Kevin Durant To Become Free Agent, Seek New Deal With Warriors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kevin Durant To Become Free Agent, Seek New Deal With Warriors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Kevin Durant will decline his player option for the 18-19 season to become a free agent.

Durant took a discounted two-year, $51 million deal last offseason, taking $10 million less than his max salary for the 17-18 season. Durant's decision to take less money allowed the Warriors to re-sign Andre Iguodala and Shaun Livingston.

Durant has yet to decide what type of contract he will seek this offseason, but there are no incentives for him to take a lesser deal.

In early March, Durant told The Athletic: "It made sense to do the one-year deal. I'm sure here soon I'll want to sign a long-term deal just to feel stable. But I'm enjoying every moment of it, so I'm not trying to look too far down the line."

Via Chris Haynes/ESPN

Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Re: Kevin Durant To Become Free Agent, Seek New Deal With Warriors 

Post#2 » by Heat3 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Can they use the cap space to sign Lebron and leave KD out in the cold? :lol:
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:16 pm

They will expect him to sign another discounted deal till he has full bird rights and a lower cap hold similar to Curry in the 2019 summer. Then they will supermax him (10+ seasons and bird rights) with no opt out so they have him locked like Curry as a long term asset. Durant won't be eligible for a no-trade clause either which Lacob seems to be reluctant to give looking at how both lebron and melo held the cavs and and knicks hostage.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#4 » by OdomFan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Heat3 wrote:Can they use the cap space to sign Lebron and leave KD out in the cold? :lol:

Ha. Where do you think KD would go next if that happend?
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#5 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Time to come home to the Wizards :nod:
TheSeeker
Sophomore
And1: 61

Post#6 » by TheSeeker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Unless of course (insert team here) beats the Warriors in the playoffs. Then Durant will sign with that team next year. :lol:
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#7 » by cheese318 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm

I thought one per team? Designated player assignment

Sam195 wrote:They will expect him to sign another discounted deal till he has full bird rights and a lower cap hold similar to Curry in the 2019 summer. Then they will supermax him (10+ seasons and bird rights) with no opt out so they have him locked like Curry as a long term asset. Durant won't be eligible for a no-trade clause either which Lacob seems to be reluctant to give looking at how both lebron and melo held the cavs and and knicks hostage.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#8 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:58 pm

No surprise here.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:22 pm

cheese318 wrote:I thought one per team? Designated player assignment

Sam195 wrote:They will expect him to sign another discounted deal till he has full bird rights and a lower cap hold similar to Curry in the 2019 summer. Then they will supermax him (10+ seasons and bird rights) with no opt out so they have him locked like Curry as a long term asset. Durant won't be eligible for a no-trade clause either which Lacob seems to be reluctant to give looking at how both lebron and melo held the cavs and and knicks hostage.

2 per team... but he isn't eligible for a designated player contract. Nor does he need one because he can get a 35% max deal as a 10 year vet.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#10 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 pm

keep an eye on AD.
dont be surprised IF Dray and/or Klay are available for trade this offseason.
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#11 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:keep an eye on AD.
dont be surprised if Dray and/or Klay are available for trade this offseason.

Being the bias celtics fan I am I would love to see the celtics scrap together a deal to land AD, HOWEVER if you can get an offer of Klay, Dray and Bell; the Pelicans would be (Please Use More Appropriate Word) to pass that up especially if they are resigning DMC
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:17 pm

TheSeeker wrote:Unless of course (insert team here) beats the Warriors in the playoffs. Then Durant will sign with that team next year. :lol:

They are looking vulnerable without Steph, just got thrashed by the Jazz.

Having him instead of Favors would make a lot of sense.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#13 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 pm

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:keep an eye on AD.
dont be surprised if Dray and/or Klay are available for trade this offseason.

Being the bias celtics fan I am I would love to see the celtics scrap together a deal to land AD, HOWEVER if you can get an offer of Klay, Dray and Bell; the Pelicans would be (Please Use More Appropriate Word) to pass that up especially if they are resigning DMC

Brown is the next JimmyButler; watch Brown breakout this postseason. Tatum is coming on fast as well. BOS has a full cupboard.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:26 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
TheSeeker wrote:Unless of course (insert team here) beats the Warriors in the playoffs. Then Durant will sign with that team next year. :lol:

Did you just suggest that Durant would consider going to Utah?

GSW have nothing to play for while the Jazz had serious seeding stakes on the line. I'm sure GSW would have rolled out a D-league team if the league would allow it. Their one goal was to not turn an ankle.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#15 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:45 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

GSW have nothing to play for while the Jazz had serious seeding stakes on the line. I'm sure GSW would have rolled out a D-league team if the league would allow it. Their one goal was to not turn an ankle.

True, true, but they were also 7-10 since Steph got injured.

If they Jazz beat the Blazers they might play the Dubs in the 2nd round, well, now maybe KD would become a Blazer? :lol:

Having him instead of Aminu at the 4 spot wouldn't be bad either!
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:17 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:They are looking vulnerable without Steph, just got thrashed by the Jazz.

If they Jazz beat the Blazers they might play the Dubs in the 2nd round, well, now maybe KD would become a Blazer? :lol:

There is already too much hero ball here in Portland. :D

When Steph went down they had no hope of catching the Rockets and the Blazers had no hope of catching them. Maybe if GSW dismantle the Wolves without Steph you'll take them more seriously. They've just been cruising... and my biggest hope is they can't quite get it in gear.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#17 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:38 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Did you just suggest that Durant would consider going to Utah?

When Steph went down they had no hope of catching the Rockets and the Blazers had no hope of catching them. Maybe if GSW dismantle the Wolves without Steph you'll take them more seriously. They've just been cruising... and my biggest hope is they can't quite get it in gear.

~lol~ you mean you don't want him even if he wants to sign with the Blazers?!

Well, they're gonna face the Spurs, which would be easy with Kawaii. I can see that he comes back play a bit off the bench in game 2 and then play all out in game 3. Shock the world and promote his shoes.

The Wolves are gonna be tough, they've got Butler to guard Harden, who's Haren gonna guard? Lets see if Wiggins the max guy can make them pay.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:45 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:True, true, but they were also 7-10 since Steph got injured.

Well, they're gonna face the Spurs, which would be easy with Kawaii. I can see that he comes back play a bit off the bench in game 2 and then play all out in game 3. Shock the world and promote his shoes.

The Wolves are gonna be tough, they've got Butler to guard Harden, who's Haren gonna guard? Lets see if Wiggins the max guy can make them pay.

No, I don't want Durant in Portland. How's he doing without Steph? And Lillard is closer to Westbrook-lite than Steph. How did Durant/Westbrook work out? No, I would rather add two $17M players than one $35M player. It's a more efficient use of the cap.

I don't expect Kawhi to come back or that the Spurs would have any flow if he did. But I wouldn't be surprised if Pop out coached Kerr. Stranger things have happened.

No, Wiggins can't make them pay. And match-ups don't matter because the Rockets are switching everything and Harden is holding his own. I expect some folks to bring their brooms to the arena. Five games tops.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#19 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:There is already too much hero ball here in Portland. :D

No, I don't want Durant in Portland. How's he doing without Steph? And Lillard is closer to Westbrook-lite than Steph. How did Durant/Westbrook work out? No, I would rather add two $17M players than one $35M player. It's a more efficient use of the cap.

I don't expect Kawhi to come back or that the Spurs would have any flow if he did. But I wouldn't be surprised if Pop out coached Kerr. Stranger things have happened.

No, Wiggins can't make them pay. And match-ups don't matter because the Rockets are switching everything and Harden is holding his own. I expect some folks to bring their brooms to the arena. Five games tops.

~lol~ Poor KD.

OTOH, you think you guys can beat them with/without Steph?

That's true, the Spurs and Dubs are both without their best player, it is possible, even tho the Spurs do have some talent deficiency.

Lets come back to this after the Wolves/Rockets series. Gonna be interesting. :wink:
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:33 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:~lol~ you mean you don't want him even if he wants to sign with the Blazers?!

~lol~ Poor KD.

OTOH, you think you guys can beat them with/without Steph?

That's true, the Spurs and Dubs are both without their best player, it is possible, even tho the Spurs do have some talent deficiency.

Lets come back to this after the Wolves/Rockets series. Gonna be interesting. :wink:

No, I don't think the Blazers can beat them without Steph.

But, yeah, let's revisit this in 4 or 5 games when the Rockets are resting. :D

Return to Wiretap Discussion