James Dolan: A Great Player In Basketball Is The Team

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

James Dolan: A Great Player In Basketball Is The Team 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:03 pm

James Dolan talked about the New York Knicks as they missed the playoffs again.

Dolan acknowledged the significance of having Kristaps Porzingis to build around.

“Basketball is different than hockey,” Dolan said. “A great player in hockey is the difference, but a great player in basketball is the team.

“And I think we have a great player in Porzingis. We just have to build around him.”

The Knicks will be without Porzingis while he rehabs his torn ACL.

“I’ve been told everything from December to him being out for the season, so I don’t know what to expect on that,” Dolan said. “But we can’t just sit on our ass while he’s away. We need to develop a team and then integrate him into it when he comes back.”

Via Larry Brooks/New York Post

SaskaBall
Sophomore
And1: 78

Re: James Dolan: A Great Player In Basketball Is The Team 

Post#2 » by SaskaBall » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:18 pm

"The Knicks will be without Porzingis while he rehabs his torn ACL."

What a weird thing to write. It's not like the rest of the Knicks are together right now.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#3 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:36 pm

on the record quotes from Dolan have been homeruns thus far. why cant this mentality be applied behind the scenes when the cams are off?
bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Post#4 » by bj2323 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:08 pm

This statement is true, but it doesnt have to be. The NBA is so driven by star players that it completely ignores that it is a team sport. I would say there are 6 elite players in the NBA (James, Durant, Leonard, Harden, Davis and Curry) - players who could get you to the NBA Finals on their own, and about 60 "great" players (list changes every season). Let's be honest, there are like 7 dudes at the position and same skill level as Kristaps in the NBA. If you don't have one of those 6 elite guys, then a team should look to build chemistry and learn how to play team ball. Mid 2000 Detroit Pistons is a prime example that you don't need a superstar to win.

If you can patiently build a team of 12 selfless and committed players, and develop a system under a coherent coach (without firing him after a season), then I think any NBA team could build a championship squad. Spurs have been able to sustain success all these years under the same formula. Kawhi even became an "elite" player through this process. Besides, if you rely solely on your "great" or "elite" player, then you're doomed the day he gets hurt or leaves in free agency.
I likes sports
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 am

Having a good administration is just as important.

Stop deflecting the blame.

Bigs who can do a lot are very risky to injuries.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#6 » by Sam195 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Dolan manages the NY Rangers just like the Knicks. He is star obsessed and mortgages the future for either overrated or over the hill players.

He traded the farm for Carmelo Anthony and gave up a first rounder for Andrea Bargnani

He traded multiple rotation players and three first round picks for Rick Nash and a over the hill Martin St.Louis

And just like the Melo trade to OKC, he traded Rick Nash to the Boston Bruins for pennies on dollar compared to what he initially paid to acquire the former star

And I can add the multiple coach firings on the list too lol
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#7 » by Sam195 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:29 pm

bj2323 wrote:This statement is true, but it doesnt have to be. The NBA is so driven by star players that it completely ignores that it is a team sport. I would say there are 6 elite players in the NBA (James, Durant, Leonard, Harden, Davis and Curry) - players who could get you to the NBA Finals on their own, and about 60 "great" players (list changes every season). Let's be honest, there are like 7 dudes at the position and same skill level as Kristaps in the NBA. If you don't have one of those 6 elite guys, then a team should look to build chemistry and learn how to play team ball. Mid 2000 Detroit Pistons is a prime example that you don't need a superstar to win.

If you can patiently build a team of 12 selfless and committed players, and develop a system under a coherent coach (without firing him after a season), then I think any NBA team could build a championship squad. Spurs have been able to sustain success all these years under the same formula. Kawhi even became an "elite" player through this process. Besides, if you rely solely on your "great" or "elite" player, then you're doomed the day he gets hurt or leaves in free agency.

You don't consider Westbrook an elite player? And the 2011 Mavs team is a better example than the 2004 Pistons - Dirk was 33 and Kidd was 38. Both those two teams also won titles because their opponents the 2000 Lakers and 2011 Heat choked. It is also similar to the Rockets' two championships in the Hakeem era when Jordan took his first retirement.
itsme23
Rookie
And1: 1,064

Post#8 » by itsme23 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Sam195 wrote:Dolan manages the NY Rangers just like the Knicks. He is star obsessed and mortgages the future for either overrated or over the hill players.

He traded the farm for Carmelo Anthony and gave up a first rounder for Andrea Bargnani

He traded multiple rotation players and three first round picks for Rick Nash and a over the hill Martin St.Louis

And just like the Melo trade to OKC, he traded Rick Nash to the Boston Bruins for pennies on dollar compared to what he initially paid to acquire the former star

And I can add the multiple coach firings on the list too lol

Dolan fears Masai!!!!!!
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#9 » by LaRance » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Oh SHUTUP!!! Dolan :banghead: I wish this guy would sell the company

Return to Wiretap Discussion