assessment of his health, just that they are more invested in a players long-term health than their playing time.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#6 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:06 pm

DG is right. all are PROs, they know the game. it's the code: "Guys have to do what's best for them".
odd that the most outspoken re KL/TeamMTgs are the tradebait(DG) and legend-take-it-yr-to-yr(Manu + TP).
Guys who wear the Jersey will always be at odds w the Guy who signs the check.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#7 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:13 pm

good one Danny
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Re: Re: Danny Green: No Spurs At Odds With Kawhi Leonard 

Post#8 » by the_process » Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:35 pm

Green is right. No player has an issue with Kawhi.

It’s Old Man Pop, with a foot out the door who wants to win now at all costs before he retires, that has the problem with Kawhi.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Apr 5, 2018 7:07 pm

the_process wrote:Green is right. No player has an issue with Kawhi.

It’s Old Man Pop, with a foot out the door who wants to win now at all costs before he retires, that has the problem with Kawhi.

careful. you'll be labeled a conspiracy theorist to make note of the obv player v coach feud.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Apr 5, 2018 7:35 pm

the_process wrote:It’s Old Man Pop, with a foot out the door who wants to win now at all costs before he retires, that has the problem with Kawhi.

Why are you saying that?

OP: Tony Parker is a lighthearted guy, people took his comment too seriously.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#11 » by the_process » Thu Apr 5, 2018 7:46 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:

careful. you'll be labeled a conspiracy theorist to make note of the obv player v coach feud.

Casual fans will look at Pop’s coaching record and Kawhi’s salary and immediately think “get back on the floor Kawhi, you slacker”. All while overlooking Pop’s passive aggressive comments. And the fact Pop is two years from retirement. (My guess is he would already be retired now if he hadn’t agreed to take the helm of Team USA in the 2020 Olympics.)
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Apr 5, 2018 8:05 pm

the_process wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:

Casual fans will look at Pop’s coaching record and Kawhi’s salary and immediately think “get back on the floor Kawhi, you slacker”. All while overlooking Pop’s passive aggressive comments. And the fact Pop is two years from retirement. (My guess is he would already be retired now if he hadn’t agreed to take the helm of Team USA in the 2020 Olympics.)

in 2012 - SAS / MIA system were the cat's meow. spread and speed. the league has adjusted and surpassed both programs with bodies+3s. Pop has bought into his own legend. it maybe time for Wyatt Earp to ride off into the sunset before he becomes a cartoon of himself.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach

Post#13 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Apr 5, 2018 8:18 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:

It's not a feud though. That's a pretty hysterical take on it.
Team doctors cleared him and said he isn't risking his long-term health by playing. At that point, it's the coach's job to push the player a bit. Sometimes players need to be pushed or made to be uncomfortable. In terms of injury recovery, learning to manage and tolerate pain is sometimes part of the process. That's why they have physical therapists, who not only teach you exercises to do but motivate you and help you push through the pain so you can recover faster and more fully.
It's not the coach's job to kiss player's behinds all the time. That's the job of agents and the media and fanboys.
There's no reason any of that should result in anything resembling a "feud," though, unless you're suggesting that Kawhi is fully recovered but just sitting out to spite his coach, which I highly doubt. Kawhi isn't generally known to act like a baby like that. I'm guessing he is still having trouble dealing with the pain level associated with playing, and is hoping to work more of the pain out w further rehab before coming back.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Apr 5, 2018 8:20 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:

Team doctors cleared him and said he isn't risking his long-term health by playing. At that point, it's the coach's job to push the player a bit. Sometimes players need to be pushed or made to be uncomfortable. In terms of injury recovery, learning to manage and tolerate pain is sometimes part of the process. That's why they have physical therapists, who not only teach you exercises to do but motivate you and help you push through the pain so you can recover faster and more fully.
It's not the coach's job to kiss player's behinds all the time. That's the job of agents and the media and fanboys.
There's no reason any of that should result in anything resembling a "feud," though, unless you're suggesting that Kawhi is fully recovered but just sitting out to spite his coach, which I highly doubt. Kawhi isn't generally known to act like a baby like that. I'm guessing he is still having trouble dealing with the pain level associated with playing, and is hoping to work more of the pain out w further rehab before coming back.

different visions on how to win. KL's v Pop's.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach

Post#15 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Apr 5, 2018 8:25 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:

Play good defense and score the ball as efficiently as possible? Does Kawhi know something about basketball that the rest of us don't?
:lol:
Please elaborate on what this new "Kawhi vision" on how to win entails?
:roll:
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach

Post#16 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Apr 5, 2018 8:30 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
the_process wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:

in 2012 - SAS / MIA system were the cat's meow. spread and speed. the league has adjusted and surpassed both programs with bodies+3s. Pop has bought into his own legend. it maybe time for Wyatt Earp to ride off into the sunset before he becomes a cartoon of himself.

There are no "secret strategies" in the NBA man. That's not how it works.
Tim Duncan retired and Manu & Tony got real old and the team took a hit in terms of winning. But they're also still a playoff team, and have a top-5 defense, and that's without their best player.
I think Pop's doing fine. He just doesn't have as good of personnel to work with.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Apr 5, 2018 8:32 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:

Play good defense and score the ball as efficiently as possible? Does Kawhi know something about basketball that the rest of us don't?
:lol:
Please elaborate on what this new "Kawhi vision" on how to win entails?
:roll:

look how many strides per possession required by POP on O to get a "needed" bucket. look at the switch and chase concept on D. how many strides? wearing down the body of superstar.

look at how KL plays when he constantly breaks protocol. does he shake off on D and glove the opposing superstar? does he shake off the O and handle top of the circle iso?
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Apr 5, 2018 8:33 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:
the_process wrote:

Tim Duncan retired and Manu & Tony got real old and the team took a hit in terms of winning. But they're also still a playoff team, and have a top-5 defense, and that's without their best player.
I think Pop's doing fine. He just doesn't have as good of personnel to work with.

who said secret strat?
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach

Post#19 » by CIN-C-STAR » Fri Apr 6, 2018 3:43 am

gordoncatrell wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:

who said secret strat?

You plainly implied that other teams have passed the Spurs and Pop by in terms of strategy. You basically claimed that Pop's system is outdated and he can't keep up with modern basketball.
Which is ridiculous. All the coaches steal stuff from each other all the time. Pop isn't married to a single system or a single way of running offense anyway.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Apr 6, 2018 3:50 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:

who said secret strat?

You plainly implied that other teams have passed the Spurs and Pop by in terms of strategy. You basically claimed that Pop's system is outdated and he can't keep up with modern basketball.
Which is ridiculous. All the coaches steal stuff from each other all the time. Pop isn't married to a single system or a single way of running offense anyway.

tell me why POP spent the first few months of this season saying "Whoopsy, sorry LMA. im outdated. let me adjust to you."?
and yes, his system is outdated for the EXPECTATION LEVEL of SAS. his system is GOOD, but it's not gonna beat the topshelf systems. think Phil's triangle in 2011-2017.
why hasnt Carlisle system worked? outdated
why hasnt DOC or SVG systems worked? SPO's? outdated.
why has POP's system looked so pitiful against top teams in the last 2-3 yrs? and when it hadnt looked terrible, who was the equalizer? eh em, KL.
the longer the Coach has been in the league, the tougher it is for them to reinvent. THIBS is trying to reinvent in MIN, mixed results.

there are NO secrets, but each StarName coach brings THEIR system, so that can stamp their name when/if it succeeds.
POP system is TD-TP-MANU-KL.

Return to Wiretap Discussion