Mike D'Antoni Outlined Clint Capela's Rise Resulting In $80M Contract

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Mike D'Antoni Outlined Clint Capela's Rise Resulting In $80M Contract 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 1, 2018 8:00 pm

Clint Capela has emerged into one of the NBA's best big men since the arrival of Mike D'Antoni.

When D'Antoni was hired by the Rockets, he pulled Capela aside at training camp and outlined his vision for him.

"This is what you’re going to do for us,” D’Antoni told Capela. “Protect the rim, run the floor, set a pick, roll to the basket—oh, it didn’t work—go back, set another pick and do it over again. I’m going to yell at you, but if we win a championship, you’ll be the reason, and if we lose, it’s not your fault. We’ll still probably give you $80 million.”

Capela will be a restricted free agent this offseason and figures to receive a contract in excess of $80 million.

Via Lee Jenkins/Sports Illustrated

gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Re: Mike D'Antoni Outlined Clint Capela's Rise Resulting In $80M Contract 

Post#2 » by gordoncatrell » Tue May 1, 2018 8:06 pm

pay the kid. DWIGHT who?
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed May 2, 2018 4:31 am

Dwight is really a tragedy.

A'cappella's gonna get paid
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#4 » by oceanlife » Wed May 2, 2018 7:02 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:Dwight is really a tragedy.

His athleticism has diminished, but Dwight even to this day has the ability to run a pick and roll efficiently. He has the ability to get points for his team off of offensive rebounds. He has the ability to limit penetration into the paint and greatly help a defense. But he still does not play to those strengths. For whatever reason, Dwight is convinced he is a 1990's traditional big man when in reality he could have been a rich mans Clint Capela.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed May 2, 2018 7:53 am

oceanlife wrote:

His athleticism has diminished, but Dwight even to this day has the ability to run a pick and roll efficiently. He has the ability to get points for his team off of offensive rebounds. He has the ability to limit penetration into the paint and greatly help a defense. But he still does not play to those strengths. For whatever reason, Dwight is convinced he is a 1990's traditional big man when in reality he could have been a rich mans Clint Capela.

Wasn't he hurt by comments from Shaq or something like that?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#6 » by oceanlife » Wed May 2, 2018 10:47 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
oceanlife wrote:

I remember Shaq saying over and over if Dwight wanted to be Superman he needed to get 28/15 every game. Shaq told Dwight to do 4 post ups and get a put back every quarter and to Dwights credit, he followed Shaqs advice. Only problem was that he wasn't as good as Shaq and ended up turning the ball over and ruining the offense.

Dwight just needed to play his own game, not try to be Shaq 2.0.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu May 3, 2018 4:19 am

oceanlife wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
oceanlife wrote:

I remember Shaq saying over and over if Dwight wanted to be Superman he needed to get 28/15 every game. Shaq told Dwight to do 4 post ups and get a put back every quarter and to Dwights credit, he followed Shaqs advice. Only problem was that he wasn't as good as Shaq and ended up turning the ball over and ruining the offense.

Dwight just needed to play his own game, not try to be Shaq 2.0.

Sigh......stupid Dwight, ruined by Shaq. Different player, different era.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion