New Book Details Involvement Of Isiah Thomas In 2011 Carmelo Anthony Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

New Book Details Involvement Of Isiah Thomas In 2011 Carmelo Anthony Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Isiah Thomas played a pivotal role in the New York Knicks' trade for Carmelo Anthony in 2011, according to a new book by Ian Thomsen.

The Knicks and Nets were bidding for Anthony but Donnie Walsh's reluctance to include Timofey Mozgov was holding back a deal from getting done.

"Thomas and I had been sharing information for years, he had provided me with insight on the new generation of AAU players who were seizing control of the NBA, and I believed he would be interested in hearing about Anthony," wrote Thomsen. "But Thomas was gunshy. It had been three years since his departure from the Knicks and he was still being criticized in New York as if he had never left. He said he didn't know (former Nuggets exec Masai) Ujiri, and the last thing he needed was to have it leaked that he was involved in the talks for Anthony. He made it clear that he no longer had authority within the Knicks organization, which meant he had everything to lose and nothing to gain. Thomas could see how this would play out: The trade with the Knicks would collapse, word would get out of his involvement and he would be the scapegoat. 'I don't want anything to do with it,' he said.

“I explained why I had assumed that he would be interested in hearing about the negotiations. Anthony had stuck out his neck to force a trade to New York, and if the trade was doomed to fall apart because the Knicks weren't willing to include a back-end player like Mozgov, then it wouldn't only be Anthony who would be furious. Anthony's fellow NBA stars — his close friends — would be angry with the Knicks too, and it would become more difficult than ever for the Knicks to recruit another star in years to come. The future of the Knicks mattered not at all to me, but I figured it would be important to Thomas. He said he agreed with my point of view, as I knew he would, since he had helped me to understand this dynamic over several years of conversations.

“Thomas thanked me for the call and then insisted that he was going to keep out of it. His goal was to get on with his own life. If the Knicks were going to make the trade, then let them figure it out."

Thomas, however, did not stay out of it despite coaching at Florida International at the time.

"My phone buzzed with the call from Isiah Thomas. 'Well, I passed on the information,’ he said, without saying to whom it had been passed. 'Now we'll see what happens.' The next morning, the news broke that Timofey Mozgov had been included in the Knicks' offer to Denver. That night the trade was completed."

Via Stefan Bondy/New York Daily News

macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: New Book Details Involvement Of Isiah Thomas In 2011 Carmelo Anthony Trade 

Post#2 » by macNcheese3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Why is this not shocking?
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Maybe Isaiah could have advised Dolan that if he was selling the farm to get melo than he should not offer a 2014 opt out. This way Knicks might have had another year to think through before offering Melo that awful contract with a no trade clause.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#4 » by dice » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:38 pm

one more bad deal for old time's sake

seriously, who are these superstars that would've said "you didn't trade for melo so I'm not going there either!"?

the irony is that the knicks were aaaaaalmost out from under the eddy curry deal and then went and used it to take on another bad contract in melo (and then another even worse contract for melo)
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#5 » by br7knicks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 pm

so does this mean we can go back in time and void the trade? most of us fans didn't want his ass here in NY anyway, or isiah's
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#6 » by br7knicks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:03 pm

RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Just hire Zeke as the GM and coach again.

Oh, and they could have Mozgov back
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#8 » by imDatknicksTape » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:50 am

Sam195 wrote:Maybe Isaiah could have advised Dolan that if he was selling the farm to get melo than he should not offer a 2014 opt out. This way Knicks might have had another year to think through before offering Melo that awful contract with a no trade clause.

there are worse contracts in the NBA right now than the Melo contract. Media overrated his contract as the worst and it is by far not the worst. I could name at least 3 contracts that are worse than what melo got signed for in 2014.

media keeps changing their story about the 2011 trade, first it was dolan that forced it, now its isiah.

Keep Melos Name out of knicks, hes done with knicks and onto better things.......while the knicks... thats another story.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#9 » by Sam195 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:52 am

imDatknicksTape wrote:
Sam195 wrote:Maybe Isaiah could have advised Dolan that if he was selling the farm to get melo than he should not offer a 2014 opt out. This way Knicks might have had another year to think through before offering Melo that awful contract with a no trade clause.

there are worse contracts in the NBA right now than the Melo contract. Media overrated his contract as the worst and it is by far not the worst. I could name at least 3 contracts that are worse than what melo got signed for in 2014.

media keeps changing their story about the 2011 trade, first it was dolan that forced it, now its isiah.

Keep Melos Name out of knicks, hes done with knicks and onto better things.......while the knicks... thats another story.

It was not the worst contract in terms of production but it was the worst contract in terms of getting fair value because he held a no-trade clause similar to Kobe and still wanted out. He basically told the Knicks trade me to the Rockets or I'm not showing up to training camp but the Knicks were refusing to take back the albatross Ryan Anderson contract. The Rockets who also traded away future first rounders to dump Jeremy Lin, acquire Lou Williams and then sign and trade for Chris Paul were refusing to include any first round picks in their Melo offer. So there was an impasse for weeks and then that bandit Sam Presti picked up the phone and offered a similar deal to the rockets including Kanter's albatross contract which at least was one year shorter and got a deal done. Presti did the same thing last minute to acquire Paul George by offering up a locked up Victor Oladipo (extended 4 years below max with no opt out) and Sabonis (a blue chip prospect instead of draft compensation) instead of the Cavs three team proposal or whatever that would have got pacers a disgruntled Kevin Love (forced a trade out of a small market already because it was constantly stuck rebuilding) and draft compensation (2 protected low first rounders I think).
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#10 » by PrecociousNeoph » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:46 am

he just can't mind his own business.

and who the hell does this person think he is by getting involved also? i wonder if he had some kind of interest in seeing the trade go through that is not being disclosed
“Bye, Felicia.”

Return to Wiretap Discussion