Hassan Whiteside Laments Lack Of Involvement In Miami Offense

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Hassan Whiteside Laments Lack Of Involvement In Miami Offense 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:05 pm

Hassan Whiteside complained about Miami's offensive approach and hot it has impacted his production.

"It's just different, man. I feel like our offense is a lot different. I'm not as involved in as many dribble handoffs as I was and post-ups as I was in the regular season," Whiteside said. "That's what coach [Erik Spoelstra] wants. Coach wants me to just be in the corner and set picks. That's what he wants. I've just got to trust it."

Whiteside is averaging just 3.7 points in 13 minutes per game during the first three games of the playoffs.

"I want to get more rebounds out there. I want to get more minutes out there. I'm just going to keep trusting coach's decision-making," Whiteside said. "Even with the fouls, I still could have been out there. I wouldn't have fouled out. I am going to keep trusting coach's decision-making."

Earlier this season, Whiteside was fined an undisclosed amount by the Heat for "comments detrimental to the team" in response to his remarks expressing frustration over a diminished role.

Via Ian Begley/ESPN

gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Re: Hassan Whiteside Laments Lack Of Involvement In Miami Offense 

Post#2 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 pm

he's a Bynum sized headache.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,290

Post#3 » by raptorstime » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:24 pm

bumside needs to look in the mirror
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#4 » by HeatFanLifer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:07 am

Maybe he should look at his lack of defense as the reason for his lack of being out there. Try not turning the ball over, committing careless fouls, and allowing Embiid to absolutely destroy your team with you out there.
OP for NBA FT record
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:26 am

HeatFanLifer wrote:Maybe he should look at his lack of defense as the reason for his lack of being out there. Try not turning the ball over, committing careless fouls, and allowing Embiid to absolutely destroy your team with you out there.

He doesn't play good D now?

OP: I thought the first two games with Embiid out, the Heat had to go small. Very surprised it's the same thing in game 3. Was it foul trouble? He did have 4 fouls.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#6 » by br7knicks » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:11 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:Maybe he should look at his lack of defense as the reason for his lack of being out there. Try not turning the ball over, committing careless fouls, and allowing Embiid to absolutely destroy your team with you out there.

OP: I thought the first two games with Embiid out, the Heat had to go small. Very surprised it's the same thing in game 3. Was it foul trouble? He did have 4 fouls.

Getting blocks does not mean you're a good defensive player. Unless you're someone who only looks at stats, then your opinion doesn't have any merit at all.

You're just not good, Whiteside. The league caught up to your game, and you're not good enough to adjust. Be happy you got paid, and call it quits.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
quatin
Senior
And1: 414

Post#7 » by quatin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:40 am

In other news. Miami Heat laments the lack of effort by Whiteside on defense. Heat wouldn't have to go small if Whiteside would just run back on defense.
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#8 » by LeMasta » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:46 am

Remember when people said Whiteside was better than Gobert?
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#9 » by Simmons25 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:16 am

Fishlips Whiteside is such a head case and a cancer. Miami are going to be stuck with that contract for a few years yet.
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#10 » by Bruteque » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:36 am

He's getting in touch with his inner Dwight Howard.
BooRadleysHouse
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#11 » by BooRadleysHouse » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:52 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:

No, he does not play good defense. I saw an interesting article a while back where someone looked into his advanced defensive stats and they are really bad this year. I think he is a good reserve, “throwback” center but certainly not someone who is living up to his contract. I think he will get traded this offseason, but Miami won’t get anything valuable in return. Hell, they may even have to give up an asset.
Kurosawa0
Analyst
And1: 3,276

Post#12 » by Kurosawa0 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:36 am

gordoncatrell wrote:he's a Bynum sized headache.

Bynum was at least good when he was healthy.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#13 » by KingDavid » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:03 pm

BooRadleysHouse wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

No, he does not play good defense. I saw an interesting article a while back where someone looked into his advanced defensive stats and they are really bad this year. I think he is a good reserve, “throwback” center but certainly not someone who is living up to his contract. I think he will get traded this offseason, but Miami won’t get anything valuable in return. Hell, they may even have to give up an asset.

It's not quite that simple. He's been playing with a fat knee brace for most of the year that has hampered his movement and his vertical. Don't get me, wrong I'm upset with his lack of effort, yet understanding as well. What's the point if you're not going to be rewarded with any touches or minutes?

Back to the defense, the players he's on the floor with matter just as much, if not more. He protects the rim and intimidates players. The problem I'm noticing, especially against Philly, is that while we may try to trap from time to time, we don't switch on screens which puts the on ball defender in horrible position to stop or inhibit the drive. Whiteside then has to leave his man to cover the drive, weakside comes down to help, ballhandler swings for an open shot. Or Whiteside's opponent is a 3pt bomber who drags Hassan out of the paint which leaves a wide open rim. Our man d can get putrid at that point and thats usually when things fall apart.

The makeup of our team and offense isn't fit for Hassan. He would flourish with a distributor at pg and snipers everywhere. But you could say that about a lot of big men. Notice how Bam has looked bad as well in this series? Well if that kid doesn't get a jumpshot soon...

Kelly Olynyk looked good because he spaces the floor. That's what Spo wants from his bigs. Basically Chris Bosh, lol.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#14 » by macNcheese3 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:17 pm

they will try and move him. maybe PHX would bite? If they could send the same salary back. Chandler as an expiring?
macNcheese3
RealGM

Post#15 » by macNcheese3 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:17 pm

they will try and move him. maybe PHX would bite? If they could send the same salary back. Chandler as an expiring?
macNcheese3
RealGM

Post#16 » by macNcheese3 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:18 pm

LeMasta wrote:Remember when people said Whiteside was better than Gobert?

quite sad
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#17 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:06 pm

br7knicks wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

Getting blocks does not mean you're a good defensive player. Unless you're someone who only looks at stats, then your opinion doesn't have any merit at all.

You're just not good, Whiteside. The league caught up to your game, and you're not good enough to adjust. Be happy you got paid, and call it quits.

Na, it's the other way around, he earned his contract with his defense and I watched quite a bit of that, really impressive. Now if we look at the stats, he averaged 3.9 and 4.6 blocks per 36, that would definitely change how the opposing team play offense even if he's not a very good man defender. After the contract, it's only 2.4 and 2.5, still pretty good but it's just normal. The advanced defensive stats tell the same story.

It's interesting that his rebounding and scoring numbers per 36 actually improved a bit. Sounds like Dwight.

OTOH, Embiid suddenly went 2-11, does it mean he's still capable if he puts his mind into it?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion